Home Main Category General Firearms

Finally got a heavy bullet to group well in my .338 Federal

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 13,204 Senior Member
edited October 2020 in General Firearms #1
I owe thanks to Zee and Jermanator for putting in the time on Jerms .338 Federal, I definitely got somewhere today, I used Zees loading data and Jerm me sent a bunch of samples of bullets he had tried in his. Had to shoot at 50 yards since a couple guys were back and forth on the 200-100 yd range where I shoot and the backstop is the same for both, besides, for some reason my 30-06 Benelli R1 was seriously off the paper at 100 for some strange reason, my oldest did bounce the scope off his head on the bench a few weeks ago and that may have helped, but it was shooting fine last fall, so 50 yds it was.

Kimber Classic with 225 gr Barnes X over 41gr of H335. NOTHING I have tried, and I have tried A LOT, has grouped like this, not factory loads, not handloads, I have probably 300 rounds into this. I had noticed it did like the 185 gr Barnes Bullets on the Federal Premium Factory loads I had tried, but who wants to shoot 185gr .338 bullets?

And, as an added bonus, I zeroed my AR pattern .308 with some 150 gr Federal Fusions and shot the most perfect bullseye.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,819 Senior Member
    Nicely done
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    That’s a sweet group out of the Kimber!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,204 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Nicely done
    GunNut said:
    That’s a sweet group out of the Kimber!
    Thanks, it was like a 10 year project....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,490 Senior Member
    Well done
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,153 Senior Member
    Wow!! You have a winner!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Looks good, Scott.  I get my best results with my 338x284 using 225 grain Grand Slams.  However, I'm happy with anything around 1 MOA, which appears you have beat significantly.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Diver43 said:
    Well done
    Thanks, a work in progress.
    Zee said:
    Wow!! You have a winner!!
    Looks good, Scott.  I get my best results with my 338x284 using 225 grain Grand Slams.  However, I'm happy with anything around 1 MOA, which appears you have beat significantly.
    I was pretty stunned to see the first 2 holes touching, I put a lot of effort into getting that third shot hoping I did not just flinch correctly the first 2 shots, had to get my head on, I have one more reload of that left that I saved because I wanted to double check the loaded dimensions of the case and bullet or I would have gone for the 4 shot group, hopefully I can reproduce the load and get it on at 100 like that.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,169 Senior Member
    Glad you finally found the recipe. I had such a strong hankering for a 338 Fed for a long time. All the problems you and Jerm had with yours made me stay away.
    BTW, I've got a bag of unfired factory Federal brass if you need it.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,410 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #11
    NICE!!!!!

OTOH, you could have launched a 150 grain A-Frame from a .270 Win and been done 10 years ago.

Just saying......

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    sakodude said:
    Glad you finally found the recipe. I had such a strong hankering for a 338 Fed for a long time. All the problems you and Jerm had with yours made me stay away.
    That would be great! I do not want to unenable you out of a .338 Federal though ;) You have a need for some 5.45x39 ammo? I just found some in my stash.
    NICE!!!!!

OTOH, you could have launched a 150 grain A-Frame from a .270 Win and been done 10 years ago.

Just saying......

Mike
    My .270's are a snap to sight in and reload for, got a VX3i 3X9X40 coming for my Remington 700 too :p
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,153 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    This. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,169 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    sakodude said:
    That would be great! I do not want to unenable you out of a .338 Federal though ;) You have a need for some 5.45x39 ammo? I just found some in my stash.
    PM me an address.