Home Main Category General Firearms

Boyt Hard Travel Case H20 - You get what you pay for?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,875 Senior Member
I'm a bit annoyed because earlier this month when I was packing for my training trip I realized that my Pelicans are bit BIG for a single pistol and ammo which is all I was bringing on this trip.  BUT my only hard case for pistols was just a LITTLE smaller that what I'm comfortable with as far as checking in as luggage.  Probably would have been fine, but I'm not taking chances so off to the local store(s) I go and no one had a good sized Pelican for me to buy so I ended up buying the hardiest Boyt I could find.

At $119 this was not "cheap" but it does come with lifetime warrantee right?

Ok first round trip on Delta and this happens...

I've never had any issue like this with Pelican.  Anyway I emailed the info and pictures to the folks at Boyt and we'll see if they take care of this.  I don't think this is a critical failure by any means but Lord, ONE TRIP!!!  Doesn't instill confidence...
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,367 Senior Member
    Price is a bit steep for something to break on the very first trip.  I suspect they will blame it on the baggage handlers and tell you to take it up with the airline. Being Delta, you may get something, but I doubt you will get a new case.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,875 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Price is a bit steep for something to break on the very first trip.  I suspect they will blame it on the baggage handlers and tell you to take it up with the airline. Being Delta, you may get something, but I doubt you will get a new case.
    I agree with you and if that's the case I'm screwed.  Airlines insure the contents of your bag if they lose it but they will not take responsibility to damage of the actual bag or contents.  Don't ask me how I learned that particular tidbit...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,905 Senior Member
    Never underestimate the brutality of a baggage handler. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    I never do, specially after I watched one of them actually kick a suitcase that had fallen off one of the loading conveyors right under the tires of the jet about to pull away from the gate...

Zee said:
    @Zee do you have any experience with Boyt stuff?  This is my first.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,394 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I have worked in an Airport.  This is 100% true.

ESPECIALLY if they think something breakable is in the luggage
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    No. Other than a soft rifle case back in the 90s. 

I use Pelican. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,165 Senior Member
    Two thoughts:
    1) Remember the Samonsonite gorilla?
    2) "United Breaks Guitars" - and nobody else is any better...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Mine travels in a small portable safe inside my suitcase.  The baggage handlers know what's in those small Pelican cases, mine goes stealth mode.  TSA knows it is there, but the baggage handlers don't.

Mine travels in a small portable safe inside my suitcase.  The baggage handlers know what's in those small Pelican cases, mine goes stealth mode.  TSA knows it is there, but the baggage handlers don't.

Neat idea but ever since I saw a video of how easy it is to open a suitcase zipper and close it again without someone noticing I've been paranoid of putting small expensive stuff inside one.  I rather pack around the large hard cases.

This one is overkill for only one handgun but I can pack it up with clothes and such too and actually use it as my check-in luggage easily enough.

Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    No. Other than a soft rifle case back in the 90s. 

I use Pelican. 
    That was my plan, and it might be my plan again.  I might try to get Sportsman's Warehouse to refund me my money and have THEM deal with Boyt.

Zee said:
    I have worked in an Airport.  This is 100% true.

ESPECIALLY if they think something breakable is in the luggage
    That has been my experience as a traveler too.  I would NEVER use soft luggage ever again...

zorba said:
    Two thoughts:
    1) Remember the Samonsonite gorilla?
    2) "United Breaks Guitars" - and nobody else is any better...
    yep...

edited October 2020 #15
    I’ve broken pieces parts off pelican cases. But, it takes years.........of abuse.......and they still worked afterwards. 
    Zee said:
    I’ve broken pieces parts off pelican cases. But, it takes years.........of abuse.......and they still worked afterwards. 
    Yeah but you can break hammers...

So color me shocked!  At least they are RESPONSIVE!!!

Just got an email from the CS Manager they are shipping me a BRAND NEW case and a label so I can ship back the defective one.  Damn!

Good deal. 
    And on Pelican Cases, the only part I’ve broken were the wheels.
    Zee said:
    Good deal. 
    Zee said:
    And on Pelican Cases, the only part I’ve broken were the wheels.

I am impressed.  Not really sure of the design still.  Those little wings look like an invitation to breaking off.  I don't believe my Pelicans have them.  Aren't the wheels replaceable on the Pelican?

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,433 Senior Member
    I wonder how the Harbor Freight Apache cases compare to a real Pelican 
    Yes, and remember.......I don’t fault the Boyt case. Expendable parts designed to absorb shock are not a bad thing. 

Remember that. A piece breaking off the case is better than a piece breaking off the gun. 
    Zee said:
    Yes, and remember.......I don’t fault the Boyt case. Expendable parts designed to absorb shock are not a bad thing. 

Remember that. A piece breaking off the case is better than a piece breaking off the gun. 
    True point...  it is a nice case by any measure.  I was just surprised it didn’t take long for a break somewhere, then again an injection flaw can happen too.  

Meh, seems like they are handling it right so what the heck.  I’m impressed.

RugerFan said:
    I wonder how the Harbor Freight Apache cases compare to a real Pelican 
    Can’t say I’ve bumped into those yet.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,367 Senior Member
    Hard to complain with that kind of customer service.
    We have one of those harbor freight boxes.  But, it never gets abused, the wife keeps her camera and lenses in it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Neat idea but ever since I saw a video of how easy it is to open a suitcase zipper and close it again without someone noticing I've been paranoid of putting small expensive stuff inside one.  I rather pack around the large hard cases.

This one is overkill for only one handgun but I can pack it up with clothes and such too and actually use it as my check-in luggage easily enough.

If you have a baggage handler looking to steal a firearm, the small Pelican type cases are a big billboard that says to them "Gun inside".  I fly in and out of Orlando International all the time, with one or two Pelican cases that have tools and test instruments inside.  Even though one of the Pelican cases is not large, I always have to claim it at the oversize baggage area and show my ID.  When I asked why, the airline representative told me that they assume there is a firearm inside.  I had to chuckle because when they told me that I had already claimed my suitcase off the belt and that is where my firearm was, not in the Pelican cases.  Yes, my suitcase is hard sided and has a TSA lock.  By Federal law, the travel safe has a non-TSA lock.  Under normal times I fly on a weekly basis and have not yet had an issue.
    Good to hear!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,165 Senior Member
    Speaking of baggage handlers...
    Back in Y2K, I took a business trip, with a pleasure stop on the way home. I took a carryon with $1,000+ worth of camera gear. That was fine, until I had to fly on a little plane that couldn't accommodate the carryon, so they told me they'd stow it in the hold, and it would be available at the door when I deplaned. WRONG! It wasn't there, so I asked where it was. "Oh, you can pick it up at the baggage carousel." I friggin' WENT OFF! "YOU PUT MY CAMERA GEAR INTO THE BAGGAGE STREAM?!!!! WHY THE *HELL* DO YOU THINK I WAS HAND CARRYING IT?!?!?"
    Fortunately, nothing bad happened. However, two things came of that. 1) I won't hand carry anything that won't fit under the seat in front of me - which means I can get off the plane while the unloaders unload (which since become a pet peeve as I used to do a LOT of flying), and 2)For a HUGE variety of reasons, I haven't flown that airline (United) since - this SNAFU was the least of the problems I had on that trip, I could have written a novel. It was a 6 leg trip in toto, and every single leg was screwed up in one manner or another. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Nevermind what happened with my checked bag when I got home!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I'm a bit annoyed because earlier this month when I was packing for my training trip I realized that my Pelicans are bit BIG for a single pistol and ammo which is all I was bringing on this trip.  BUT my only hard case for pistols was just a LITTLE smaller that what I'm comfortable with as far as checking in as luggage.  Probably would have been fine, but I'm not taking chances so off to the local store(s) I go and no one had a good sized Pelican for me to buy so I ended up buying the hardiest Boyt I could find.

I've never had any issue like this with Pelican.  Anyway I emailed the info and pictures to the folks at Boyt and we'll see if they take care of this.  I don't think this is a critical failure by any means but Lord, ONE TRIP!!!  Doesn't instill confidence...
    In fairness it's hard to know if your Pelican case was ever struck in the same manner as that case was to cause the damage.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD said:
    GunNut said:

In fairness it's hard to know if your Pelican case was ever struck in the same manner as that case was to cause the damage.
    Just checked on one of my Pelicans this morning and they don’t have those thin hard wings.  Hey, it’s a lifetime warranty so as long as they keep giving me new ones if they break I’m good.