Which .22 LR round for self defense?

124»

Replies

• twistedcrosstwistedcross New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    There was so much misinformation in this thread, I had to register to refute it. The .22lr will kill you dead in typical home defense ranges (3-15'). Period. If the heart is completely blown out of a human's chest, they still have the ability to live 10-15 seconds on the oxygen already pumping through their brain. Before dismissing the .22lr, know that 80% of people shot with handguns survive with immediate medical attention, regardless of caliber. A .22lr has no problem, whatesoever, penetrating the human skull at 15'+. They have little recoil, so they can be discharged faster with greater accuracy. A .22lr will penetrate 3 inches into a solid block of wood. It will also penetrate 4 layers of denim and 4 inches of raw pork roast at great range. The Federal government ran a study, and determined that penetration was the biggest factor in damage, followed by bullet diameter. In other words, any bullet that can penetrate 12 inches of ballistic material can punch through organs and be fatal. A .22lr falls into that category. Bigger is better, but that little bullet is more than adequate by their guidelines, and real world testing. The .22 is responsible for the greatest number of handgun deaths in the United States. Any paramedic or ER nurse you know, will confirm what caliber causes the greatest amount of handgun wounds.

Scroll down to bullet efficiency
    http://www.virginiacops.org/Articles/Shooting/Combat.htm

Ballistic test
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/WaltherP22test.html

US DoJ findings
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

300 yards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0&feature=related

75 yards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFG3s4pm6qE&feature=related

25 yards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBc5VGH5dg

Simulated head shot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHXzX8T5ew&feature=related

Regardless of caliber... shot placement, shot placement, shot placement... confirmed in BOTH law enforcement studies. Infinitely more important than caliber.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Yeah, I've killed plenty of those hard to kill squirrels with a .22.... I have also had some not penetrate the wood stake holding the target up too. Like my original opinion was on the subject, if that is what you choose to defend your life and the lives of your family with, good luck. You are probably going to need it....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Marginal is still marginal, poor medicine at best.

Go with a proven performer.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Even after all this I believe the 22 you WILL carry is better than that 45 you left at home.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Even after all this I believe the 22 you WILL carry is better than that 45 you left at home.

Oh horse cookies, folks that just do not want to carry will find scads of excuses not to carry, I rather carry the best, minimal is a sub compact 9mm or .45 acp of some ilk.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    OH? My own son carries a 22 by choice when he can carry other things. I got no issue with it. Still I offer the other things nearly everytime we go out. Sometimes he carries the 6" Ruger GP 100 but he also carries his lil Sig.

Still you are correct in that some people will find any excuse not to carry what they have.

I personally carry a 9mm or 357 of some ilk. Tho I have carried his lil Sig... I found that I like the holster after thinking I wouldn't.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,494 Senior Member
    There was so much misinformation in this thread, I had to register to refute it. .

Welcome! So let me understand...folks saying that a .22 isn't the best choice for SD/HD is misinformation?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Welcome aboard.

Big Chief and all the other nay sayers there is another .327 guy. Watch out it may be a conspiracy, maybe we have a social revolution in progress.

Even if he has a taurus.

JS I'm glad your here to help straighten out the misguided.

Every-time I see ".327" I thunk it's a misprint for the real deal..the mighty .357 Remington Magnum, the King :guns::tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Birdshot.

(runs and ducks bottles) :tooth:
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
    RE:

Well, raw pork roast don't shoot back or attack people with a very sharp pig sticker, so when possible I'll always choose a larger caliber than .22
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,177 Senior Member
    Any paramedic or ER nurse you know, will confirm what caliber causes the greatest amount of handgun wounds.

I think that used to be true...however, most of the GSWs I encountered in the "Knife and Gun Club" where I worked in EMS were inflicted with 9mm....the population base included a lot of punk gang bangers who preferred a High Point "9" or some other cheap, disposable pistol
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I think that used to be true...however, most of the GSWs I encountered in the "Knife and Gun Club" where I worked in EMS were inflicted with 9mm....the population base included a lot of punk gang bangers who preferred a High Point "9" or some other cheap, disposable pistol

I like your description of the HI-Point..."Disposable".....:guns::tooth:

But are they flush able and safe fer septic tanks? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    twistedcross:
    Welcome aboard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    There was so much misinformation in this thread,I had to register to refute it.
    You mean like this?
    The .22 is responsible for the greatest number of handgun deaths in the United States. Any paramedic or ER nurse you know, will confirm what caliber causes the greatest amount of handgun wounds.
    And just so you know, I've been a paramedic, longer than quite a few of the members here have been alive (27 years in Sept). Most of that time has been in what is perennially on the "Ten deadliest cities" list.
    In all those years, I remember one big guy killed by 6 22LR and another killed by 1 22 mag that entered his shoulder, deflected off the clavicle and lodges in his heart. I've worked on a LOT more folks shot with 380, 9mm and 40 S&W

Regardless of caliber... shot placement, shot placement, shot placement...<snip> Infinitely more important than caliber.
    Finally something I can agree with
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.