Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun storage in man cave

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,346 Senior Member
So our new house has a 10' x 12' room that will be used for guns and ammo storage. I'll also store some other related stuff in the room and maybe set up a cleaning station in there as well. Loading and other activities will probably be elsewhere. The room has no windows and I will be properly securing the door. 

No safes are moving so I'll need to come up with a good solution for organizing the guns. Obviously need a solution for long guns and handguns. I've done some googling and see some good options but would appreciate any feedback y'all might have.

Perfect world nothing would be on the floor though I might end up doing some sort of two sided floor standing rack for at least some of the long guns. I found below image (the wall mounted rack on the left) and it looks nice and appears to have decent storage density. Without providing a number, I'm storing a fair amount of guns... I'm certainly no woodworking pro but can build simple stuff.

Thoughts based on any experience or what you've seen?


Replies

  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    The woodwork would be pretty simple. The bottom board just needs something at the end to keep the stock in place and the upper part could be done with a hole saw and some sanding or filing to make the openings. 
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #3
    I am doing something very similar. Making two levels on every wall (high/low) and one wall with shelves to hold handgun racks. For the top part of the rifle racks, I’m going to drill holes and use 3” dowel rod pieces inserted in a 1x2 or 2x4 instead of the more intricate option in your picks. That way, I can space the rods according to the distance I need. Some rifles I store muzzle up and some I store muzzle down, so the top would need to be adjustable for width (barrel/buttstock). 

    Won’t go into detail, but the walls involve bricks, the door involves steel cross beams and locks, with an alarm system attached to my phone. 

    I’m finally gonna have a GUN ROOM!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    I went to my LGS and measured their racks. 



    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    I gotta get a bigger allowance!  
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,346 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I am doing something very similar. Making two levels on every wall (high/low) and one wall with shelves to hold handgun racks. For the top part of the rifle racks, I’m going to drill holes and use 3” dowel rod pieces inserted in a 1x2 or 2x4 instead of the more intricate option in your picks. That way, I can space the rods according to the distance I need. Some rifles I store muzzle up and some I store muzzle down, so the top would need to be adjustable for width (barrel/buttstock). 

    Won’t go into detail, but the walls involve bricks, the door involves steel cross beams and locks, with an alarm system attached to my phone. 

    I’m finally gonna have a GUN ROOM!!
    I like the dowel idea. Just run a 1x4 the length of the wall and go from there. 

    Yes, definitely looking forward to having a gun room instead of packing guns into safes.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,346 Senior Member
    Dowel idea worked great. I ended up using a 2x2 for the dowel host. 

    I still need to get some better handgun racks and come up with a way to rack the odd shaped stuff like AR pistols, FN PS90, specialty pistols, etc. 
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I am doing something very similar. Making two levels on every wall (high/low) and one wall with shelves to hold handgun racks. For the top part of the rifle racks, I’m going to drill holes and use 3” dowel rod pieces inserted in a 1x2 or 2x4 instead of the more intricate option in your picks. That way, I can space the rods according to the distance I need. Some rifles I store muzzle up and some I store muzzle down, so the top would need to be adjustable for width (barrel/buttstock). 

    Won’t go into detail, but the walls involve bricks, the door involves steel cross beams and locks, with an alarm system attached to my phone. 

    I’m finally gonna have a GUN ROOM!!

    I made the same sort of racks for my big safe....but I also added some tube foam to the dowels to protect the barrels on the safe queen/collector rifles. One other thing to watch out for is that gun racks in gun stores dont normally store rifles with scopes attached so make sure the depth/width of the bottom shelf and the dowels allow for the rifles with scopes attached....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    Good idea on the wrapping of the dowel rods. 
    Yes, accommodating a scope is something I’ve had to take into consideration. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,454 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Dowel idea worked great. I ended up using a 2x2 for the dowel host. 

    I still need to get some better handgun racks and come up with a way to rack the odd shaped stuff like AR pistols, FN PS90, specialty pistols, etc. 
    make one section out of something modular like this:  https://tacticalwalls.com/modwall-main/
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Good idea on the wrapping of the dowel rods. 
    Yes, accommodating a scope is something I’ve had to take into consideration. 

    If you cut the foam slightly longer than the dowel you can put a dab of contact glue inside the overhang then squeeze it between your thumb and finger so it flattens vertically. It makes it easier to guide the barrels in......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,346 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #12
    Zee said:
    Good idea on the wrapping of the dowel rods. 
    Yes, accommodating a scope is something I’ve had to take into consideration. 
    A couple of my larger rifles with large scopes need more offset from the wall than the rest of my stuff. I'll probably just build in a section with more offset for those handful of rifles.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    I just measured again (more planning) and 12” off the wall seems to work whether muzzle up or down with my larger scopes. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,289 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #14
    Zee said:
    I just measured again (more planning) and 12” off the wall seems to work whether muzzle up or down with my larger scopes. 
    Just a thought but if you place dowels/rifles diagonal to the wall at a 45 degree angle you can cut that substantially without loosing anything on the overall capacity and the guns show better.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,346 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I just measured again (more planning) and 12” off the wall seems to work whether muzzle up or down with my larger scopes. 
    Just a thought but if you place dowels/rifles diagonal to the wall at a 45 degree angle you can cut that substantially without loosing anything on the overall capacity and the guns show better.
    Yeah. For now I have a couple sideways on the wall leaning on a dowel. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,289 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I just measured again (more planning) and 12” off the wall seems to work whether muzzle up or down with my larger scopes. 
    Just a thought but if you place dowels/rifles diagonal to the wall at a 45 degree angle you can cut that substantially without loosing anything on the overall capacity and the guns show better.
    Yeah. For now I have a couple sideways on the wall leaning on a dowel. 
    By going to 45 degrees I found it’s easier to deal with the bolts and I can actually get the guns closer together and closer to the back wall.  The rifles do show better, specially the ones with nice stocks!   Learned that trick from my buddy’s LGS setup years ago.  Again just a thought.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    You don’t need the dowels at a 45 to have the guns at an angle. Just rest them on one of the back corners at an angle. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,289 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #18
    Zee said: You don’t need the dowels at a 45 to have the guns at an angle. Just rest them on one of the back corners at an angle. 
    That’s absolutely correct but if you do have the dowels at a 45 degree angle it does make it easier to pull the guns out without banging into each other or having to move other guns out of the way.  Of course if you keep the dowels short then it’s not an issue at all. 

    Curious, why do you want some of the guns barrel down?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    Many of my guns are quite heavy. Prolonged storage on a corner of the recoil pad could cause the pad to compress and lose its shape/usefulness. 
    Storing muzzle down prevents that. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement