Interesting HD item

NomadacNomadac Senior MemberPosts: 890 Senior Member
I received this in an email and thought it was interesting. For someone that might be resistant to having a firearm, this might be something to consider, vs. mace of tear gas spray. Kinda of big to carry in a purse, LOL
Quote:
I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...
If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.
Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.
The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.
On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.
Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.
Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."
Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
It's also one he wants everyone to hear If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.
Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life
Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp!!!
Probably not a bad idea to carry a can in your car when traveling too.

I might try that on some chipmunks I see in my yard. It would be interesting on snakes if it really works.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    A study done by the USDA in 1998 determined that a 2-second blast of Raid wasp spray would kill brown tree snakes within 4.5 hours. I'd not call that a quick-kill option.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/98pubs/98-107.pdf

However, I'm not sure I'd rely on wasp spray for HD or SD. You also need to check local regulations to see if it's even legal to use wasp spray on humans. Some only allow pepper spray.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    EPA would probably be after you for using wasp spray in a manner not acording to its intended usage.:fan:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member
    We have this same discussion awhile back...I think there are better options...I'll keep a shotgun near my bedroom door and a handgun near the bed...Now if I was mugged while spraying wasps that would be a whole nother thing......
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    There's a better method. Wasp spray and a BIC lighter makes a dandy flamethrower! BBQ scumbag- - - -medium-rare!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CaptainRoadBlockCaptainRoadBlock Member Posts: 49 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    There's a better method. Wasp spray and a BIC lighter makes a dandy flamethrower! BBQ scumbag- - - -medium-rare!
    Jerry

There Be a Hot Time In The Ole Town Tonight!!!!!!!:rotflmao:
    So Officer, why did you shoot my client 8 times? Uh, the magazine ran dry.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

I like this option.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    Officer, it was the damnedest thing, this person attacked me while I was lighting a cigarette & killing a wasp next. When he attacked me, I guess the stream got too close to my lighter and as I was trying to get away the can must have gotten pointed at him

Think the responding officers would buy that?? :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,560 Senior Member
    I would take this..... images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqBsA4NAbe-8pQEHwIzM0AJBnPiPxa-pFsVHwd755-SxucrS8nIg over this.... 400.jpg

However, I would take this... 400.jpg over this.... [IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmLAGi0DFXDi4WLrxkEbhjvnCYkT1il d5nQSIzHY5_EMypEUUT[/IMG]

This is someone (I assume) familiar with firearms in a controlled non-life threatening situation at a stationary target. He completely misses the first shot....... Only get two, and that is four less than a pocket 9...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Guns? Who has guns? All of mine were lost in a tragic boating accident...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I remember a guy telling Me he used easy off oven cleaner for self defense, spray at the eyes he said, I never tried it however.

Had a bad episode with mace in high winds, it shifted and the spray mostly went in My face and not the perps, he would have gotten away but ran smack dab into a brace of N.Y.C.P.D. uniforms that made lots of snide comments about My aptitude or the lack thereof etc.... I swore off mace after that incident.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I remember a guy telling Me he used easy off oven cleaner for self defense, spray at the eyes he said, I never tried it however.

Yeah...I can see where spraying a healthy dose of lye into a bad guys eyes might work pretty well....however, you should probably prepare yourself for the consequences of permanently blinding someone... like giving them your house. Actually, in most states with Castle Doctrine laws, you're much better off just shooting them
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    Hey, guys I just thought it was interesting reading, I am not endorsing it over guns. Years ago I did remove a hornets next from a tree for my cousin using a 12 ga. instead of a can of wasp spray. Worked great, I didn't even have to worry about them flying out of the nest if I had sprayed them.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Actually there were so many good reasons for me not to try easy off, the wind shifting and putting it in My eyes was one reason I had thought of too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • mike2010mike2010 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.
    mike2010 wrote: »
    Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.

Ummmmm...take it from me...Pepper Spray does NOT work every time...particularly on that group of people you mentioned...just like any "less than lethal" better have someone standing by with another option...
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    mike2010 wrote: »
    It is a myth!
    A myth sent by email including the words "Please share this with all the people......"?
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.