Copper plated, in a .410 :#
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,760 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #4
    Slug!!

It’s the Hand Of God!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,953 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.

Provided you mean defend within the house and not carry on outside of the house and you live in an average American home with average sized rooms or smaller sized home; it does not matter what shotgun load you use.

Average sized home 2400 sq ft
    Average sized rooms 507 sq ft
    Data from Bing look up
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,436 Senior Member
    Welcome hey. Inside the house, either one with an aimed shot, I have slugs.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    slugs
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Under the right conditions, both are effective. But, a slug has more right conditions and fewer detractions. 

I’ve seen the results of both. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,485 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Under the right conditions, both are effective. But, a slug has more right conditions and fewer detractions. 

I’ve seen the results of both. 
    Can't disagree with that. I'm a bit partial to multiple bleeding holes, but within "in-house" distances...probably does't matter much. Can't say I recall hearing about a thug surviving a well placed dose of either...at in-house distances.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • buckaroobuckaroo Posts: 67 Member
    Buckshot, it's the only reason I bought a shotgun for home defense.   I get 12-15 chances with every pull of the trigger and it only takes one in the right place.  I'm not a good shot and I never will be.  At 30ft. I get an average of 6-10 inch spread and I don't practice beyond it.    I roll my own using steel slingshot ammo between 1½ -0 buck around .31 cal. , hits like a sledgehammer with recoil no worst than a micro 9mm handgun.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 796 Senior Member
    Welcome!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,738 Senior Member
    Pretty good point about buckshot. I hadn't considered it in exactly those terms. I've seen home rolled shells that gave excellent results.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    Welcome.  Sounds effective
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,753 Senior Member
    Federal low recoil Flight Control 00 in the gun with an extra in the front hole of the side saddle.  Inside of seven yards, it's basically a pre-fragmented slug.  At ten yards, it's a really wide slug.  At fifteen yards,a tea saucer will have nine holes in it.  At 25, you'll start to have strays off an 8.5x11" sheet of paper.  I love the stuff!

Federal low recoil 1oz slugs in the back five holes the side saddle.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,494 Senior Member
    Welcome buckaroo.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,197 Senior Member
    Actually mine's loaded with 27 pellet #4 buck loads
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Same here, actually.
    Interesting home size statistics. 2,400 Sq feet? That's a big house in my world!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,088 Senior Member
    edited August 11 #18
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:
    Same here, actually.
    Interesting home size statistics. 2,400 Sq feet? That's a big house in my world!
    Same here, My house is 920 Sq Ft with the last wo being less than 950. I like 000 buck in a 20 gauge.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,477 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:
    Same here, actually.
    Do houses in your area have basements?  In CT, houses seemed larger because everyone had a basement (which doesn’t count towards square feet) as compared to houses in N Texas which do not.

I love my new house (2x size of our CT home) but would love to have a basement man cave.  

I use #4 buck. 

edited August 11 #20
    I currently have 3 loaded with slugs and 2 loaded with 00 Buck. 
    Mine's a single shot and I really like how compact it is because I can fold it in half and carry in the car easily.
    I'm saving my money now and next year I'm gonna get me a 590 shockwave after I renew my CCW permit and I'll be able to carry it loaded in the car.

edited August 12 #22
    ahh.... carry it in your car?  Your gona get out and pull it on a BG with  Glock? ahhh..
    Freezer said:
     Your gona get out and pull it on a BG with  Glock?

What's a Glock ?
    edited August 13 #24
    The weapon of choice for most hood rats! BG = Bad Guy

Glock - Wikipedia
    No hoods where I live, wolves and bear.   And not the wolves you see on television, ours can grow to 6 feet tall and weight 200 lbs. plus.   And if they get on your trail will stalk you for days.   
    edited August 13 #26
    buckaroo said:
    No hoods where I live, wolves and bear.   And not the wolves you see on television, ours can grow to 6 feet tall and weight 200 lbs. plus.   And if they get on your trail will stalk you for days.   

6 feet long? possibly, 6 feet tall.. umm no
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited August 13 #27
    Op was home defense. I thought you were talking about a shotgun in a car!

No! 6 feet long and 3 feet tall. I had a lot of bear and cougar where I hunted and hiked, I carried a S&W 44 mag Mountain gun. Much easier to carry fast to draw. My knife was on the shoulder strap of my back pack where I grab it if needed.

BTW Glock makes a 10mm, the 43 IIRC. Its a rather nice woods gun and enough for bear defense.

Grandpappy use to tell us never doubt a persons word unless they give you good cause.

edited August 13 #29
    And never try to prove a point to a hobby photographer with a picture.
     Forced perspective shots are child's play to set up. AND, hanging up like that, if legit, is showing it's showing its LENGTH, not how "tall" it is

edited to add: If you noticed, I admitted they can get 6' + LONG
    On most quadrupeds, "Height" is measured at the shoulder

Freezer said:

BTW Glock makes a 10mm. Its a rather nice woods gun and enough for bear defense.

Native Americans warn Lewis&Clark over 200 years ago when they left South Dakota after the winter and continued on westward that there was an animal that feared nothing or none. 
    They didn't have a name for it back then but as we latter learn it was the mighty Grizz.

The only thing the mighty Grizz fears are these Wolves.

If a Grizz gets on your scent you'll wish that 10mm was a .454 Casull coming out of a carbine.
    You'll never even get the chance with these Wolves because you will never hear or see them.

The 10mm may work with your hoods but this ain't folklore coming out of Alaska.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,738 Senior Member
    How does on beware of the unseen and unheard?