Home Main Category Personal Defense

Motorcycle carry?

JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
Has this subject been done before? I ride a bike quite often and got to thinking today about the best way to carry on a bike. I'm sure I'm overlooking circumstances and use, but im trying to consider different scenarios. I tossed out the idea of clutch or throttle hand because I doubt you'd ever legally have to do some Hollywood style shooting with the bike moving but you never know. I often hold the clutch in at traffic lights so I figure I'm doing well with keeping my gun holsters on my right side (owb but covered by shirt). Im just curious if this needs more thought. Crap can hit the fan in no time flat when you're seemingly minding your business at a traffic light or even riding along for that matter.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,099 Senior Member
    I frequently carried my a Glock 36 in a shoulder/chest rig while riding my motorcycle...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I carry OWB covered by a shirt like usual.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,305 Senior Member
    I am not a rider, and the only input I have is a family friend - also a cop- that was carrying his issue gun (Beretta 92) in a shoulder holster when he wrecked his bike swerving to miss a deer.

The gun cracked two of his ribs when he came down on it.  The only injuries he had because he was wearing full leathers and helmet.

I would say a couple busted ribs were better than carrying small-of-of-the-back!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,905 Senior Member
    Some old time law men and even bad guys sewed leather holsters inside hip pockets and vests and coats.

A leather motorcycle jacket may offer a fine place for such things?
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
    We have fewer motorcycle riders than i anticipated. I reckon im carrying good enough the way I am.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 68 Member

Concealed or open?  Here in AZ bikers, err motorcyclists, most commonly have a belt holster about 4 o’clock if right handed.  AZ is constitutional carry meaning no permit open or concealed so no one gives much thought to completely coverage particularly in the summer heat.  Our motorcycle police use the standard LEO utility belt, holster.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
    I always conceal carry. I like the element of surprise.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,948 Senior Member
    Japhy said:
    Randall Tex Cobb in Raising Arizona 1987

Top 5 movie at our house.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,758 Senior Member
    I am a fan of using the Sneaky Pete holsters. I carry using it whether in my truck or on the bike. You can wear it with almost any attire and not attract much attention. You can buy them for either left or right hand draw. For motorcycles, if you are right handed, you could buy one for left hand draw, wear it on your right or left hip and draw with the left hand while holding the throttle, in the event you were attacked while in motion. I use a throttle lock on my bike, so I can use the preferred right hand draw while in motion, if I want. The biggest disadvantage I see with the Sneaky Pete is they only make them for sub full size handguns, less than 5" barrel length. I carry an S&W 9mm compact, with a 15 round mag, so to me, this is not a problem.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!