Home Main Category General Firearms

Taking a break, my hands are sore 😎

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
edited February 2021 in General Firearms #1

Breaking-in new guns and taking some old friends out on a date!

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    I see some fun stuff there! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    I was thinking something different when I read that thread title. 🤣🤣🤣

I really wish I had a place like that to shoot at, think of the cool exploding videos I could make. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    One of my conference calls was cancelled today giving me 3 hours with no breaks right after I did 2 hours of private training, so I stayed at the range and called my future SIL over to help me break in the new training guns, 3 Glock 44s and my second 43X.  He was a little rusty on handguns so I put put him through some of my fundamentals drills and he was back on his game in about 10 minutes.  Then we gave the Glocks a good run!

The 44s are quickly becoming my favorite training gun.  They feel like a 19 minus the recoil and somewhat lighter but they operate like the centerfire gun so drills and reloads etc are exactly the same.

The 43X is an absolute darling and it's now my favorite carry gun (GOD I never thought I'd say that).  It is also hands down the favorite gun of basically everyone that takes my one-on-one Handgun Fundamentals training.  I've probably sold more freaking Glock 43Xs in the last few months that Biden...   :D
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I like that one on the left.
    edited February 2021 #6
    I like that one on the left.
    A classic!  One of my Mark I pistols, born in 1958 IIRC.
    Spk said:

I really wish I had a place like that to shoot at, think of the cool exploding videos I could make. 👍
    That’s just one of the pistol lanes with berms in 3 sides.   Also have a half moon berm that’s about 20-30 yards wide and a nice BIG shotguns field.  It’s my home away from home, not even 10 minutes from my front door.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    Ya gotta rest *sometime*!!!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,455 Senior Member
    What’s there to break in?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Those Glock 44 mags smooth out significantly after a few cycles and I had 10 to test out with different types of ammo.  The 44s run better after a few mags though them too.  Now they are flawless!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Spk said:

That’s just one of the pistol lanes with berms in 3 sides.   Also have a half moon berm that’s about 20-30 yards wide and a nice BIG shotguns field.  It’s my home away from home, not even 10 minutes from my front door.

Where's the quonset hut? That's the only thing missing. 🤣
    👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,455 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Those Glock 44 mags smooth out significantly after a few cycles and I had 10 to test out with different types of ammo.  The 44s run better after a few mags though them too.  Now they are flawless!
    Ok, I need more detail. 

“Smooth out” - what does that mean?
    ”Run better” - than what?
    ”Flawless” - what were the issues?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Wow! Looks like fun. Winter finally hit the prairie and drove us indoors.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Ok, I need more detail. 

“Smooth out” - what does that mean?
    ”Run better” - than what?
    ”Flawless” - what were the issues?
    All the magazines I either bought or came with the pistols (all factory mags) are stiff and seem "rough" as you load. The followers are not completely smooth as they run up and down the body of the mag.  the springs are very stiff and the inside of the lips has what I can only describe as a little too much "grab(?)".

I believe because of this I tended to have at least one FTF per mag.  What would happen is that the gun would fire and slide would cycle but the next round stayed firmly in the mag.  No jams, just never fed from the mag.  This was easily corrected by a quick tap/rack and we were back in action.

I though this might have been ammo related, but as we ran more and more mags we noticed that these incidents started to go away and the magazines just felt "smoother" during the loading process.

After a while the guns were running at 100% with both good standard velocity ammo and some of the more zippy stuff.  Also of note, I never had any failures to feed from rounds coming at the chamber from weird angles as I've experienced in other .22s throughout the whole process and just one stovepipe but I believe that was user induced because I let a student fire a mag through one of the pistols and I think her thumb might have interfered with slide movement during cycling.  But that one I could not reproduce.

On a very nice note these 44s seem to be the only gun that reliably ignites the old leftover Rem Thunderbolts I have from the last .22 draught so I now have a good way to dispose of them.
    bellcat said:
    Wow! Looks like fun. Winter finally hit the prairie and drove us indoors.
    We've been getting a lot of 30-40s here but hey, extra layer and go.  I know it's not polar but for us Southerners that darn chilly.   B)
    Spk said:
    GunNut said:
    Spk said:

Where's the quonset hut? That's the only thing missing. 🤣
    👍
    Crazily enough you have NO idea how close you are to an upcoming announcement I'm keeping in my pocket for now...  ;)