Home Main Category Clubhouse

I need a new video cam - any suggestions?

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 24,986 Senior Member
edited February 2021 in Clubhouse #1
I'm doing more videography of late, what with YouTube vids and virtual performances. I have a rather nice Sony video cam - except it now shoots dark, grainy, out of focus video. I don't know if it deteriorated, or was always that way, but it sucks.
I recorded a virtual performance yesterday, and as I haven't been too thrilled with the Sony of late, I set both the Sony up, as well as a Polaroid "action cam" that I have. Thank Goddess I did, the results were about what I expected. The Sony's video was horrid, the action cam's was pretty darn good - and had slightly better sound to boot!
Of course, neither was optimal; the action cam - being what it is - gave me a nice fish eye effect, which I was able to partially mitigate in post production. OTOH, the Sony really isn't wide enough for the videography I seem to be doing these days, I practically had to put it in the business next door to be able to get a large enough field of view! It didn't help that I was slightly over 8 feet tall with that candelabra balanced on my head - what if I'd been in heels? Although I managed to get the Sony back far enough, its video was so horrid, that I went with the action cam's.
Therefore - I need a new video camera. It needs to have a fairly wide angle lens, no fisheye and preferably with minimal rectilinear distortion. Telephoto is of little concern - I need W-I-D-E! Good low light capability is always a plus. Image stabilization isn't such a requirement, as I mainly shoot from a tripod anyway, but it wouldn't hurt. I would prefer one with both a viewfinder as well as a screen - but if push comes to shove, I'd take the viewfinder over the screen "by a nose". Physical size isn't a concern, good audio is. Yesterday's video had music playing as well as my playing finger cymbals. Finger cymbals can be problematic to mic - although both cameras did well yesterday, the action cam slightly better. What often happens is either you can't hear the cymbals, or they overload the mic and you can hear the music!
There's 50 million of them out there, any recommendations?
Oh, and good closeup focusing would be great too - doesn't have to be "super macro", but a foot or so would be wonderful - I've made a few gun vids as well!
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
)O(

Replies

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 445 Member
    edited February 2021 #2
    Any new smartphone ?? ;)

Me hides i n the deepest, darkest corners of the web  as now SHTF :)
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    Any new smartphone ?? ;)

Me hides i n the deepest, darkest corners of the web  as now SHTF :)

I knew some wag would suggest that! Congrats - you beat GunNut to the punch! Well played. Even I'll admit that cell phone cameras are pretty darn good - they should be as much as they cost!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    All jokes aside there are folks out there shooting/editing movie quality and professional commercial video on iPhone 12 Pro.  I know it’s not what your asking but when you compare the cost to comparable dedicated equipment it REALLY cost effective.
    GunNut said:
    All jokes aside there are folks out there shooting/editing movie quality and professional commercial video on iPhone 12 Pro.  I know it’s not what your asking but when you compare the cost to comparable dedicated equipment it REALLY cost effective.
    No doubt. The form factor sucks, and the lens is small (but fast!), but good pix/video is one of the few things that smartphones can do reasonably well.

)O(
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    No doubt. The form factor sucks, and the lens is small (but fast!), but good pix/video is one of the few things that smartphones can do reasonably well.
    If you really look at the specs of the 12 Pro and the fact that it has 3 lenses built in, the numbers are absolutely amazing, plus they do some REALLY cool stuff with the software in the background and the results are amazing!!!  

They are just about killing the commercial photographer gig, and I've gotten that from several professional photographers I know.  The photos for my new website were all take with my iPhone 12 Pro and edited on the phone.  But, the new picture editing software for the Mac is fantastic too and comes with the machine.  Again not trying to convince you to buy any of this, I know better.  Just a commentary on where the technology is nowadays.

BTW have you thought about buying a slightly older (1 or 2 generations older) tech SLR?  My Nikon D90 which was state of the art a few years ago can now be had (lenses too) for quite reasonable money and it shoots amazing quality 720p video which for most folks, especially for website applications, is PLENTY good.  And that camera still takes amazing still photos.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    just some thoughts...

do you really need a "Video" camera?  If you plan to do vids out and about i can see needed a camea.

but if you doing all of your stuff at home, maybe you can get by with a usb/connected type of camera and connect direct to your PC/Laptop.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,144 Senior Member
    GoPro
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    GoPro
    Go pro is great... for action sports.  The depth of field, wide angle and slight fisheye can be ‘sub optimal’ for things like gun cams, anything that you want a tight angle on, or want detail on things in mid distance.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Diver43 said:
    GoPro
    Go pro is great... for action sports.  The depth of field, wide angle and slight fisheye can be ‘sub optimal’ for things like gun cams, anything that you want a tight angle on, or want detail on things in mid distance.

Exactly. The Polaroid "Action Cam" that I ended up using the video from is very similar. Takes great video, but the fish-eye is a problem!

)O(
    edited February 2021 #11
    GunNut said:
    BTW have you thought about buying a slightly older (1 or 2 generations older) tech SLR?  My Nikon D90 which was state of the art a few years ago can now be had (lenses too) for quite reasonable money and it shoots amazing quality 720p video which for most folks, especially for website applications, is PLENTY good.  And that camera still takes amazing still photos.
    You know - THAT is an idea worth looking into! I'm heavily invested into the Minolta/Sony A-mount, and have a butt ton of lenses. Some of the newer "mirrorless" Sonys will work with A-mount, and their newer e-mount cameras will with an adapter. May be too rich for my blood, but I'll dig around.
    As for photo editing on the Mac - that's what I use, for now, but I'm moving back to Linux "next time" after 20 years or so on Mac. The problem with Apple is they come out with something wonderful, wait 3 years until everybody adopts it, then drop it like a hot potato! Aperture was wonderful, iPhoto was wonderful, then they gave us "Photos", which was oriented towards the selfie/snapshot crowd. Thanx guys... For better or for worse, I'm switching to cross platform, open source software which has its own set of problems, but has a much better chance of being there in 5 or 10 years. Using **** for photos, and something called "Shotcut" for videos after hitting one bug too many in iMovie. I'm still using iPhoto, but will replace it with one of the many similar programs on Linux when I make the move...

)O(
    Went and looked - I can get an older Sony SLT that will do 1080 video for under $200. Seems like a no-brainer to me, I have an inquiry in on a Sony forum as to anything particular to watch out for...

Thanx GunNut!

)O(
    zorba said:
    Went and looked - I can get an older Sony SLT that will do 1080 video for under $200. Seems like a no-brainer to me, I have an inquiry in on a Sony forum as to anything particular to watch out for...

Thanx GunNut!
    You are welcome!  Just make sure you can get replacement rechargeable batteries.  That's where most folks get bit in the ass when companies change the models.  Other than that you should be good to go.
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Thanx GunNut!
    You are welcome!  Just make sure you can get replacement rechargeable batteries.  That's where most folks get bit in the ass when companies change the models.  Other than that you should be good to go.
    Yea, that's one major reason I don't like battery equipment of any/all kinds, but with a camera you're kinda stuck with them. The good news is that Sony still makes batteries for all their older DSLRs, and they used the same battery for many years.

)O(
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Thanx GunNut!
    Yea, that's one major reason I don't like battery equipment of any/all kinds, but with a camera you're kinda stuck with them. The good news is that Sony still makes batteries for all their older DSLRs, and they used the same battery for many years.
    Excellent!  Good luck then.
    Well crapola. It looks like this is out. Turns out the vintage gear that I could afford has sensor overheating issues if used for video longer than about 5 minutes! The newer stuff is fine, but costs thousands and then I'd have to buy a lens adapter that alone costs more than I'm willing to pay for an entire camera!
    Sigh! It was a beautiful idea.

)O(
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,208 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Well crapola. It looks like this is out. Turns out the vintage gear that I could afford has sensor overheating issues if used for video longer than about 5 minutes! The newer stuff is fine, but costs thousands and then I'd have to buy a lens adapter that alone costs more than I'm willing to pay for an entire camera!
    Gods way of telling you to buy an IPhone 12 ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    zorba said:
    Yet another reason I'm glad I'm a Pagan! :smiley:

)O(
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,208 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    zorba said:
    Can't bless you if you won't listen o:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    zorba said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    zorba said:
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    CHIRO1989 said:
    zorba said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    zorba said:
    I'm "equal opportunity" - I'll gladly accept blessings from any/every one!

)O(
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    Go Pro is a fairly good camera. It is designed for action stuff, like sports, and other outdoor stuff and is waterproof down to about 100 feet. I use one for my bike excursions. You can get a refurb on Ebay for way lower than retail.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!