Home Main Category General Firearms

Singer .25ACP question

bguncbgunc Posts: 2 New Member
edited February 2021 in General Firearms #1

I inherited this gun from my grandfather a while back.  It is a Singer .25 acp, probably mfg. by Arizmendi in Spain in the 1920s.  When I test-fired it, it worked, but it took one hell of a squeeze to pull the trigger.  When I re-assembled it after cleaning and oiling, I couldn't get it to cock properly.  The firing pin went to firing position, but the trigger mechanism wouldn't line up, and wouldn't release the firing pin.  It seems to have something to do with the part pointed out in the picture, which moved the trigger mechanism down as the slide was racked.  When I reassembled the gun without this part, it cocked properly, but jammed frequently when fired.  What is is this part and what does it do?  Is it part of the safety mechanism?  The gun is missing the safety lever, which may have something to do with it.
Any Help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Looks like a Spanish copy of the Baby Browning.  Go on YouTube and search for a video in assembly/disassembly of a Baby Browning and it should give you the directions you need.  If you’re  missing anything, spare parts are fairly common on eBay including magazines and such.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    That part you have the arrow pointing to is MOST LIKELY the disconnector.  When the gun is in battery, it moves upward into a slot in the slide - probably pushed into that position by spring tension on the trigger bar.

When the slide is out of battery, the slot in the slide moves backward and the disconnector is pushed downward, in turn moving the trigger downward out of engagement with the sear, disabling the ability to fire.

This is the part that enables semi-automatic fire by enabling the mechanism to reset between shots.  Depending on how the other guts are arranged, without it, the gun either won't re-cock, or may try to run full-automatic - probably poorly, as real full-auto usually requires extra engineering mojo to time things properly.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    That part you have the arrow pointing to is MOST LIKELY the disconnector.  When the gun is in battery, it moves upward into a slot in the slide - probably pushed into that position by spring tension on the trigger bar.

When the slide is out of battery, the slot in the slide moves backward and the disconnector is pushed downward, in turn moving the trigger downward out of engagement with the sear, disabling the ability to fire.

This is the part that enables semi-automatic fire by enabling the mechanism to reset between shots.  Depending on how the other guts are arranged, without it, the gun either won't re-cock, or may try to run full-automatic - probably poorly, as real full-auto usually requires extra engineering mojo to time things properly.
    I agree with your i.d of the part. I have a .25 made in Spain (a miniature 1911, inherited from my late Mother) and the trigger disconector is in the same place/shape. The soft steel has worn out a bit  and the gun fire full auto occasionally
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    edited February 2021 #5
    I agree with Bigslug. It looks like it serves as a disconnector. They can be found on more than just a Singer (Fransisco Arizmendi's clone of a 1908 Colt Pocket Vest (hammerless), a variant of the 1905 Baby Browning)

but each clone will have a few differences so they're rarely exact copies. The Colt Pocket Vest kept all the goods internal unlike the Singer and similar clones.

While I couldn't find a schematic for your Singer, based on your photo it probably has much in common with the Rigarmi 1957, including very similar frame cutouts.

The big difference is the Rigarmi has the disconnector as part of the trigger assembly. I also noticed a few similarities between Singer and Galesi and with Bernardelli designs.
    I'll keep looking for a Singer schematic. I know it's out there.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bguncbgunc Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks to all of you for your help.  From the sounds of it I'd better not try to fire it without the disconnector in place.  Can anyone recommend a good book/tutorial on the workings of firearms
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.