Home Main Category Hunting

New gadget for the coming season

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 292 Member
Bought myself a suppressor for my rifle. Stalon XE108 made out of stainless steel, titanium and aluminum.

Now I'll get rid of muzzle flash and recoil jump while shooting in dark conditions. It's always hard to see where the deer jumps when you shoot it in the last rays of light due to flash and recoil jump.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    Never had the pleasure. Maybe better recheck your zero.

Nothing wrong with quiet.......
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    Never had the pleasure. Maybe better recheck your zero.

Nothing wrong with quiet.......
    Yeah, I will re-adjust it in the coming days.

I tried a few shots with it in our yard and the noice went down so much that my wife said it sounded inside our house like big dog sneezing as I shot on the other side of the house's wall. Bullet of course kept the usual screaming as it is ultrasonic noice after all.

But I would say that total amount of noice was on par with .22lr.  Recoil went down too. Like shooting with .22 pistol.

And one of the most important extra is the muzzle flash. This will hide it when I shoot deer in the darkness. Better to see where it jumps after the hit as the recoil jump and orange flame will be gone from now on.
    -William Blake-
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,298 Senior Member
    Very nice.  I have been hunting with a suppressor for the last couple of seasons.  I still wear electronic hearing protection (keeps the ears warm, and amplifies hearing).  But it is nice to be hearing safe while hunting.

Are there any extra hoops you have to jump through for a suppressor in your country? 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member
    That is a really nice looking unit!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Very nice.  I have been hunting with a suppressor for the last couple of seasons.  I still wear electronic hearing protection (keeps the ears warm, and amplifies hearing).  But it is nice to be hearing safe while hunting.

Are there any extra hoops you have to jump through for a suppressor in your country? 
    I have used electronic mufflers too and plan to continue using my MSA Supremes after the suppressor.

In Finland suppressors requires an license in order to buy one. But luckily our parliament has seen the light while making this law as the firearm license that we have to have to each gun we buy and own and this license gives you the right to buy suppressors to your guns. No extra taxes or anything. Just take your firearm license with you and buy one after proving the right to own a gun.
    -William Blake-
    GunNut said:
    Thanks!

I think that now my rig is complete for the years to come. It's a pretty good setup for the type of hunting I do. Required a bit of saving to get all these "components" with my monetary situation but I managed anyhow.

Mauser m18 in 30-06, topped with Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 with illuminated red dot on Mauser/Sauer QD mounts and now this Stalon XE18 makes it complete.

I'm very satisfied for this poor man's working rig.
    -William Blake-
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Great set up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    edited July 2020 #9
    Looks good.

In my experience with supersonic rounds (Ultrasonic is "of or involving sound waves with a frequency above the upper limit of human hearing" ) seem louder at distance, since the sonic crack has more time to develop
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Thanks!

I think that now my rig is complete for the years to come. It's a pretty good setup for the type of hunting I do. Required a bit of saving to get all these "components" with my monetary situation but I managed anyhow.

Mauser m18 in 30-06, topped with Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 with illuminated red dot on Mauser/Sauer QD mounts and now this Stalon XE18 makes it complete.

Mauser and Zeiss is not a “poor man’s working rig” for us on this side of the Atlantic!  😁

Regardless that is a very nice hunting setup!  I wish our politicians were smart enough to see the light on suppressors.  Not happening within my lifetime...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    We've been hollywooded :s
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,936 Senior Member
    Thread drift, my mom made pulla, Finn biscuit as we call it locally:
     Big gob of butter and a cup of coffee and you are good to go
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I can see from the distance that one incredient is missing to be a real pulla.
     Cardamom.  😅
    -William Blake-
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Thanks!

Mauser and Zeiss is not a “poor man’s working rig” for us on this side of the Atlantic!  😁

Regardless that is a very nice hunting setup!  I wish our politicians were smart enough to see the light on suppressors.  Not happening within my lifetime...
    Took me many seasons to gather this setup together. 
    If I wasn’t a piss poor special needs school assistant I would be shooting a some nice Sako or Sauer 404 or Blaser R8 topped with Victory series Zeiss of Schmidt & Bender. 😅

Seriously speaking my rig really is on the budget side here when I see the gear that most of the hunters use these days. Perhaps middle class at the most.
    It’s incredible how much people invest in to their hunting gear. It won’t make deer or moose more dead. 
    -William Blake-
    A link to short video. Subsonic ammo with this suppressor on our yard

https://youtu.be/9-Yz4DO5BUQ
    -William Blake-
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I can see from the distance that one incredient is missing to be a real pulla.
     Cardamom.  😅
    It is in there, it s propper pulla
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Cardamon?  Had to look that up, sounds like something to try when I get the chance.

Like has been said, you have one fine hunting rig
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Cardamon?  Had to look that up, sounds like something to try when I get the chance.

Don't forget the butter, lots of butter, and coffee.
  • JocelynJocelyn Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, that's really looking great. It will reduce recoil and help decrease muzzle flinch. These benefits lead to improved accuracy, better shot placement, and more humane hunts..All the best.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,513 Senior Member
    I’ve been using suppressors for awhile now and they will spoil the crap out of you!  I almost don’t want to hunt without one these days. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    I’ve been using suppressors for awhile now and they will spoil the crap out of you!  I almost don’t want to hunt without one these days. 
    I agree!
    Now after a couple of months of hunting and nine kills with suppressed rifle I’m not going back to ”free breathing” rifle.
    I should have bought one a long time ago.
    -William Blake-
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,089 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

Like has been said, you have one fine hunting rig
    Be ready...it's a bit pricey....I use it in my Cranberry/Apple Chutney
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"