Home Main Category General Firearms

Regarding rifle canting and bullet strike.

2»

Replies

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 850 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Bigslug said:
    The parallel lines situation is a non-starter other than as a mental exercise.

And I say for benefit of the entire forum:  "Welcome back Bobbert."
    FIFY
    Same articulated writing style and word usage. Also very fond of quoting published works.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,969 Senior Member
    Yep
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,420 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #34

Just for your notes, at 700 yards, the earth curves ~ 1_3/16" (1.181102") but, of course, the pdog terrain will vary more than that. But ya never know, could be useful. 😜
    Funny.....I've shot more than a handfull of 700+ yard pdogs, and never once took the curvature of the Earth into account.

Mike
    http://earthcurvature.com/

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,969 Senior Member
    As the old, often mis-attributed to Einstein, axiom goes, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,459 Senior Member
    Now you know why I posted the popcorn emoji. Even I figured it out this time...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,461 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Just for your notes, at 700 yards, the earth curves ~ 1_3/16" (1.181102") but, of course, the pdog terrain will vary more than that. But ya never know, could be useful. 😜
    Funny.....I've shot more than a handfull of 700+ yard pdogs, and never once took the curvature of the Earth into account.

Mike
    http://earthcurvature.com/

Finally!!!! Science explains my misses.

Spk....I owe ya bigtime, buddy.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 638 Senior Member
    So the curvature of the earth is constant as in theory, there’s no flat spots. 

So does the fact that I shoot East to West as apposed to North to South. Effect the bullet path congruent to the curvature/rotation? 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,459 Senior Member
    Then there's Coriolis force...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    The earth is flat,  so curvature doesn't exist.  Hell, everybody knows that.
    LOL!!! Reminds me of when Buzz Aldrin punched that lunatic flat earth/fake moon landing idiot, Bart Sibrel. Ol' Buzz still has it!  

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    As the old, often mis-attributed to Einstein, axiom goes, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
    That's why I don't exercise.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Gene L said:
    Here's home video of when my dad first told me the earth wasn't flat. 😂
    I didn't take it well.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 676 Senior Member
    So the curvature of the earth is constant as in theory, there’s no flat spots. 

So does the fact that I shoot East to West as apposed to North to South. Effect the bullet path congruent to the curvature/rotation? 
    Depends on what side of the equator your on ,as to if you sight one east to west or west to east.😈
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I find if I hold a rifle upside down and backwards the results are not good, especially for anyone standing behind me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,513 Senior Member
    A few years back I was hunting deer in a creek bed...sitting in some brush against an old fence post...I had a sizeable doe wander in from behind me from my left at about 50 yards out...there was no moving around to get a good shot...but I found that by leaning forward and canting my AR 90 degrees to the right, I had a perfect set-up...The rifle was zeroed dead on at 100 yards...impact was slightly right and a bit high from my POA...the doe ran about 25 yards before piling up....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,396 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #47
    We practice “side prone” (laying the rifle on its left and right side while shooting) out to 200-300 yards. 

A comp I attended once had a 400 yard side prone shot. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    We practice “side prone” (laying the rifle on its left and right side while shooting) out to 200-300 yards. 

A comp I attended once had a 400 yard side prone shot. 
    That sounds like a fun day at the range. 👍

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,215 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #49
    There is a drift effect at extreme range caused by rifling but I don't know how much it means in practical terms.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,789 Senior Member
    Spindrift.  About .5 MOA at 1000 yards.  That's for a relatively fast spin.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    LOL!!! Reminds me of when Buzz Aldrin punched that lunatic flat earth/fake moon landing idiot, Bart Sibrel. Ol' Buzz still has it!  

Met him and had a chance to talk to him a few years back.  No one to mess with 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”