Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Why is the veto on arms sales to Saudi Arabia (then used in Yemen) OK?

I'm fairly anti-war, to the point where I can't vote for Biden because of his vote for the Iraq War.

Rather than vote Libertarian, I'm wondering what justification there could be for Trump's veto on the bill that would have restricted arms sales to Saudi Arabia, in light of those arms being used in Yemen; I feel most of Trump's other actions have made him an anti-war president, but have a hard time voting for him due to the damage done in Yemen.

Thanks in advance for any sincere responses.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,100 Senior Member
    So...did you come to a gun board to talk politics or what?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • iateadonutiateadonut Posts: 11 New Member
    edited October 2020 #3
    Yes, I've come to listen.  I enjoy the perspective of many of the contributors to this forum, particularly geopolitics.  In particular, for example, I remember someone detailing that Raj Tunara would be a prime target for an attack on Saudi Arabia just weeks before an attack occurred near there.  (I don't think I'm off-topic in talking about a veto of arms-sales legislation, if that's what you're saying.)
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,375 Senior Member
    I'm fairly anti-war, to the point where I can't vote for Biden because of his vote for the Iraq War.

Rather than vote Libertarian, I'm wondering what justification there could be for Trump's veto on the bill that would have restricted arms sales to Saudi Arabia, in light of those arms being used in Yemen; I feel most of Trump's other actions have made him an anti-war president, but have a hard time voting for him due to the damage done in Yemen.

Thanks in advance for any sincere responses.
    Because at a time when Trump is working HARD to achieve a total recognition and normalization of relations with Israel throughout the Arab World it would be most illogical to go piss off the arguably most powerful player in the region.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,935 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #5
    Why worry about what's happening in Yemen when you can see first hand how the dims are destroying OUR country!!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Well.....It's a week from election day here, but I guess I'll wake up tomorrow wondering what weapons Raytheon legally sold to a country I know little about  did to another country I don't care about.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    I'm wondering what justification there could be for Trump's veto on the bill that would have restricted arms sales to Saudi Arabia, in light of those arms being used in Yemen;
    Because at a time when Trump is working HARD to achieve a total recognition and normalization of relations with Israel throughout the Arab World it would be most illogical to go piss off the arguably most powerful player in the region.

That's right.  You reckon a Trump administration can broker a deal where Saudi Arabia recognizes Israel?  What would it mean to stability in the region if they do?
    GunNut said:
    I'm wondering what justification there could be for Trump's veto on the bill that would have restricted arms sales to Saudi Arabia, in light of those arms being used in Yemen;

That's right.  You reckon a Trump administration can broker a deal where Saudi Arabia recognizes Israel?  What would it mean to stability in the region if they do?
    Means the 800 lb gorilla says it’ll happen so it will.  Also means Palestinians have no course of action except negotiations of a peace deal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Alpha? Is that you?
    Alpha? Is that you?
    Can’t be.  No pie charts telling me I’m a bigot...

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Alpha? Is that you?

LOL!!!! True. Good point! LOL!!!
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Alpha? Is that you?

Which I always found funny as the only Puerto Rican on the board.  

In order to be a bigot you have to be selective in your hatred.  I hate everyone equally!!!

I admire your defense of equality that you not only support with your words, but you also keep deep in your heart.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,454 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #14
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Alpha? Is that you?

In order to be a bigot you have to be selective in your hatred.  I hate everyone equally!!!
    Hey, GunNut, the proper phrase in the South is "I hate everyone with equal enthusiasm", and you have to pronounce the word 'enthusiasm' with the proper Southern inflection. Otherwise we knows y'all ain't from 'round cheer! :D   
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Alpha? Is that you?

Hey, GunNut, the proper phrase in the South is "I hate everyone with equal enthusiasm", and you have to pronounce the word 'enthusiasm' with the proper Southern inflection. Otherwise we knows y'all ain't from 'round cheer! :D   
    BUT, I'm NOT from around here.  I was born over 1,500 miles SOUTH of "here".  

I AM a TRUE Southerner!!!  

And my Great-grandpappy DID own a plantation!   B)