Home Main Category Hunting

‘Rona deer hunt

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,904 Senior Member
edited October 2020 in Hunting #1
My deer hunt starts tomorrow morning. It’s a muzzleloader buck hunt in the desert mountains near where I live. Muzzleloader was my third choice, and that’s what I drew, making a tough hunt a bit tougher. 

Last weekend, my hunting buddy and I went out scouting. We were first searching for a new spot to set up camp. We’ve found areas we want to spend more time in, so we wanted to camp closer to those areas than years past. And I bought a small 5th wheel trailer a few months ago, so we found a spot I can get my trailer into. 

Aside from a unseasonal snow storm here last week, it’s been much drier than normal. Knowing where the water tanks are out there could be the key. We’ve got that down. 

Yesterday, I got word from my buddy that he has the Rona... interesting news, since we were out cruising around in my Jeep together a few days earlier. That ended up with me being sent home from work for contact precaution, and my buddy out of the hunt. My test results are still pending, but I have no symptoms. As long as symptoms don’t start, I’ll be going out by myself, leaving my house early in the morning and returning home in the evenings. It will take a few spots out, being by myself. I won’t go too far into the rough mountains alone, with no cell service. For one, an injury out there by myself could turn into a problem. Second, if I shot a deer up on one of those rough mountains, it’d be fun getting it out of there and quickly enough in 75-80 degree weather. So, I’ll stick to the lower ground and water tanks. 

Its gonna be fun....

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,301 Senior Member
    Good luck with both the hunt, and the "Kung Flu" test
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,067 Senior Member
    Prayers sent and fingers crossed, Jay.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,074 Senior Member
    Hope you find yourself a nice deer and do not get that bug.
    We had the same thing, direct contact and home for 14 days but tested negative and back to work monday.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,354 Senior Member
    Good luck to you!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Best of luck and wishing you a very safe hunt.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,904 Senior Member
    Thanks for the good wishes, boys. They Jeep is mostly packed. Few things to throw in early in the morning and I’m gonna make like a fetus and head out... 

Still no test results, and still no symptoms. Pretty sure I’m good. My buddy is struggling a bit. It’s hitting him pretty hard now. But he’s working on it. He’ll kick its butt...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    You know this means you are going to shoot a booner and have to haul it out yourself now.......can't wait to see the picture. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I’m tired, ready to have dinner and call it a night.. so I’ll just hit the highlights and a few scenery pics. No deer today. 

Headed out about 545, got to my first hunting spot almost an hour later, just before sunup. No water in the tank, but sign there. Set up on the side of a hill overlooking what would be the tank, of it had water in it. I was just about to head out and hit the next spot, when a coyote trotted up to about 35 yards from me. Upwind and looking away from me. I didn’t want to waste my muzzleloader shot on it, so I moved it to my left hand and drew my Glock 17C. That’ll make your ears ring with no hearing protection... one handed shot, attempting to hit the back of the head.. I missed. But I cracked up laughing when it jumped 3 feet straight up at the shot. 🤣 It had no idea I was there or that it was going to get shot at... so much for that spot. 

Next spot I had scouted before. There was water there and I had a spot picked out. Just as I got to my spot on the side of a hill to look around, a truck pulls right up to the water and two “hunters” get out and start walking around the tank. ‘Cause that’s how you hunt, apparently... didn’t know I was doing it wrong... again, so much for that spot. 

The rest of the day, a lot of driving and a LOT of walking and hiking. 106 dirt road miles on the Jeep and a lot of miles on my legs in between.   Next post, some scenery pics of some of the areas I’m hunting. 

Final note, a lot of traffic out there. Public land, virus, people going out cruising and riding ATVs... difficult to hunt. 
    Good looking country!  Is that a bobcat skull?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,074 Senior Member
    I used to love riding those dirt roads as far as we could in the truck. Then take the dirt bikes to see where they ended.
    I was amazed at the amount of life is in the desert. Hope you get one next time out.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee said:
    Good looking country!  Is that a bobcat skull?
    I believe it’s a mountain lion skull. Should have put something else with it for size reference. The teeth look much bigger than bobcat to me.. I know there are mountain lions in the area. 
    edited November 2020 #16
    Of course, I could be wrong, too.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit, on second thought and after comparing, I’m fairly sure it’s mountain lion. 
    If it’s bigger than your fist, it’s probably lion. 👍🏻
    That’s what I figured. Definitely lion then. I wear a 9 1/2 boot. It was about 2/3 the length of my boot. 
    Update on my hunt..

Unfortunately, I had some things come up and wasn’t able to go out the last two days of the hunt. So this year is over and no deer. I enjoyed the time I did get to spend out there. It was a good chance to get away from everything and recharge, so to speak. 

I never got results back on my Rona test, so I had to go do another one at work. No results back on that one yet. Still no symptoms, so I’m either asymptotic or didn’t get it, I guess. I just have to have a test so I can go back to work. 

Anyhow, here’s a few more scenery pics..
    Lots of javelina sign in this area.

This is part of a large tank that, when full of water, has a LOT of deer traffic. It’s bone dry this year. The pattern I’ve seen in years past is the deer tend to come out of the mountains at daybreak to the tanks, then go back up in the mountains for the day and come back at sundown. The rain and snow we got a few days before wasn’t enough to put water in the tanks. But I theorize it was enough to create a bazillion little water pockets in the rocks up in the mountains, so the deer just stayed up there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry you didn’t get one. Cool looking area, though. 
    The area is really cool. Huge lava flow areas, volcanic craters and steep mountains..
    for reference, in the right-center of this pic from the west edge of the lava flows is Cox peak, probably around 10 miles away. The elevation at that peak is 5936 ft and is 1541ft above the desert. If one was to climb that peak, I believe it’s over 2 miles from where you can get a vehicle to the base. From there, it’s almost a mile to the top, going up over 1100 feet in elevation in a mile... 

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,067 Senior Member
    There used to be a chunk of BLM land between Marfa and Presidio (Tx) that looks a lot like that.  Remarkably, it held a lot of deer.  I don't think that the land is BLM any longer.  I don't know what happened.

Any way, glad you had a good time.  It always amazes me how country that seems so barren and ugly can grow on you.  Thanks for sharing.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    There used to be a chunk of BLM land between Marfa and Presidio (Tx) that looks a lot like that.  Remarkably, it held a lot of deer.  I don't think that the land is BLM any longer.  I don't know what happened.

Any way, glad you had a good time.  It always amazes me how country that seems so barren and ugly can grow on you.  Thanks for sharing.
    Tommy Lee Jones has a ranch somewhere out in that area you mentioned. I’m not sure exactly where. I’ve done a little running around out there. Ft Davis, Alpine, Presidio, Terlingua, Lajitas.. etc. And, of course, Pandale. I’m a desert rat... I love the pine trees up in the mountains. But the desert is where I was born and raised. I’d miss it if I ever left. 
    My uncle worked on a ranch near presidio when I was young. I used to go down there during the summer and hang out. It wasn’t long after, some big problems came up involving the ranch and the Sheriff out there, who was friends with Ranger Joaquin Jackson at the time.. My uncle left and so ended my roaming around out there as a kid.