Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

And so the attack on AR pistols begin

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,396 Senior Member

ATF Issues Cease And Desist For Honey Badger Pistol

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/10/06/honey-badger-pistol-2/

Color me SHOCKED.... SHOCKED  I say (sarcasm off)
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,100 Senior Member
    This thing is clearly in violation because of the extendable stock...which makes it an SBR versus and AR pistol...following the rules isn't that hard but somebody ALWAYS has to push the envelope
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,305 Senior Member
    There are LOTS of adjustable length pistol braces.  You know... people’s forearms are different lengths.  

But what’s interesting is that this got 4 congress critters to send a very critical letter to the DOJ, AG and ATF.   Maybe it will get something done about the ATF changing the rules on a whim
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,800 Senior Member
    Was worried about this when I got my AR pistol with brace. Might just sell it off now and get another AR. Been wanting a 24" HB for a while now.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #5
    Jayhawker said:
    This thing is clearly in violation because of the extendable stock...which makes it an SBR versus and AR pistol...following the rules isn't that hard but somebody ALWAYS has to push the envelope

Those darned gun owners - always "pushing the envelope'' with the second amendment. They need to "follow the rules" as our Founders intended.... Pfft.
    edited October 2020 #6
    If you're going to sell an SBR then market it as an SBR...The gun owners who bought the thing are the ones getting hosed...

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,377 Senior Member
    I was wondering when that hammer was coming down...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

When something "new" shows up on the market...it's not hard to take an educated look at it and predict whether or not it's going to run afoul of the BATFE
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,395 Senior Member
    Can we just start a Congressional Committee for Investigating the Rationality of the NFA?

Not that I'm into compromising rights away, but if they want to draw the regulatory line at full auto, I could at least have a reasonable, rational discussion about that.  The whole 16" / 18" barrels, 26" overall, and stock or no stock thing is utter nonsense.

As best I can tell, the other side is obsessed with regulating firearms that are optimized to be used at ranges from 10 to 50 yards.  As Mr. Spock from Star Trek might say, "Logic is NOT their strong suit Captain"

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • FieldkornFieldkorn Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm surprised these firearms survived scrutiny this long... They begged to have the block of wood knocked off their shoulder.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    Fieldkorn said:
    I'm surprised these firearms survived scrutiny this long... They begged to have the block of wood knocked off their shoulder.
    What makes you say that?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Fieldkorn said:
    What makes you say that?
    It is a rather strange first post.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Fieldkorn said:
    Do you hunt dove? 
    You know, if the ATF does decide that Pistol Braces are SBR, and there are several million in circulation.... that makes a legal argument that SBRs are in “general use” now and should be removed from the NFA

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #15
    You know, if the ATF does decide that Pistol Braces are SBR, and there are several million in circulation.... that makes a legal argument that SBRs are in “general use” now and should be removed from the NFA

Or Biden will do like happened in New Zealand and make them illegal and they would all need to be turned in. I trust democrats with nothing gun or 2a related
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    Hmmmmmm....................Looks like the drawings for a welded steel AR lower and the jigs for machining and welding them them just got more valuable. They're out there still if you know where to look.
    And compliance in a mandatory turn in would be a colossal joke of epic proportions. Most of the states still allow the free selling of firearms between individuals without any paperwork involved. "I sold that a good while back" would be a normal response if the BATFE started checking all the Form 4473s at firearms retailers looking for them, and confiscating records of manufacturers who sold the stocks and pistol uppers. There aren't enough agents in the whole of the federal government, or state and local cops, to toss every home in the U.S. looking for something that has been well hidden. Kind of like that 'mandatory turn in' of the bump fire stocks.  :D 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #17
    Too many people scare easily and would turn their stuff in making the point of non-compliance moot. Look at bump stocks. The folks in this country have lost their backbone.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    Too many people scare easily and would turn their stuff in making the point of non-compliance moot. Look at bump stocks. The folks in this country have lost their backbone.
    If you check the number of bump stocks turned in, you'll find that very few were turned in to 'the authorities'. And a binary trigger is the next best thing to a bump stock if you know how to use one. And bump fire using just the thumb and trigger finger has been going on for decades. Most folk want 'easy' and don't know how or wish to learn how to really use a binary trigger, or just their thumb and trigger finger to bump fire. Amazing what can be done with diamond files and a set screw.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/10/10/wh-investigating-atf-decision-to-increase-regulation-on-certain-pistols/

The Whitehouse is starting to look into ATF over-reach.  Has trump figured out how to get all the gun owners out to the polls?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov