Home Main Category General Firearms

Bought my first AR today

ridgleyartridgleyart Posts: 17 New Member
I actually wanted a Springfield Saint Victor, but grew impatient waiting for someone to get them in stock. The LGS posted these Andersons on Facebook last night, they seem to have a decent reputation and they come with a lifetime warranty so I thought why not. The price was $700 for the rifle, soft case, and 50 rounds of ammo. Just ordered scope, bipod adapter, bipod and extra mags.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Looks good
    What optic do you plan on?  5.56/223?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #3
    Not a bad deal. Hell, the ammo is worth $100 right now. Good luck trying to get more!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,788 Senior Member
    I have one or two Anderson Lowers, they are good. 
    You did well.  
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,788 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #5
    A part of me wants to say you paid too much considering the parts you need to replace to make it better.........but under the political climate and circumstances.........you probably did well. 
    Now, go boating. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    my brother Has an Anderson rifle, and as much as people like to call them “poverty ponies”, I can’t find a thing wrong with it.  It works and is surprisingly accurate.  

Just wish I could convince him to get a better scope. 

Congrats on the new gun.  What do you plan to do with it?  What optic will you run?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,214 Senior Member
    Congrats and enjoy
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    I tell everyone the same thing. Buy the cheapest platform and spend your money on a good barrel and optics. The rest is milspec. 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Congratulations on getting a fun toy!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member

Just wish I could convince him to get a better scope. 

Congrats on the new gun.  What do you plan to do with it?  What optic will you run?
    @[email protected]
    Do what I did with my friend who insisted his Barska was good enough for a nice rifle I set up for him that was capable of cloverleaf groups.

Take him out shooting on a really overcast day or towards dusk and when it starts getting nice and dark let him shoot your gun with the good scope.  My friend left the range and we went to a gun store where he bought a $1,400 Leupold Mark IV that same day.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ridgleyartridgleyart Posts: 17 New Member
    I'll mainly use it for punching paper and occasional predator control.  I ordered a Leupold VX3i 3.5 - 10 for it yesterday.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    I'll mainly use it for punching paper and occasional predator control.  I ordered a Leupold VX3i 3.5 - 10 for it yesterday.
    That should serve you well
    Being an AR there are countless changes/improvements you can make.
    Once you get you glass and find the ammo it likes best, I bet you find one of the Magpul pistol grips much more comfortable than the hard plastic 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    Good hustle! I’m thinking it will be a shooter!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,625 Senior Member
    I have a couple of Anderson lowers...the only issue I have had with them was a trigger that would not reset...(apparently they had a run with some faulty triggers at some point) wasn't a huge deal though since I always swap out stock triggers with RRA National Match triggers
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #15

That's a damn good scope. I have four of them on various rifles. However, on my only AR I have a 13 year old Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 that's surprisingly clear and not bad in low light that cost me $150 less than any of those 4 Leupolds. I had it on a Remington 700 SPS .30-06 for 12 years and finally upgraded to one of those VX-3is. I can't see a lot of difference though even in low light. Nikon made some great scopes.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Congratulations.  You suck.