Home Main Category General Firearms

I have succumbed

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 367 Member
Not many know but I am not an over all fan of the black rifles . This is not due to looks or function it is more the operation of the buffer spring making tons of racket. Well a few weeks back a buddy of mine, called me up and said that x company was having a sale on 80% lowers time to buy. SO I did a very nice billet lower with the entire trigger assembly ( in parts) sent with. Price after tax and shipping 90. SO I said you. We ll i got. Now I'm looking at uppers and all the do dads for the gun. It is going to be a nice working , learning thing for me. I have figured that it will be a 16 inch barrel, and more mil spec stock. It will be colored to my liking, cause well it will be a range gun and if i get crazy maybe a 3 gun rig. 
Yes I need to post pictures, no I don't have any, yes it will be done in time. No i don't have the time as of yet. 
But I will keep ya informed and Ill be putting a build sheet together for it.  Caus eI have a feeling I will be adjusting stuff down the road. The good thing is I don't usually go high end or low end but mid high on equipment and like to have it around for some time.

Kevin
If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    You can get a 'no BOINGGGGG' recoil spring replacement. They aren't exactly cheap, but they're quiet.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,310 Senior Member
    Welcome to the dark side.
    Looking forward to seeing your complete build
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    I always thought it was more of a "SPROINGGG"

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,032 Senior Member
    Mine sounds like a "Schhhiinnngggg"
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,867 Senior Member
    It always sounded like "NO" to me. I hated that sound when I was in the military and never got used to it. That said I bought an 80% lower and have a good trigger for it. Some when I have the money for the corect upper system I'll enter the dark side. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Put some lithium grease on my and it doesn't make crappy noises.  
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 788 Senior Member
    We all succumb at some times in our lives!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,707 Senior Member
    We all succumb at some times in our lives!
    ALMOST inevitable... 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #10
    That "Boing" "Sproing" Whatever noise doesn't bother me in the least. Of course I can't hear thunder even with hearing aids.

I put it off for many years, not because I didn't like 'em but because I'm a bolt gun fanatic and I had several I wanted to build. There's still a couple I want but I had the money in hand and I saw an AR I really wanted. Mine's just a plain jane 5.56 x 45=.223 Rem. with a .22" Stainless 1:8 twist barrel. Other wise it's nothing too special but it's reasonably accurate and it fits me pretty well. Now that I have it I'm very happy I bought it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    Looking forward to the finished product.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 26 New Member
    KMT2 said:
    Not many know but I am not an over all fan of the black rifles . This is not due to looks or function it is more the operation of the buffer spring making tons of racket. Well a few weeks back a buddy of mine, called me up and said that x company was having a sale on 80% lowers time to buy. SO I did a very nice billet lower with the entire trigger assembly ( in parts) sent with. Price after tax and shipping 90. SO I said you. We ll i got. Now I'm looking at uppers and all the do dads for the gun. It is going to be a nice working , learning thing for me. I have figured that it will be a 16 inch barrel, and more mil spec stock. It will be colored to my liking, cause well it will be a range gun and if i get crazy maybe a 3 gun rig. 
    Yes I need to post pictures, no I don't have any, yes it will be done in time. No i don't have the time as of yet. 
    But I will keep ya informed and Ill be putting a build sheet together for it.  Caus eI have a feeling I will be adjusting stuff down the road. The good thing is I don't usually go high end or low end but mid high on equipment and like to have it around for some time.

Kevin
    Did you buy a jig to do the machine work on the 80% lower?
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 367 Member
    My buddy has the jig. a very good and expensive one. He being an engineer , spends his money on a bit of the better side of stuff. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
    There are buffers out there now that are pretty quiet.  
    BamaakII said:
    There are buffers out there now that are pretty quiet.  
    thanks
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,518 Senior Member
    edited December 2020 #16
    One reason I do not like shooting ARs is due to the dang spring.  It irritates me that much.  Couldnt tell you the last time I shot mine.  I should really just rehome it at some point.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    One reason I do not like shooting ARs is due to the dang spring.  It irritates me that much.  Couldnt tell you the last time I shot mine.  I should really just rehome it at some point.
    I only notice it personally on the A2 stocks. None of my carbine stocks seem to make it. Or perhaps I just got used to it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,843 Senior Member
    The spring noise turned me off on them too. When I FAM fired a M-16 in 68 on the way in country all I heard was the spring sprong and did not realize it shot.

Of course wearing rabbit ears and on a firing line with a bunch of other shooters.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 261 Member
    I bought one of these in Nov 2018 for my HBAR and didn't install it until May of this year. I can't tell you what it sounds like because I still haven't shot the rifle with it.   :(    One of these days......one of these days!
    Rafterman said:
    I bought one of these in Nov 2018 for my HBAR and didn't install it until May of this year. I can't tell you what it sounds like because I still haven't shot the rifle with it.   :(    One of these days......one of these days!
    Thanks Ill look into it. Im still getting all the parts. Just ordered the upper the other day. Now the barrel and parts with the hand guard.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,989 Senior Member
    It doesn't bother me at all, the spring noise.  I don't even hear it, or learned to accept it; don't know which.  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 488 Member
    I'll have to listen to mine the next time I shoot them now I got to drag them all out and test fire them all oh the misery
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,856 Senior Member
    JP enterprises enhanced buffer spring.  20 bucks.  Supposed to be smoother and less spring-y. Ordered one myself,  I'll report back when the gun is built (1 more part to buy - hand guard)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    white lithium grease

I did notice it on my A1 way back, but I dont even hear it now.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,202 Senior Member
    white lithium grease

I did notice it on my A1 way back, but I dont even hear it now.

^This^
    Try oiling or greasing your spring. Don't glob it on like lard but a nice thin even application will reduce that Sproing-ing sound. I don't hear mine anymore. Then again maybe I'm deaf 🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    If the noise your buffer spring makes really distracts you...you ain't shooting enough...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Well I'm near ready for milling and assembly. Need a few small parts like the forward assist and a few springs and roll pins just incase they go flying when assembling.
    Still debating on hydro painting the receivers and or high polish then a coat of poly. Anyone done any painting (other than ceracoat) for the receivers? What should I use?

If allowed to cure for the time needed Brownells’ Alumahyde provides a really durable finish.  

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Mamma said I must paint the metal. So I am looking at a stainless and gun grey look
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Maybe I’m in the minority but the spring sound doesn’t bother me at all.  At muzzle report, it’s a non-factor.  That said, if it bothers you, definitely make the investment in one of those silenced spring setups.  Worth it if you plan to shoot a lot and find the noise grating.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited April 6 #31
    For what it’s worth the Dead Foot Arms setup I have on the new 9mm AR pistol with the folding stock has no buffer spring sounds at all!  This setup is absolutely pricey but damn if it not incredibly well designed and made and being able to shoot with the stock folded absolutely rocks!  I will soon be ordering the same setup for my SBR.