Home Main Category General Firearms

First Reload Grendel

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
edited October 2020 in General Firearms #1
First time using RCBS Electronic scale for rifle cartridge.  Man, what a time saver.  Did 20 6.5 Grendel Hornady 123grn A-MAX bullets.  27grn VARGET    Range test to come.  Next batch Hornady 123grn ELD.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,481 Senior Member
    Hope they shoot well for you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Hoping also.   Have to get grandson(s) to take me to the range.  No more driving for me these days.  Range has chrono members can use so I'm interested in how these will do.  Only had VARGET on hand hoping to find some CFE 223
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    Good deal. Love my Chargemaster. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Good deal. Love my Chargemaster. 
    I'm certainly developing a fond attachment to mine.  
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,808 Senior Member
    CFE223 hasn't worked worth a damn for me in anything I've tried it in. It's fast, but accuracy has been pathetic.
    Ramshot TAC and H4895 are my go to powders for my 2.
    I haven't unboxed my chargemaster yet, but I'm getting closer.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    CFE223 hasn't worked worth a damn for me in anything I've tried it in. It's fast, but accuracy has been pathetic.
    Yup.  H4895 has been amazing, particularly using heavier (65 gr.) pills in my .223 Rem.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    knitepoet said:
    Thanks for heads up.  Now open up that box and enjoy!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,808 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #9
    pjames777 said:
    Thanks for heads up.  Now open up that box and enjoy!
    You're quite welcome.
    On the Chargemaster, I plan on it soon. I have to clean a spot on my bench for it.

Concerning CFE223, there are some folks that swear by it, I swear at it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,960 Senior Member
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I had blown primers in 308 loads that were well within book spec using CFE223. It seems to be temperature sensitive, as the day I shot those loads was hot and the ammo was sitting out in the sun.  That's the only thing I could come up with. I ended up using 3 pounds of that powder to load minimum charges in 223 cases for plinking ammo. I'll never buy it again.

All that to say, be careful with it.  Especially if you're using those loads in hot weather. Keep an eye out for pressure warning signs.

H4895 is an excellent all around rifle powder. I buy it in 8 pound containers. 
    Six-Gun said:
    knitepoet said:
    Yup.  H4895 has been amazing, particularly using heavier (65 gr.) pills in my .223 Rem.
    This. 
    Jay said:
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I had blown primers in 308 loads that were well within book spec using CFE223. It seems to be temperature sensitive, as the day I shot those loads was hot and the ammo was sitting out in the sun.  That's the only thing I could come up with. I ended up using 3 pounds of that powder to load minimum charges in 223 cases for plinking ammo. I'll never buy it again.

All that to say, be careful with it.  Especially if you're using those loads in hot weather. Keep an eye out for pressure warning signs.

H4895 is an excellent all around rifle powder. I buy it in 8 pound containers. 
    My buddy and I made wicked accurate .308 Win loads for his rifle in the fall. Same load shot patterns and blew primers in the summer. 
    Called Hodgdon and they confirmed it was pretty temp sensitive. The guy said he had fall/spring/summer loads with CFE223. 

No thanks.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,943 Senior Member
    Excellent! I like my electronic unit.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,556 Senior Member
    While my Grendel's are bolt rifles, what works for me may not work in a gas gun.  I have found decent results with H4895, Varget, Benchmark, and IMR 3031 with 120, 123, 129, and 142 grain bullets.    Still trying to sort out a 100gr Partition round though.