Home Main Category Hunting

The Little Man’s longest shot and second Axis!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,349 Senior Member
edited November 2020 in Hunting #1
It was fast and I didn’t have time for pics and such. 
We were in a stand, trying to get a shot at an Axis cull buck. As soon as we got to the stand, I saw him cross a sendero without presenting a shot. About an hour later he crossed another sendero without a shot. Damn!!  Then, for a third time, he crossed a sendero without stopping for a shot at about 200 yards!!
i said, “Screw it!  We are gonna drive around to the other side of the flats. He’ll come out into them right before dark.”
So we did.......and so did he. At about 200 yards, he came out of the brush. But again, he wouldn’t stop and stand still. Kept walking around checking his does. FINALLY, after he had walked further away over time.....he stood broadside and my boy asked, “Is that a good shot?”
I ranged him at 315 yards, broadside!
Reached over and dialed 5 MOA into his scope. 
“YES!”
The gun fired and he lurched. Stiff legged, he ran for the brush. We found him just on the edge of the brush in failing light as the sun had set and the twilight faded. 

His longest shot on game and his furthest with the 6.5 Creedmoor. 
Yeah. I’m a happy camper. 

Another skull for the wall and hide for the floor. The boy is having a Hell of a year!!

And his success with the 6.5 Creedmoor is what has prompted me to cut the barrel down on my .260 Rem Rifle. Apparently, the slower velocity doesn’t negate its lethality. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    Your Son is beginning to make this deer hunting thing look easy.  You have taught him well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    I can be adopted!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,094 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    It was fast and I didn’t have time for pics and such. 
    We were in a stand, trying to get a shot at an Axis cull buck. As soon as we got to the stand, I saw him cross a sendero without presenting a shot. About an hour later he crossed another sendero without a shot. Damn!!  Then, for a third time, he crossed a sendero without stopping for a shot at about 200 yards!!
    i said, “Screw it!  We are gonna drive around to the other side of the flats. He’ll come out into them right before dark.”
    So we did.......and so did he. At about 200 yards, he came out of the brush. But again, he wouldn’t stop and stand still. Kept walking around checking his does. FINALLY, after he had walked further away over time.....he stood broadside and my boy asked, “Is that a good shot?”
    I ranged him at 315 yards, broadside!
    Reached over and dialed 5 MOA into his scope. 
    “YES!”
    The gun fired and he lurched. Stiff legged, he ran for the brush. We found him just on the edge of the brush in failing light as the sun had set and the twilight faded. 

    His longest shot on game and his furthest with the 6.5 Creedmoor. 
    Yeah. I’m a happy camper. 

    Another skull for the wall and hide for the floor. The boy is having a Hell of a year!!

    And his success with the 6.5 Creedmoor is what has prompted me to cut the barrel down on my .260 Rem Rifle. Apparently, the slower velocity doesn’t negate its lethality. 
    Apparently not!  Congrats on another successful hunt and record shot.  I’m sure that distance won’t stand as longest for long 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,300 Senior Member
    Congrats to you both
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,025 Senior Member
    Nicely done....great shot!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,977 Senior Member
    Your boy has talent! Congrats to both of you. 
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 393 Member
    Nice shot,, heart-shot again ?  >:)
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,837 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #9
    Nice shot,, heart-shot again ?  >:)
    Yeah, how did that bullet do out past 300, any autopsy pics? That shot is a good confidence builder, tell him nicely done.

    Time to start teaching him Jedi toe trigger technique while he is still young and flexible :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,094 Senior Member
    You know how you get someone (specially a kid) to do something amazing?  Don't tell them they can't  B)
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Your Son is beginning to make this deer hunting thing look easy.  You have taught him well.
    He does not know the hard work and anguish his father put in to get my first deer. Started at 10 and didn’t get my first until 14. He has greatly surpassed me for his age. Hell!  I didn’t shoot 400 yards until I was 22 years old!!  He’s shot to 800 at 12 years old!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    pjames777 said:
    I can be adopted!
    Terms can be arraigned. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    It was fast and I didn’t have time for pics and such. 
    We were in a stand, trying to get a shot at an Axis cull buck. As soon as we got to the stand, I saw him cross a sendero without presenting a shot. About an hour later he crossed another sendero without a shot. Damn!!  Then, for a third time, he crossed a sendero without stopping for a shot at about 200 yards!!
    i said, “Screw it!  We are gonna drive around to the other side of the flats. He’ll come out into them right before dark.”
    So we did.......and so did he. At about 200 yards, he came out of the brush. But again, he wouldn’t stop and stand still. Kept walking around checking his does. FINALLY, after he had walked further away over time.....he stood broadside and my boy asked, “Is that a good shot?”
    I ranged him at 315 yards, broadside!
    Reached over and dialed 5 MOA into his scope. 
    “YES!”
    The gun fired and he lurched. Stiff legged, he ran for the brush. We found him just on the edge of the brush in failing light as the sun had set and the twilight faded. 

    His longest shot on game and his furthest with the 6.5 Creedmoor. 
    Yeah. I’m a happy camper. 

    Another skull for the wall and hide for the floor. The boy is having a Hell of a year!!

    And his success with the 6.5 Creedmoor is what has prompted me to cut the barrel down on my .260 Rem Rifle. Apparently, the slower velocity doesn’t negate its lethality. 
    Apparently not!  Congrats on another successful hunt and record shot.  I’m sure that distance won’t stand as longest for long 😁
    It’ll stand for a bit. No need to push the issue. Targets.......yes. Game.......we’ll ease into further. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Congrats to you both
    Thank you, SIr. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Nicely done....great shot!
    Thanks. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    Your boy has talent! Congrats to both of you. 
    He has more talent than me!  It just needs refinement. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    Nice shot,, heart-shot again ?  >:)
    I would assume so. It was in the right place for it. 
    Sadly, I admit to being lazy this time as it had been a LONG day at work and darkness overtook us. 
    I took him to the house and processed him in front of my barn without even gutting him (Ernie taught me that technique.). 
    I was tired. It was late. I pushed the easy button. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Nice shot,, heart-shot again ?  >:)
    Yeah, how did that bullet do out past 300, any autopsy pics? That shot is a good confidence builder, tell him nicely done.

    Time to start teaching him Jedi toe trigger technique while he is still young and flexible :)
    See above. I deserve flogging as I wasn’t thorough on this one. A perfect example. But, I failed. 
    The bullet did break the on side shoulder/leg and exit the off side though.  

    The good news, I plan to take a deer at 400-600 yards or greater this season with another 6.5 Creedmoor I have and 147gr ELD-M for data. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,349 Senior Member
    A well fed Axis is quite a bit larger than a whitetail. This sucker was quite solid. I’ve now ordered a hoist for my new house so I can weigh game at home as well. 

    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,566 Senior Member
    That will be some great eating.
    Emily loves eating Axis or elk - That is her two favorite wild game.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,199 Senior Member
    Most excellent!

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 322 Member
    Great job by both of you- kid is a killer for sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement