Home Main Category General Firearms

I don’t get this, Glock slides are going for more $$$ than whole guns?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Sorry for the longish post but some background on this should help explain why I'm doing this...

As you guys might remember I bought a Glock 43 a while back, mostly for my wife but she’s never cozied up to it and neither did I originally.  So as an experiment, I later bought a brand new 43x-48 frame and installed the 43 slide on it basically making myself what I jokingly call a FrankenGlock 43x.

Well, that's the gun that I brought with me to get certified as a trainer and in 3 days I shot over 400 rounds of ammo with a gun that I had shot 10 rounds on just to make sure it cycled ok and it was flawless!!!  And I now have to admit I fell in love with the damn thing, enough that I have not had a 1911 on me since I can't remember when!!!

Anyway, so now I have the 43 frame and a bunch of mags laying around so I want to go bak to having two working guns so I started looking for a 43, 43x or 48 slide to put on the 43x frame I bought so I could return the slide back to the original 43.

And, DAMN!!!  stripped slides, either Glock or aftermarket are running at about $180 on the low end for a tripped aftermarket to well over $300 on the MOS high end!  Then throw in another $150-$200 for a barrel and another $100 for the slide bits to finish it up!!!!  So you're looking at about $500 on the low end to get a new slide or take-off.

Complete slides are going for insane money from well over $500+ for a regular 43 slide to over $700 for MOS versions!  That is actually higher than a complete new gun!!!  People are bidding them up on Gunbroker and eBay like crazy!

So I found solution because while I was at Sportsman's Warehouse picking up my 3rd training 44 I saw a brand new 43x on the wall at pre-panic pricing and snatched it up right then and there, so now I will return the original slide to the 43 and I also just got a brand new 48X MOS on GB for a very good deal so I grabbed that too and that gives me the whole range of carry option on the same platform (43, 43X, 48).  And, I'll be listing the original 43x frame on GB because they now bring over $300+ and recover that money.  I also now have enough 15 round Shield Arms mags to feed the 43X and 48.

But my real question is WHY are slides more expensive than the actual compete guns?  If I shop carefully, and I always do, I can still get a new 43 sub $500, a 43X sub $500 and a 48 MOS sub $600.  So paying so much for slides makes no sense to me!  Maybe someone can explain this to me?  I'm truly curious as to what I'm missing...

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    You been out of the loop for way too long regarding the 80% builder crowd. They've been snapping up all the top ends and lower parts Glock stuff for well over a year now. And they're moving in heavily on the 1911 slides, barrels, and lower parts like locusts on fresh greens. Same-same on AR uppers 'n' lower parts kits and accessories. 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    It's nuts. A Glock 19 MOS slide goes for $400-$450 on eBay, and a Blue Label GUN is ~$500. 

I think Mike nailed it though, 80% builders capitalizing on it. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Oh yeah!  I forgot about those folks.  Didn’t think there was an 80% “slim” frame out there.  I guess that would explain it but damn, you could still just buy a complete gun and sell the frame on GB and make out much better...  
    Besides not being “registered”, is there any advantage to those frames?  Strength, quality, features?  I can’t imagine that one of those aftermarket or 80% frames has Glock OEM frames beat in any particular category, or am I wrong?   I have done ZERO research on the subject.
    knitepoet said:
    The not being "registered" IS the main attraction AFAIK
    So buying a complete gun and then selling the frame doesn't really fit in with the whole picture. There's still a paper trail showing you bought a Glock XX.

Yep, but then there is a paper trail showing you sold it too as long as you follow the laws, no?  I guess I look at it as a more cost issue than I probably should.  People just do crazy stuff...  

The again I just realized that even if you are not elegible to own a firearms in the first place, for a whole bunch of any of the right reasons, I guess you could just buy an 80% frame which does not require an FFL, and a complete slide, which does not either, and end up with a perfectly functioning handgun that's untraceable?  Except for the fact that Glock serializes the slide and barrel to the gun so this would not work with factory parts which are still selling for obnoxious prices.

In any case I guess I should be thinking more like someone who CAN'T buy a handgun legally going out and buying a Glock illegally in a paper bag from some ghetto dude?  I assume then the money works out, though I will admit to not being savvy as to the price of guns in Chicago, New York, LA, Seattle, Washington DC ghettos nowadays.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    I may or may not have experienced something similar if I had actually been in the market for a Glock slide...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    So buying a complete gun and then selling the frame doesn't really fit in with the whole picture. There's still a paper trail showing you bought a Glock XX.

If you buy anything on gunbroker, there is a digital trail.  I wonder how many buyers know that.
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 32 Member
    There is also a paper trail if you buy an 80% lower. Companies keep records of customers. And you can't legally sell a firearm you built from an 80% lower/frame.
    There is also a paper trail if you buy an 80% lower. Companies keep records of customers. And you can't legally sell a firearm you built from an 80% lower/frame.
    Actually yes you can.  What you can NOT do is build one specifically to sell to another person.  Once the 80% firearm is built it is just another firearm you own and gets treated exactly the same as any other gun.

The days of the anonymous transaction are over.  The government, banks, credit cards companies, common carriers, etc share info on everything.  Bank of America just supplied the Biden administration the records of EVERY single one of their customers who traveled through, bought tickets to go to, rented cars/hotels etc. around the time of the Washington demonstrations.  They said they are just cooperating with an ongoing investigation.  Watch for the suits to follow because word got out and a lot of folks are up in arms...

BUT, even if you buy an 80% lower/frame from another party for cash, somewhere there is a record of it leaving the manufacturing facility to be delivered to someone, and if anyone thinks that under duress from the government they won't say who they sold it to they're living in Wonderland.

So unless you're buying from shady street guys on a corner, paying in cash for stuff delivered in little brown bags you are not flying under the radar, and even those are probably under police surveillance anyway.

That's why it's so important to comply with all laws and then decide how to deal with the consequences should they come down the line.  They are NOT going to come after the 10s of MILLIONS (and growing by the day) of legal AR and high cap pistol owners in this country.  No ONE, not even Harris is THAT stupid...  

Well AOC is but we have years before we need to worry about that twit...
    knitepoet said:

If you buy anything on gunbroker, there is a digital trail.  I wonder how many buyers know that.
    If you buy ANYWHERE there is a digital trail and all they need to do is follow up until it ends and then "push" for human intel.
    GunNut said:
    Besides not being “registered”, is there any advantage to those frames?  Strength, quality, features?  I can’t imagine that one of those aftermarket or 80% frames has Glock OEM frames beat in any particular category, or am I wrong?   I have done ZERO research on the subject.
    I have a 80% lower I machined three years ago to make a G19. I got a complete slide and barrel locally from a pistol with destroyed lower; friend's Rottweiler found a new chew toy and I got it cheap. Bought lower parts kit online from Midway. Forget who I bought 80% frame from. Works fine, but it would be easy to screw up during the machining process; I took my sweet time doing that and got it right. Shoots adequately to accuracy and no FTE or FTF issues. 

Are the 80% lowers superior to OEM? HELL NO! But they DO work if care is taken in machining and assembly. I've seen some 80% Glock clone lowers and AR lowers, and some 1911 lowers, that looked like a demented beaver gnawed them out and you couldn't pay me to fire them. You only get ONE chance to do it right and a drill press and wood router ain't precision machining tools.
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited February 2021 #13
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:
    I have a 80% lower I machined three years ago to make a G19. I got a complete slide and barrel locally from a pistol with destroyed lower; friend's Rottweiler found a new chew toy and I got it cheap. Bought lower parts kit online from Midway. Forget who I bought 80% frame from. Works fine, but it would be easy to screw up during the machining process; I took my sweet time doing that and got it right. Shoots adequately to accuracy and no FTE or FTF issues. 

Are the 80% lowers superior to OEM? HELL NO! But they DO work if care is taken in machining and assembly. I've seen some 80% Glock clone lowers and AR lowers, and some 1911 lowers, that looked like a demented beaver gnawed them out and you couldn't pay me to fire them. You only get ONE chance to do it right and a drill press and wood router ain't precision machining tools.
    Ok, so that truly answers my question,  there really is no advantage over a factory Glock to spend the effort to bake your own cake except the "hope" that no one notices you have a pseudo Glock that you built yourself OR the challenge to DIY.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    About the only thing I've heard where non-Glock Glocks are supposedly better than Glock Glocks are that some folks prefer the grip angle/handling characteristics of the non-Glock Glocks. Which is, of course, completely subjective and which gen of Glock Glocks is it being compared to?
    But non-Glock Glocks can be fun to build!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    I did notice a straight grip on the 80% frames I’ve seen lacking the Glock bump which has always reminded me of the old 1911 arched MSH which I hate.
    GunNut said:

GunNut said:

Ok, so that truly answers my question,  there really is no advantage over a factory Glock to spend the effort to bake your own cake except the "hope" that no one notices you have a pseudo Glock that you built yourself OR the challenge to DIY.
    The 'not being registered' is the big draw in states that require registration and FOID cards for legal ownership of firearms. It's a way to have something the state doesn't know about.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:

GunNut said:

The 'not being registered' is the big draw in states that require registration and FOID cards for legal ownership of firearms. It's a way to have something the state doesn't know about.
    There's already a big stink about "Ghost Guns" and it's sure to be headlines down the road soon.

Stories like this are the reason it'll be an issue. I'm sure the next administration will jump all over it as soon as we have another mass shooting. You folks know how it is, always blame the guns not the idiot.
    Too bad though, they're fun to build and a great learning tool/experience for new shooters to better understand what a firearm is all about.
    Sad that some folks only see weapons of violence while others, like myself, see physics principals in action.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• blazeagloryblazeaglory Posts: 3 New Member
    edited February 2021 #18
    My entire reply disappeared??

MODS CAN YOU FIND THE REPLY I MADE JUST PRIOR TO THIS ONE? IT WAS RIGHT HERE A MINUTE AGO!

Long story short, there are TWO different groups here. One group (buying the parts and driving up the price who only buy due to no background check and maybe those who just like building) and the other group (buying 3rd gen complete OEM Glocks then selling the slides online for over $500 and then selling the frame on GB for another $200 or whatever they go for, just for profit)

On a side note I got lucky and found the last supply of decent complete slides for G43! Complete for $249 roughly a year ago.

https://flic.kr/p/2kDvfrH

https://flic.kr/p/2kDvfxK
    That’s insane.  That link is for a Gen 3 Glock 23 slide/barrel for $820!!!!!!  You can pick up a police trade in for just a little more than half of that!!!!!!!!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    You could get two guns or one really nice one for that money.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• blazeagloryblazeaglory Posts: 3 New Member
    edited February 2021 #22
    Im telling you I watched them go from roughly 300$ to now over 800 if that sale actually pays! Its crazy!

So a "new" G23 slide(complete), LPK minus the blocks and a 10 round mag? I wouldn't pay more than 300-400 for all of that!