Home Main Category General Firearms

Opinions Please

41magnut41magnut Senior MemberPosts: 1,216 Senior Member
Gentlemen,

Considering a change in my hunting armament. 

First consideration - platform ? 

Light weight, bolt action hunting rifle < 6.5 lbs before optics/ammo/sling, with a goal of 9# kitted out. Planned optics (already in inventory) is Trijicon AccuPoint 4-16X50 

24" barrel maximum, 22 minimum. 

Composite stock

LA vs SA - I have no preference between the two & ultimately cartridge selection (another discussion) will drive that choice.

Not interested in boutique makers, but I'm flexible. $1900.00 street price is my goal, but really would like to keep it under $1100.

Two that are under consideration,

Kimber Mountain Assent or Hunter

Savage 110 Ultralight. 

I'd like to hear your personal experiences with various rifles. 

Thank you in advance for your replies.  

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,707 Senior Member
    My experience with Kimber rifles has been excellent!!!  No experience with newer Savage models.  An Ascent is on my bucket list.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #3
    No experience with Kimber, but I know they are fine rifles. I am a Savage lover though. No experience with that Savage model, but it sure looks like a lot for the money. Only problem I see with the Savage is that the 110 is LA. I don't really like LA with a SA cartridge so it would depend on caliber for me. The Kimber will have the correct action length for the cartridge you choose.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    I have used neither, but I would lean Kimber from your two options
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,315 Senior Member
    A Browning X-Bolt is worth a look.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,032 Senior Member
    My Kimber in .338 Federal has been very picky about bullets, my Savage 116 in 300 Win Mag, 11 in .308, and my Axis in .223, not as picky about bullets as about bullet weight. Buy the Savage and spend the extra money on glass.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Have you got a caliber selected?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    I am a Savage lover though.
    Way off topic .  . . I am using all my willpower to not make this my new signature.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,310 Senior Member
    I have a Savage 110 in 30-06.  It is much more accurate than it should be. 
    Another savage in .17 hmr that also is accurate.  They tend to be much more accurate than their price point would suggest  Accurate rifle at a good price leave more dollars for glass and ammo
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    PFD said:
    Michakav said:
    I am a Savage lover though.
    Way off topic .  . . I am using all my willpower to not make this my new signature.

LMAO....My wife would not agree with my statement.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,431 Senior Member
    I have a Kimber Hunter in .243 and a Savage High Country 110 in 6.5 CM.  They are both excellent rifles.  

Having said that, the Kimber has one feature that I don’t like which is why I bought the Savage when I was looking for a 6.5.

The barrel on my Kimber has an extremely thin contour.  It makes it very light.  But, the barrel is too thin to be threaded (without further shortening the barrel - not sure how much).

Since I think suppressed hunting rifles are the future, I wasn’t willing to buy another Hunter.  

If that doesn’t matter to you, get the Hunter and save yourself a ton of money. The action is outstanding and I have had great accuracy from mine,  
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply & input.

Caliber is still under consideration. I have my personal historical preferences but nothing is 100%. 

I am considering a couple of cartridges that in the past I was Luke warm about, both 7mm.
    A couple of the faster 6.5s have whispered in my ear, & I have a 6.5 CM that I have a lot of confidence in. 

Not particularly interested in a belted magnum or anything over a 30 cal., unless of course I change my mind.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    Tikka tx3 lite.Veil Wideland, Synthetic stock, stainless 24" barrel comes in at 3kg ( 6.6lb) sans scope ( slightly more for some cals )....

Moa out of the box with factory ammo, some models have an adjustable pistol grip.

Is it going to be a 270? Enquiring minds and all that........ ;)

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #14
    I've never shot nor even held a Kimber but I'll take Gun Nut's word for it. He knows his guns. But I do have a ratty old Savage 110 in 7 mag that's the most accurate rifle I own. It looks like it came right out of hell's kitchen but it hits what you aim at every time. No jams no slams, just pure accuracy.
    '

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    Tikka tx3 lite.Veil Wideland, Synthetic stock, stainless 24" barrel comes in at 3kg ( 6.6lb) sans scope ( slightly more for some cals )....

Moa out of the box with factory ammo, some models have an adjustable pistol grip.

orchidman said:

Watch out, this guy is a closet .270 guy. He says this stuff as a diversion, LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    270-W -- no, I traded off a 270 and don't care to add another.

I will admit the 270 WSM, as well as other WSM has caught my attention. Rifle selection is limited in these cartridges which limits my interest.

Ok, here are the current leaders in cartridge selection,

7MM

280 Remington
    280 A.I.
    7MM-RM*

6.5MM

6.5 PRC
    6.5 Wby RPM**

30/06
    300 WM*
    300 WSM

* see posting about changing my mind about belted magnum. SS3 has a R-700-7RM that I like, as such added for consideration. I suppose if I'm will to consider the 7-RM, I should allow the 300-WM into the academic discussion.

**The Mark V Backcountry (5.4 lbs) cataloged in 280 AI & 6.5 W-RPM - finding one available for purchase ??. I own a Wby Mk-V TTR chambered in 308W which I like. The rife (22" #4 contour barrel) weighs 8#s 

Is deer the use for this rifle?
    6.5 PRC and the 280AI would be my two choices.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Elk, Deer, Black Bear, & Pronghorn are the intended target species, light weight requirement is for walking long distances w/ pack & accouterments for a day on the mountain 

I was hot for the 6.5 PRC & other .264" offerings in the beginning, but have cooled off since it's introduction. Compare & Contrast between 30 cal & 7MM has been interesting, 

I have been a 30 cal fan-boy for the majority of my adult life, hey, an old dog can learn new tricks.

I have a Kimber Hunter in .243 and a Savage High Country 110 in 6.5 CM.  They are both excellent rifles.  

Having said that, the Kimber has one feature that I don’t like which is why I bought the Savage when I was looking for a 6.5.

The barrel on my Kimber has an extremely thin contour.  It makes it very light.  But, the barrel is too thin to be threaded (without further shortening the barrel - not sure how much).

Since I think suppressed hunting rifles are the future, I wasn’t willing to buy another Hunter.  

If that doesn’t matter to you, get the Hunter and save yourself a ton of money. The action is outstanding and I have had great accuracy from mine,  
    I questioned the slim contour on the Kimber as well.
    After further review my thoughts were that a hunting rifle, hopefully fired once, maybe twice, Heaven forbid three times, the barrel profile is less of a concern. One reason the Kimber remains under consideration.

I love my suppressors, and will continue to use them in the box blind, prairie dog town, or other venues that do not require long walks & possibly packing out on foot large pieces of animal.

I have decided to forego the heavier profile barrel required that use of the can would require for this build to save a lb or two (oz=lb=pain). Because of my sever hearing loss & to allow communications with hunting companions, I wear electronic ear-pro while hunting, the advantages of my suppressors is negated.

edited November 2020 #20
    The Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 weighs 5lb 2oz and is a good bit cheaper than the Ascent. Barrel is also threaded in case you wanted to use a suppressor. Just giving you idea's. 

Personally, I would save even more $ and go with the Hunter you mentioned in .280AI. I do like the Savage in the same caliber more, but it would depend on street price.
    41magnut said:
    Elk, Deer, Black Bear, & Pronghorn are the intended target species, light weight requirement is for walking long distances w/ pack & accouterments for a day on the mountain 

I was hot for the 6.5 PRC & other .264" offerings in the beginning, but have cooled off since it's introduction. Compare & Contrast between 30 cal & 7MM has been interesting, 

I have been a 30 cal fan-boy for the majority of my adult life, hey, an old dog can learn new tricks.

280AI would be my choice

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #22
    Sako Finnlight in caliber of choice.
    https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-finnlight
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    Michakav said:
    The Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 weighs 5lb 2oz and is a good bit cheaper than the Ascent. Barrel is also threaded in case you wanted to use a suppressor. Just giving you idea's. 

The Kimber website does not show the Montana to be available.

I wonder which model replaced it?
    ojr said:
    Sako Finnlight in caliber of choice.
    https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-finnlight

I do like Nordic products, thanks for the suggestion.

Sako doesn't catalog the current leader in today's leading cartridge choice. The platform does deserve consideration.
    41magnut said:
    Michakav said:

Hunter and Ascent.  You can still find Montanas on GB, even new ones!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

41magnut said:
    Michakav said:

https://www.kimberamerica.com/montana
    GunNut said:

Don't you have a Montana in 7-08?
    Michakav said:
    41magnut said:
    Michakav said:

Thank you, I did find the listing. 

Just proved I'm not as search-literate as I thought.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Another vote for 280 AI
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Michakav said:
    GunNut said:

Don't you have a Montana in 7-08?
    No I had a Montana in .300 WSM (Excellent rifle!!!) and I have a BEAUTIFUL Classic in 7mm-08, probably my all time favorite hunting rifle which has killed most of the stuff I've killed in my life.  I sold the Montana when I bough a Remington Custom Shop AWR(?) which was their version back then of an "ultra-light" magnum in .300 Wim Mag because I figured it would give me more flexibility in bullet selection (which actually I did NOT need) but then a few years later someone offered me an obscene amount of money for the Remington and I let it go with the idea of replacing it with a custom .338 WinMag ultralight which has not materialized yet because quite frankly, since I got my light (7 lb) .35 Whelen I have not had an itch for the .338 anymore.

41magnut said:
    Michakav said:
    41magnut said:
    Michakav said:

Thank you, I did find the listing. 

Just proved I'm not as search-literate as I thought.
    Not just you, I couldn't find it either when I looked.  I thought they'd stopped making them!