Home Main Category General Firearms

Question for Re-Loaders

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 11,498 Senior Member
I made three dummy rounds while adjusting the seating die.  First set too deep, second made small adjustments and got it set, third, just to make one right the first time.
Anyways, after I pull the bullets, do I need to resize the brass?   My Google-Fu is usually pretty good, but each time I looked, one said yes, the next no, and another said sometimes.
What do you guys say?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,415 Senior Member
    I would. Your neck tension is going to be different if you don't. Start from a known baseline. #1 rule of handloading.....change only 1 thing at a time.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,498 Senior Member
    I would. Your neck tension is going to be different if you don't. Start from a known baseline. #1 rule of handloading.....change only 1 thing at a time.

Mike
    Thanks
    I was thinking, especially for the one that seated too deep
    None have primers so its easy
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,155 Senior Member

Mike
    What he said. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,170 Senior Member
    If they were your .357's the inertia bullet puller generally will not entirely pull out the crimp applied making seating a new bullet quite difficult. In other words, resize and re bell the case mouth.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,934 Senior Member
    Yes, what they said
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    sakodude said:
    If they were your .357's the inertia bullet puller generally will not entirely pull out the crimp applied making seating a new bullet quite difficult. In other words, resize and re bell the case mouth.
    Didn't know that. It is filed away for future reference.  With these I didnt crimp, just set the bullet to proper depth.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,934 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #8
    Excuse my ignorance but if you don't crimp revolver rounds couldn't recoil cause the bullet to shift in the case and cause problems?

Will you crimp when you develop live rounds?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Yes I will crimp live rounds.  These had no primer or powder 
    I was just adjusting the seating die.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #10
    Yes,  resize so you are starting from 0

also, fwiw, you may want to consider keeping those loaded dummies.  Take a sharpie and mark the LOA on the case.  then when you need to adjust the seating stem - and you will, you can use that as a "get close" stop gage.  

its not like you wont have to make minor adjustments after that, but it will get you close.

have fun
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    I had made a few 125gr rounds that went together easily, from a handful of bullets and a bit of powder a co worker gave me.
    I finally received the bullets and powder i ordered
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Asked and answered, so a tangential but related item:

If you are not using a separate die for crimping, you'll need a new "dummy" when testing the proper die position for the taper crimp desired (RCBS, namely).  The bullet is pressed to it's final depth in the case while crimping occurs.

The same-but-25-extra-dollar solution is purchase a separate taper crimp die OR buy a used bullet seating die and gut it of all the internals.  I like this option because I like taper crimping after the bullet has been seated.  It un-complicates crimping 44mag and 44spl using the same bullet seating die, for example.

I double-prefer the separate taper crimp die for EVERY cartridge.  My 44spl and 44mag have separate crimping dies with the lock nuts set-screwed in place and labeled with a paint pen.

There's enough going on...anything which uncomplicates the setup is a plus.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers