Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage 1899H

N454casullN454casull MemberPosts: 671 Senior Member
Just picked this up for $350.

Not in the best shape but not bad either. I’d call it well used. 

Savage 1899H in 22HP made in 1913. 

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    .228 bullets, hope you have a line on ammo or components.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,495 Senior Member
    Ooooo. That's a take down, too!! Have you got brass or ammo.?? It takes an odd size .228 dia. bullet!! I know there's at least one box!! Good price for what it is!!
    You can look up the ser# on this sight and it will tell you what year it was made!! Savage 1895/1899/99 Dates of Manufacture (savage99.com)
    That caliber is on my grail list!
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 671 Senior Member
    I have a line on everything needed to reload it.

I also found out a few manufacturers still produce ammunition for it under the 5.6x52R name for the European market. 
    Good deal!! RWS still makes the 5.6x52R. Brass can be made from .25-35 cases!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Its all set with the good sights already. The ammo should be fun tinkering into shape.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    Awesome find
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member
    Dang!  That’s a cool one. Nice score
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    A little more info for you! the 1899H is the lightweight takedown with 20" barrel. Only made from 1912, when the .22HP was introduced, until 1919. The round was created by Charles Newton!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,356 Senior Member
    Oh you suck more than many other that have darkened these hall! I paid $300 for my 308 F model 15 years ago. You have everything to reload for it adds insult to injury. Lyman peeps no less! You suck!

These guns haven't had TLC for a long time, a through take down, cleaning and stoning will produce enormous returns .With the old hardened grease removed and a little TLC my 99 sang a new song !
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    A little more info for you! the 1899H is the lightweight takedown with 20" barrel. Only made from 1912, when the .22HP was introduced, until 1919. The round was created by Charles Newton!
    Wow!
    Be worth the trouble to try and get some properly headstamped brass.
    Big Al1 said:
    Wow!
    Be worth the trouble to try and get some properly headstamped brass.
    I think I have a line on some 22HP head stamps. I definitely have the 5.6x52R 
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 915 Senior Member
    Nice score!
    your 22HP is in a lot better nick then mine, I believe you can make brass from 25-35 cases and around here at least the old Dominion ammo still pops up from time to time.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    I LOVE the rifle!!  Chambering......not so much. 

****!  I still want a Savage 99!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Nice! Like the looks a lot.
    Down here I've seen a bunch, most externally worn but internally as new due to lack of ammo; only a handful of 30-30 ones are still used every once in a while, and only knw one in those odd calibers still being fired by its owner who managed to scrounge a few reloading components for it, using cast bullets and a reduce load.

Took apart one some years ago for a cleaning and liked the internal magazine system and the round counter dial. Along with the Winchester 1907 and the Remington Model 8 is one of those "odd" early 20th. century sporting rifles I find quite interesting.

Range test!
    Zee said:
    I LOVE the rifle!!  Chambering......not so much. 

****!  I still want a Savage 99!!!
    Yea I’m not in love with the chambering either. But I couldn’t pass up the deal on an 1899. 

I have no use for a 22HP but then again why not it’s a cool old gun in an obsolete, cool old chambering. It will be fun to get it shooting again just for the heck of it. 
    I've got some goods deals on old guns in odd chamberings when the salesman said " He can't sell rifles if Walmart dosen't have the ammo!!" That's what I like to hear!! That's part of the fun for me! The quest to find brass/ammo or make my own cases!!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Good deal!  I love the 99 Savage in all calibers.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Very cool! 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,356 Senior Member
    Great rifle. the chambering is going to be hard to find/load Ammo it uses a .227 diameter bullet.’
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.