Home Main Category General Firearms

Browning See the Light of Day After 30 Years

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
Older brother showed up today with a project for me.  Said he hadn't opened the case in thirty years.  Gift from his FIL fifty years ago.  Was his FIL gun until my brother married his daughter and brother said it might have been his FIL's dad's before that.

Little specs on the barrel but no deep rust anywhere.  Brother said its mine now and knows I'll bring her back to life...not much to do but it deserves attention.

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,163 Senior Member
    Lovely. not too many of those seen over here now.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    Oooooh..........Colour me envious..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Nice!!!!!  One of my favorite guns in the world.  Much envy!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,203 Senior Member
    Sweet! It looks like a magnum, and there's room for an extra barrel in the case!! :)
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,224 Senior Member
    A nice, very nice shotgun.  I had one about the same era, as accurate as any gun I've owned, but I couldn't take the recoil.  Had a medical condition that made me susceptible, made my arm and shoulder blue down about to my elbow.  Beautiful guns!  Now the recoil wouldn't hurt so much.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,461 Senior Member
    Love that case too!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,416 Senior Member
    That really is kinda nice. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,583 Senior Member
    I know very little about shotguns, but that one looks like a Beauty
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Travel Twelve on the receiver.  S/N78*** but can't find the age.  Rust on receiver starting to grow but oil and 0000 steel wool will be my starter.  She's a fine looking gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,514 Senior Member
    Nothing not to love about an A5...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I’ve gotten in the habit of using Oxpho instead of oil with 0000 steel wool to take off surface rust.  A quick gentle rubdown works great since Oxpho will actually dissolve the rust and blue any light spots.  Anyone that decides to try please don’t work it to hard it long because the Oxpho will start taking the original blue off and replacing it which whatever Oxpho is (not a rust blue).

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,967 Senior Member
    Ok that is one nice shotgun! I little TLC and she'll shine almost as much as YOU SUCK!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,283 Senior Member
    If that is the first time you have seen it, your brother has been holding out on you, that is very cool in my book.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Nice! That should clean up good!
    I have my Uncle's (Mothers brothers) Sweet 16 in the safe. It was used a LOT and shows it. Lots of memories quail hunting with my Uncle in NE Jawja. And some duck hunting, too.
    Make that lady shine like new money!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Serial number indicates 1929 year of manufacture.  

pjames777 said:

And I thought my 1940s Auto 5 was an oldie!!!   :D

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,283 Senior Member
    pjames777 said:

Dang, an almost 100 year old A5, who would have thought such a thing would exist.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Receiver cleaning up well.  Some pitting at rear but coming along  nicely.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,954 Senior Member
    What a beautiful gun!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,462 Senior Member
    I lusted after a Belgium cypress knee A5 just like that since I was old enough to think about shotguns. At 16 years old, I got my first consumer loan (yes, 16 YO's could get a loan from a finance company back then, even after telling them you were going to buy a gun with their money...LOL!!!) and that's exactly what I bought.

About half a year later, it was stolen and sold in a bar parking lot in Jackson, Ms. (along with several other nice firearms) for $20. Not just that gun.....the whole lot....for $20 bucks.

I paid monthly notes on that Browning for a year longer than I owned it. By the time I started looking again, they were made in Japan, the cypress knee was no longer available, and prices on used Belgiums were out of sight.

Happy for you. That is one helluva gift.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited November 2020 #22
    Coincidentally, I was talking today to a gun collector about shotguns and he brought up the A 5.  Said the bottom has fallen out on them for modern tastes, which I inferred means price-wise, they aren't what they used to be because they're an old design (very old) and their market is in collectibles rather than shooters. And a lot cheaper, although with not the provenance of a Browning. While I love them, I can see there are a lot of shotguns that will likely do the job better as shooters.  There will always be a collector's market but according to him, that's losing interest.  
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Now that is a beauty! Nice heirloom. 
    Gene, I'm not interested in market value.  Preserving it and keeping it functional are my goals.  Brother says his son and grandchildren are not interested (at this time) so I'm cleaning off the minor rust and lubing it up then I'll offer it back as a keepsake from GGP, GP to Son.  Maybe they'll change their mind.  In any case, it will be ready to shoot or hang on a wall but not linger in a box "rotting"

New shotguns perform much better for sure, however I'm certain this got its fair share of inland birds!
    edited November 2020 #25
    Better better being a rather subjective term.  By all accounts a newer model will be a better gun because of availability of parts, service, configuration options etc.  BUT I doubt many of these “better” guns will be around in 100 years.  That Browning will be...

Market for collectibles is in the tank anyway.  Everyone is in a panic buying Glocks and ARs at insane prices and flooding the market with guns like this Browning to finance plastic.

This too shall pass...  hell in a couple of years this might be the only type of gun you can own legally...

edited November 2020 #26
    Pjames, I didn't mean to discount your efforts or your purpose.  Certainly the gun is worth a lot to you because of its origin, and it's worth a lot to any savvy collector.  What I thought was interesting in the conversation I had is the status of a classic, and in general how it reflects on other long guns.  When I was growing up, every boy wanted an A5 Sweet Sixteen.  Nowadays, very few boys want one, if any. Kinda sad, in a way.  Shooters now want plastic and choke tubes.

We collect guns for what they are rather than for what they're worth to others.
    Frankly, I had little idea as to its "value" just want to preserve it.  I've necessitated four 90+ year old rifles now.  Its fulfilling to bring one back to life.  Worst was a converted 1911 Winchester gallery gun.  Totally rusted inside, 22LR jambed into the 22 short carrier!  Functions well now. Quite accurate as well.  Now if I could just find someone to "rebuild" me!  LOL
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 59 Member
    Congrats on a beautiful heirloom! 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,924 Senior Member