Home Main Category General Firearms

Range trip...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 24,453 Senior Member
Pix for gun nut and anyone else who wants to chime in...
First up, 100 rds through the Ruger Mark III - the lower quadrant was sort of my "warm up", then I was shooting in the black mostly, with a few "excursions" up high. 25 ft range.

Then 50 rds through my Remington R51. There are a couple or three of my 9mm pistols that I tend to shoot low, and this is one of them. Dunno why... 25 ft range also:

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,213 Senior Member
    A good day at the range is better than a good day at work.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,574 Senior Member
    Good times
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,197 Senior Member
    I like the grips on the Ruger. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Fun day I’m sure.  When you shoot low I can almost guarantee that your closing down your strong hand around the grip when you press the trigger which makes the muzzle dip.  

It’s caused by our primitive grasp reflex and it’s a sympathetic movement of all fingers in your hand when you move the trigger finger.  Extensive dry fire exercises and holding your gun as high as you can with your support hand would fix that.  But Since I’m not seeing you shoot first hand I’m only going with the most likely cause.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,890 Senior Member
    Mmmmm that smell! Love Range days! Nice work. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Sitting in my living room I heard some gun shots.  My wife thought it was from one place I said it was another. A neighbor has the habit of stepping out back and shooting some. No real complaints from me but the wife isn't so happy.  This time I decided to step outside and make some noise of my own so I fetched some ammo and a gun. As I walked back into the living room my wife mentions something about stepping outside and making some noise so I offered her the revolver and ammo I had in my hand.  She just laughed and stepped out back and shot a few rounds into a flower bed. Earned herself some hoots from the neighbor.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,213 Senior Member
    You can gently file the front sight down and raise the impact...shoot a couple of strings, file the sight a little, repeat.  Easier fix than if it's shooting high.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,923 Senior Member
    One other possibility is the gun does not like you ammo.

Send us a drawing of what you think your sight picture is.

Maybe your POA has to be higher on the TGT----if you hold at 6 o'clock  hold at center bull, then shift to the top of the bull if necessary-----last resort put a spotter above the bull and aim at that.

Try dry firing without the gun in your hand, maybe with a block of wood in your hand the size of the guns grip. You can then see what all your fingers do when you simulate pulling the trigger without being keyed on a sight picture..
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,280 Senior Member
    If you are shooting low, try shooting double taps on one of those targets that displays human anatomy, you might be good to go. That R51 is a "stop what you are doing gus" not a target pistol.   
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    Nice shooting; have you thought about installing a red dot sight in your MkIII? 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,453 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Fun day I’m sure.  When you shoot low I can almost guarantee that your closing down your strong hand around the grip when you press the trigger which makes the muzzle dip.  

It’s caused by our primitive grasp reflex and it’s a sympathetic movement of all fingers in your hand when you move the trigger finger.  Extensive dry fire exercises and holding your gun as high as you can with your support hand would fix that.  But Since I’m not seeing you shoot first hand I’m only going with the most likely cause.
    Thanx for that - I'll "mess with it" and try to self analyze. Its worse on some guns than others.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:

Thanx for that - I'll "mess with it" and try to self analyze. Its worse on some guns than others.
    👍👍
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”