Home Main Category Hunting

Original Swift Scirocco 1, "Yard art" 0

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,545 Senior Member
Before I got my positive covid report, I was already "grounded" for 6 days with a bum leg and Dr's orders to, "Limit walking as much as possible"

This afternoon, wife walked by the kitchen window and commented we had 2 deer in the back yard. She looked out the back door as I looked out the window. I saw a third one, a mature doe.
Grabbed the suppressed 223 AR and chambered a handload with one of the (discontinued) original 75gr Swift Sciroccos.
Stepped out on the back deck, used the grill for a rest and popped her in the neck at ~30 yards. She did a back flip and hit the ground. I missed the spine, as she kept kicking. Since she wasn't as dead as I wanted her, she picked her head up and I put a second one just below her right ear. That one stopped everything.

Since I'm not supposed to walk anymore than necessary, cleared the weapon, put on my pants (Yes, I shot a deer in my underwear) walked out front to my truck and drove around too her.
First shot was a little low to take out her spine, and had a dime sized exit wound.
Second one exited below her left eye (steep downward angle from my back deck to where she was standing) had a quarter sized exit. All in all, something to break my dry spell anyway
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Good job! 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,580 Senior Member
    Good that you filled a tag.  
    TMI on your hunting attire  B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,308 Senior Member
    Meat in the fridge👍
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,094 Senior Member
    Next time, wear a skirt! Seriously, congrats!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,355 Senior Member
    Nice!  Congrats
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,545 Senior Member
    edited December 2020 #7
    Thanks guys. When you're grounded, :disappointed:  you do whatcha gotta do :D 

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,702 Senior Member
    Good to see the 'rona hasn't slowed you down!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Nope
    Also @GunNut, gimme a call please, kinda important

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,030 Senior Member
    Is this when you get the spider bite?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Is this when you get the spider bite?
    No, that was probably Sunday evening in my shooting house where we normally hunt. I'd already been to the ER about my leg the night before/morning of, killing the "yard art"

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,702 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Nope
    Also @GunNut, gimme a call please, kinda important
    I’ll ring you today.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,313 Senior Member
    Spider bites are nothing to play around with. Several years back I was bitten by a brown recluse while in Iowa. Long story short, less than 2 years ago I had to have vascular surgery at the bite site. Spider bites can have long lasting effects.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Yeah, this is another in a LONG list of them, including one Brown Recluse bite

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    There probably are very few people in the modern age that have shot deer in their underwear.
    You should pleased that your natural reaction to survive and fill the Larder came before pants.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    If the wife would have been on the ball, a cell phone picture of you on a rifle using the the grill as a rest whilst in your tighty whiteys would have been an awesome Christmas card picture for next year.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Once imagined, can't forget. A Christmas card I'd just as soon NOT get! ;)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited January 1 #18
    Photoshop in a Christmas stocking cap, some Santa boots, a couple reindeer standing on either side of the grill......
    edited January 1 #19
    No tightey whities for me, either navy blue/black "boxer briefs"

Except for white waiste band, they look like shorts 

knitepoet said:
    No tightey whities for me, either navy blue/black "boxer briefs"

Except for white waiste band, they look like shorts 
    All photo-shoppable :D
    Boxer briefs. I've never understood those. The worst features of both boxers and briefs, the best features of neither. Different strokes and all that...

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,447 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    There probably are very few people in the modern age that have shot deer in their underwear.

I've never even SEEN a deer in their underwear.  😂
    That's all I got.

Paul