Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Anyone else notice...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,562 Senior Member
...when the news is/was talking about biden's "covid stimulus plan" it includes raising the minimum wage to $15/hr.

They seem to be mentioning that really quick and trying not to draw too much attention to that
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    Yep. Noticed that right off. It'll get shaved off the bill, I'm expecting.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,324 Senior Member
    Oh I sure did notice.  If they raise the minimum wage that high, how much if a raise are the rest of us going g to get?  I mean. If someone gets 15.00 for mopping a floor what does a technician going to get?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,562 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #4
    Burger, fries and a drink from fast food burger joints will be $20 by summer is my prediction if it happens
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,453 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Oh I sure did notice.  If they raise the minimum wage that high, how much if a raise are the rest of us going g to get?  I mean. If someone gets 15.00 for mopping a floor what does a technician going to get?
    I wondered that myself.
    What happens when a burger flipper making $15 an hour interviews for a $20 an hour job finds out he's not even close.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 621 Senior Member
    Here in the great dictatorship of Washington our minimum wage is pretty close to that. It hasn’t worked at all not surprisingly. One of the biggest things is you just can’t force people to have money. Some people if you pay them $8 or $15 an hour will have no money at the end of the week.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,429 Senior Member
    Here in the great dictatorship of Washington our minimum wage is pretty close to that. It hasn’t worked at all not surprisingly. One of the biggest things is you just can’t force people to have money. Some people if you pay them $8 or $15 an hour will have no money at the end of the week.
    What has happened to prices since the minimum wage has increased?
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    The thing the demonrats love to do with legislation is to stuff all the goody-wants into one bill and to only talk about the one or two things that "everyone" wants to have.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If minimum wage goes to $15/hr then the NET PROFIT for the product that employee must produce will have to be at least $40 above the base cost of the employee to the employer. Ya know, that health insurance, other benefits, and business overhead and fixed costs. I see MASSIVE AUTOMATION on the horizon. The burger flipper and fries machines are already a fact. And order kiosks are already replacing that employee taking food orders. If the cost of the employee does not make it worthwhile and profitable for the employer then that job will be automated and the employee sent out the door. 

Like I've heard all my life, "Want in your left hand and start pooping in your right hand and see which one fills up faster." Pricing the value of your work above what the market will bear is a good way to live dumpster diving for your daily food ration, and sleeping under a bridge.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,151 Senior Member
    I think the addition of contentious details into bills has become normal strategic tactic for both sides.

A society that places no value on honest labor will have consequences. The problem is bigger than the proposed remedy.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
     I see MASSIVE AUTOMATION on the horizon. 
    Yep.  Been giving this some thought over the last few years, and I think we're headed to a point where "(insert name of task here) robot programmer and maintenance tech" is going to be one of the few jobs left to humans, aside from maybe prostitute and drug dealer.

Assembling, disassembling, inspecting, reassembling - - if the machine in question is designed in concert with being maintained by other machines, what task is out there that the machines can't do better and cheaper than meat puppets?

We're going to get collectively dumber and less capable as a result of this.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    It will have lots of unintended consequences. Lets take fast food, McDonalds will have the know how and the money to automate but the Mom and Pop down the street won't have either. They might hang in there for a while, you don't have to pay yourself $15, but at some point they will quit and nobody will take their place. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,521 Senior Member
    My wife's mom and step dad just purchased a second carryout pizza store.  Not being part of a chain really does limit business.  I dont know what they pay themselves, but I suspect it currently just barely covers the bills.  Up their employee overhead and I suspect they wont be in business much longer.  it only took them 5 years to turn around a failing business (the first location they purchased) to a point where it is making a profit, but not by much at all.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    What about wait staff at places like Chili's, Applebees, etc.?  If I have to pay $20 for a burger I paid $10-$12 before the minimum pay went to $15, and know that the server is now making $15/hour, I will be much less inclined to leave much of a tip, or perhaps no tip at all.  The same applies to any restaurant.

The net effect is that people who work these jobs will probably take home less than they do now.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    What about wait staff at places like Chili's, Applebees, etc.?  If I have to pay $20 for a burger I paid $10-$12 before the minimum pay went to $15, and know that the server is now making $15/hour, I will be much less inclined to leave much of a tip, or perhaps no tip at all.  The same applies to any restaurant.

The net effect is that people who work these jobs will probably take home less than they do now.
    Yep.  And that’s the point- make those people MORE dependent on government while blaming all the bad stuff on big business. 

There is a plan behind all of this, and the last 4 years were just a bump in the road they have been paving for years
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Two tacos, a chicken quesedilla, and a large drink ran me twelve bucks and change through the local drive through a couple days ago.  Since all that was piecemeal and not a menu combo, probably a couple bucks more than the same calorie count via a combo would have been.  Nuts!

The line between bravery and balls:  Bravery is charging $5 for a cup of coffee.  Balls is putting out a tip jar.

I think Bullsi is right about tips becoming a thing of the past.
    WWJMBD?

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    Tips will be gone. The places that cant automate will be drive through only. If your BK doesnt have a dining area, there is no need to pay people to bus tables and mop floors. Less heat to pay, smaller bldg means less tax and upfront cost, no old codgers sitting there drinking coffee for 4 hours.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    Tips will be gone. The places that cant automate will be drive through only. If your BK doesnt have a dining area, there is no need to pay people to bus tables and mop floors. Less heat to pay, smaller bldg means less tax and upfront cost, no old codgers sitting there drinking coffee for 4 hours.
    Yep, "Checkers" has been around for years, and they seem to be doing pretty well without the dine-in feature.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,719 Senior Member
    All it does it accelerate the adoption of automation.  A human-less McDonalds is just around the corner...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    All it does it accelerate the adoption of automation.  A human-less McDonalds is just around the corner...
    That's not ENTIRELY true.  You forgot about the McSoylent Green.
    WWJMBD?

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,719 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:
    It’s plankton no?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 505 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:
    It’s plankton no?
    That's what they want You to believe..
  • KSUFirefighter2KSUFirefighter2 Posts: 38 Member
    From what I've seen of the plan, eliminating the tip wage is part of it. He laid out his plan from day one, job killing, and lots of it. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    From what I've seen of the plan, eliminating the tip wage is part of it. He laid out his plan from day one, job killing, and lots of it. 
    It will be much easier to tax all earnings of wait staff and others who depend on tips for income if the government can eliminate unreported tips as sources of income.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.