Home Main Category General Firearms

AR-10 build

N454casullN454casull MemberPosts: 640 Senior Member
I picked up an AR-10 lower last week. I have built a few AR-15 but never even looked into the 10’s so I have a couple questions. 

I have been led to believe that as far as internals any brand will work with any brand. 

But that lower and uppers are kind of a proprietary thing. Such as a Stag arms lower won’t work with a PSA upper. Is this correct? 

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,465 Senior Member
    Yes and, not necessarily. Some lower/uppers are proprietary and some are standard. I believe my lower is a CMMG and my upper is an AR Stoner. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,789 Senior Member
    I picked up an AR-10 lower last week. I have built a few AR-15 but never even looked into the 10’s so I have a couple questions. 

I have been led to believe that as far as internals any brand will work with any brand. 

But that lower and uppers are kind of a proprietary thing. Such as a Stag arms lower won’t work with a PSA upper. Is this correct? 
    If you picked up an AR10, then it's an Armalite. You need to tell us if it's an A or B model. The uppers will not interchange between A and B and with other AR 308s out there. Same issue with magazines. Armalite discontinued the B model a few years back, just FYI. 
    :facepalm:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,862 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #5
    Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends." Who made your lower? That will answer what pattern it is.

To the best of my knowledge, most "large frame" IE AR-10/LR308 style lowers, use the DPMS LR-308 pattern, and this whatever small components are meant for that.

A true Armalite AR-10 lower will obviously use the small parts meant for those, in whatever iteration it is.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,292 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    He is being more polite this time.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I found the vendors to be quite helpful when I built mine, they knew what would work together and what would not. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited November 2020 #8
    Zee said:
    I can understand why you slapped yourself in the face; you just realized that the OP was totally incomplete and somewhat in the neighborhood of the oft-mentioned-but never-seen "dumb question."  It was close to "I bought a Kodak but I hear that some lenses don't work for all cameras."

Since the ONLY brand name in the OP was "AR-10" and we all know that everyone keeps thinking all big ARs are AR-10s, just like most people use Kleenex instead of tissue, Frigidaire instead of refrigerator, Jacuzzi instead of hot tub, Xerox instead of copier, we can only guess at what he truly has.
    edited November 2020 #9
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    He is being more polite this time.
    Apparently not. The ass is back. 
    edited November 2020 #10
    Pegasus said:
    Zee said:
    I can understand why you slapped yourself in the face; you just realized that the OP was totally incomplete and somewhat in the neighborhood of the oft-mentioned-but never-seen "dumb question."  It was close to "I bought a Kodak but I hear that some lenses don't work for all cameras."

Since the ONLY brand name in the OP was "AR-10" and we all know that everyone keeps thinking all big ARs are AR-10s, just like most people use Kleenex instead of tissue, Frigidaire instead of refrigerator, Jacuzzi instead of hot tub, Xerox instead of copier, we can only guess at what he truly has.
    See Shotgunshooter3's post, short, concise, polite.
    :rimshot:
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 640 Senior Member
    It’s a Stag Arms. I went to their website and after a closer look it does have “compatibility notes” it says it will work with most DPMS components. 

It does state that it has “proprietary take down and pivot pins” so I’m not sure how that effects matching it up with other brand uppers. 

Again this is the first of these I have done, it’s a learning experience. And as I have said before I consider myself to have a fairly decent gun knowledge but by no means do I know it all. So to those that are willing to humor me and give honest and helpful answers, thanks. 
    It’s a Stag Arms. I went to their website and after a closer look it does have “compatibility notes” it says it will work with most DPMS components. 

It does state that it has “proprietary take down and pivot pins” so I’m not sure how that effects matching it up with other brand uppers. 

Again this is the first of these I have done, it’s a learning experience. And as I have said before I consider myself to have a fairly decent gun knowledge but by no means do I know it all. So to those that are willing to humor me and give honest and helpful answers, thanks. 
    See, if you had started with that, Zee would not have had to slap himself in the face and contort his logic like a pretzel.

I like Stag, a lot.  I have a couple of their Stag 15 lowers and they are just fine.  Their Stag 10 are a DPMS pattern, as you mentioned, and there is this at their site:

"One of the key differences in the Stag 10 over other DPMS patterns is our choice of an Armalite style slant cut receiver.

The slant cut ensures superior fit over the DMPS platform and minimizes the amount of battle rattle coming from the rifle. The Stag 10 lower receiver will accept any mil-spec trigger guard, fire control group, stock and receiver extension tube."

So you can use pretty much any AR-15 type internals and stock.  I would be more cautious if you decide on a stock other than the standard mil-spec.  For instance, I have a Magpul PRS stock on one AR-15 type and also on my AR-10, but they are not the exact same Magpul PRS model.

The magazines will be easy, you can get Magpul PMags.

The Stag-10 uppers are a bit of an hybrid and they state this, which I'm sure you have already seen:

"Our upper receiver has the same barrel nut threads as DPMS, accepts DPMS barrels, accepts Stag, Armalite and DPMS BCGS and Charging Handles. Once matched with our custom Stag Lower, Takedown Pin, Pivot Pin and Takedown Pin Detent, this assembly can be built using standard DPMS components."

I find it amazing that they can take both patterns bolt carrier groups.  They did a good job, but that's what you would expect from Stag Arms.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #17
    No actual knowledge or input on the subject. Would just like to say, what a douche!
    I would like to say that I would be unhappy if Pegasus left the forum, he obviously has some excellent insight into long range shooting and optics and I usually read what he posts, but, being knowledgeable and having the ability to share that knowledge without causing consternation does not seem to be a stretch. And, he is weird that he does not like to shoot AK's, what is up with that?  
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I would like to say that I would be unhappy if Pegasus left the forum, he obviously has some excellent insight into long range shooting and optics and I usually read what he posts, but, being knowledgeable and having the ability to share that knowledge without causing consternation does not seem to be a stretch. And, he is weird that he does not like to shoot AK's, what is up with that?  
    You are absolutely correct, I do not like to shoot (or be shot at by) AKs.
    I also wanted to mention that I have taken out my AR-10 in .308 Win to shoot at some 600 yard matches in the new NRA discipline "mid-range tactical," or some such.  It's for AR-type rifles with somewhat different rules than F-Class.  Barrel is limited to 20 inch and my Armalite AR-10B (T) has a floated 20 inch barrel.  Overall weight is limited to 15 pounds including scope and bipod.  The maximum magnification on the scope is 15X and you must load from a magazine, one round at a time, no sleds allowed, (an idiotic NRA rule.)  The target is the regular MR. not the F-Class equivalent.

It's a far cry from my F-TR bolt match rifle, I'll tell you that.  I use store-bought ammo or load an equivalent mag-length 175gr HPBT bullet, again another far cry from my F-TR match ammo.

I find the recoil of the AR-10 to be obnoxious from prone.  After a string of 20 rounds for score, I'm happy to get up.  Again a far cry from my F-TR gun which has a more potent recoil.  I can't use my beloved Joy Pod for the AR, no sled type bipods allowed.  I'm still working on this AR and it's getting better.  I have a March 1.5-15X42 scope on it with the same reticle as the March-X 10-60X56 on my F-TR gun, the MTR-5.  I have a Magpul PRS stock on it and I might just develop a load specifically for this rifle for 600 yards.

It really boils down to familiarity and usage.  I have over 25,000 match rounds through my F-TR rifle and it fits me like a glove in prone.  I can detect the slightest issue shooting it.  The AR-10 in comparison, is like a big 2X6 piece of wood, but it's definitely getting better and I did select the proper fittings for it; it's just a matter of shooting it and getting to know it.  There is one more thing I want to add to it and that's a through-the-fingerguard bolt release like on my F-TR AR-15.  I've been shooting senior for many years now and I'm approaching grand-senior status and I'm just not as flexible as I used to be, especially with arthritis settling in.