Home Main Category General Firearms

Regarding rifle canting and bullet strike.

2»

Replies

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 751 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Bigslug said:
    The parallel lines situation is a non-starter other than as a mental exercise.

And I say for benefit of the entire forum:  "Welcome back Bobbert."
    FIFY
    Same articulated writing style and word usage. Also very fond of quoting published works.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,817 Senior Member
    Yep
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,394 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #34

Just for your notes, at 700 yards, the earth curves ~ 1_3/16" (1.181102") but, of course, the pdog terrain will vary more than that. But ya never know, could be useful. 😜
    Funny.....I've shot more than a handfull of 700+ yard pdogs, and never once took the curvature of the Earth into account.

Mike
    http://earthcurvature.com/

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,817 Senior Member
    As the old, often mis-attributed to Einstein, axiom goes, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,302 Senior Member
    Now you know why I posted the popcorn emoji. Even I figured it out this time...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,410 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Just for your notes, at 700 yards, the earth curves ~ 1_3/16" (1.181102") but, of course, the pdog terrain will vary more than that. But ya never know, could be useful. 😜
    Funny.....I've shot more than a handfull of 700+ yard pdogs, and never once took the curvature of the Earth into account.

Mike
    http://earthcurvature.com/

Finally!!!! Science explains my misses.

Spk....I owe ya bigtime, buddy.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 634 Senior Member
    So the curvature of the earth is constant as in theory, there’s no flat spots. 

So does the fact that I shoot East to West as apposed to North to South. Effect the bullet path congruent to the curvature/rotation? 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,302 Senior Member
    Then there's Coriolis force...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    The earth is flat,  so curvature doesn't exist.  Hell, everybody knows that.
    LOL!!! Reminds me of when Buzz Aldrin punched that lunatic flat earth/fake moon landing idiot, Bart Sibrel. Ol' Buzz still has it!  

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    As the old, often mis-attributed to Einstein, axiom goes, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
    That's why I don't exercise.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Gene L said:
    Here's home video of when my dad first told me the earth wasn't flat. 😂
    I didn't take it well.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 676 Senior Member
    So the curvature of the earth is constant as in theory, there’s no flat spots. 

So does the fact that I shoot East to West as apposed to North to South. Effect the bullet path congruent to the curvature/rotation? 
    Depends on what side of the equator your on ,as to if you sight one east to west or west to east.😈
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I find if I hold a rifle upside down and backwards the results are not good, especially for anyone standing behind me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,435 Senior Member
    A few years back I was hunting deer in a creek bed...sitting in some brush against an old fence post...I had a sizeable doe wander in from behind me from my left at about 50 yards out...there was no moving around to get a good shot...but I found that by leaning forward and canting my AR 90 degrees to the right, I had a perfect set-up...The rifle was zeroed dead on at 100 yards...impact was slightly right and a bit high from my POA...the doe ran about 25 yards before piling up....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,153 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #47
    We practice “side prone” (laying the rifle on its left and right side while shooting) out to 200-300 yards. 

A comp I attended once had a 400 yard side prone shot. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    We practice “side prone” (laying the rifle on its left and right side while shooting) out to 200-300 yards. 

A comp I attended once had a 400 yard side prone shot. 
    That sounds like a fun day at the range. 👍

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #49
    There is a drift effect at extreme range caused by rifling but I don't know how much it means in practical terms.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,789 Senior Member
    Spindrift.  About .5 MOA at 1000 yards.  That's for a relatively fast spin.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,316 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    LOL!!! Reminds me of when Buzz Aldrin punched that lunatic flat earth/fake moon landing idiot, Bart Sibrel. Ol' Buzz still has it!  

Met him and had a chance to talk to him a few years back.  No one to mess with 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”