Home Main Category Hunting

Moose hunt on 7th of Nov

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 292 Member
edited November 2020 in Hunting #1
This day's moose hunt was a nice dat outdoors. Morning opened up into beautiful sunny morning as I drove to our hunting area.
Today I didn't get anything but some deer pizza and grilled sausage from the open fire we made on a brake between the drives.
One of the dogs took a long route with a moose and needed a bit of TLC and rest while we grilled and had some coffee while talking nonsense as usual.
One of our younger generation hunter had a great day today. In the morning he shot a moose calf, first moose ever in his life and later in the day he shot a nice 12 pointer bull.
My father shot a small calf too and we had our youngest puller on the leash. I think that he is five years old and wanted to be a part while we pulled the calf out of the woods.
One of our older members had his "dog driving" rifle with him today. A Sako Finnwolf. Pretty rare gadget.
In our cooling room there was a nice deer buck of of the guys shot yesterday evening. I had pretty hefty neck.
I have blurred some faces as I don't know if they wish to show their faces in internet. Nice day and tomorrow we won't be going hunting as we will celebrate Father's Day here in Finland.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,001 Senior Member
    Nice! you must have enough meat in the freezer to feed an army by now..
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,132 Senior Member
    Another awesome day hunting for you and your club.  Thank You for sharing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    sakodude said:
    We still have five more moose to kill this season (one bull, two cows and two calves) and about 50 deer. I guess everyone will get the amount meat they feel necessary to feed their families.
    -William Blake-
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,001 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    We still have five more moose to kill this season (one bull, two cows and two calves) and about 50 deer. I guess everyone will get the amount meat they feel necessary to feed their families.
    Didn't mean that in a bad way, Jealous of all that fresh game meat to be truthful and envious of the hunting opportunities you have. 
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    sakodude said:
    sakodude said:
    Didn't mean that in a bad way, Jealous of all that fresh game meat to be truthful and envious of the hunting opportunities you have. 
    Didn't take it in a bad way.

I hunt so much that when the deer season ends on 15th of Feb it's kinda nice to take some breath out from it. For example I don't eat grilled sausage at all during the summer months :smile:

I really enjoy hunting but it can be somewhat exhausting at some point. Waking up every weekend at 6 a.m. and drive to moose hunt as it is team work to get all our licences used as it is important to keep the population in control to keep the forestry damage and traffic accidents as low as possible.
    It's kinda like quiet gentleman's agreement to take part of it to get it done. Then if we get something during the weekend we will go on thursday evening's to process and cut those moose after our work days.
    When my kid was a small child it would have been impossible to commit this deep into this hobby as it needs in Finnish way of game management. I'm sure my wife would have shown the door to me for being absent practically every weekend from September 'til the end of January.

It's fun and I enjoy it very much but it takes it's toll too to hunt this much.
    One of the biggest loses is the fact that you don't make any "lifetime memories" with your kills and hunts anymore. Your nice deer and moose hunts/kills turn just into numbers in line. If you know what I mean?
    I remember the overwhelming joy of my first kills when I got some nice deer. Now those day's are long gone and my interest has turned into more technical aspects of the kill. How I managed to hit it and how the bullet performed ballistically. The kill is just meat in the freezer, not a life long memory.

Be careful what you wish for..  ;)
    -William Blake-
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    NIce. Jealous and you Suck!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,804 Senior Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,925 Senior Member
    tell that young man congratulations, savor the moment 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,503 Senior Member
    Beautiful rifle!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith