Home Main Category Clubhouse

New Puppies!

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 8,890 Senior Member
Is it even possible to count the levels on which 2020 SUCKED?  On top of everything else that's been on the big national screen, my wife and I lost two of our cats, another had serious dental issues that took all his teeth, and my Mom and Dad lost four (all) of their dogs.  The last was an older shelter rescue dog that was about the sweetest thing you could imagine.  They only got to know her and give her a great home for about 10 months before cancer was confirmed a couple weeks ago and ended it.  Truly one of those cases where you try to smile because it happened instead of cry because it's over. 

Suffice to say, everybody's world got a bit rocked by all of that.  So I guess these guys are the therapy:

Dad always wanted Airedales and after the loss of the next-to-last dog (his close pal) figured it was time to research breeders.  I got invited over to their place yesterday to help advance the socializing process (We're all serious buds now :) ).  8 week old brother & sister, Jack (lying) and Bailey (standing)  The hope was the last old dog would get to help raise these guys, but timing with arrivals and departures just didn't allow for it.

There's been damn little to smile about this last year.  Being swarmed by bouncing, licking, cuddling, sleeping pups is a nice change!
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,653 Senior Member
    Twice as much chewed up furniture, rugs and shoes, looks like fun :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member
    Boy, you got your hands full now.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Very cool.  Those things grow into BIG critters.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    Well done.
    Gotta be nice having a couple of rascals around that don't give a hoot about facism and believe all lives matter because everyone can throw a ball!

That's all I got.

Paul
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,733 Senior Member
    Nothing like a couple of puppies to brighten things up...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,890 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Twice as much chewed up furniture, rugs and shoes, looks like fun :)
    Bailey already tried piercing my earlobe. . .

Not too bad.  Operating range seems to be about 50-70 pounds, so under the German Shepherd territory my folks have been working with.  Probably about right.  Mom and Dad are both 70.  Handling hyperactive can be done.  Handling a moose can be done.  Handling a hyperactive moose might be a bit problematic.   :D
    WWJMBD?

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,611 Senior Member
    Congrats
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    After I lost my last dog it took me awhile before I was ready for another but Henry turns 1 in 2 days and I enjoy him a lot. I wish I could get him broke of chewing up the toys that fedex brings. Those two look cute and I am sure will bring a lot of joy. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,372 Senior Member
    Very nice. My wife will be jealous, she has always wanted an Airedale. 
    sakodude said:
    Very nice. My wife will be jealous, she has always wanted an Airedale. 
    As the Borg would say:  "Resistance is futile"

WWJMBD?

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,733 Senior Member
    We had Airdale when I was a kid...helluva dog....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,580 Senior Member
    As Mr. Miyagi would say, "... No can defense."

Good therapy 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,847 Senior Member
    Lots of smiles in those two
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,999 Senior Member
    Outstanding!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,227 Senior Member
    Love em.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,453 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #17
    Nice dogs!  I don't have a dog and never have.  I have a chickenshit cat that lets neighborhood cats bully him.  A friend came by to fix my computer yesterday and we talked about dog. Or rather he talked about dogs. He has a min dachshund he's had for a while.  I learned that dachshund is German for "badger dog".  These dogs were bred to go in badger holes and fight badgers.  He said a dachshund can turn its head 180 degrees.

If I ever got a dog, it would be a dachshund, a full grown one.  Got to have balls to hunt a badger in the den or maybe badgers in Germany aren't as mean as they are here.

I heard Airedales were bred as ratters. Is that true?

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 524 Senior Member
    So...
    SWMBO, who has been enjoying this winter down in Florida (leaving me to keep her flock of ducks and chickens watered and fed here in Michigan, as well as care for her three geriatric Newfoundlands and two annoying cats).  She tells me on her way back to Michigan sometime around April she is planning a side trip to Iowa - to pick up an Airedale puppy...

To partner up with her wire hair fox terrier that she got a year and a half ago.  Her insane, crazy, ultra-high energy wire hair fox terrier. 

Which I can only assume that an Airedale is simply a much larger version of...

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I LOVE PUPPIES!!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 177 Member
    There are dogs and there are ornamental units. Good choice
    Will try to get more pics of them during a visit tomorrow.  Pop has been sending vids to my phone - they are growing with ASTONISHING speed - about 28 pounds now.  Probably less than 10 when I first posted.
    WWJMBD?

Not sure if the increase in size is apparent here, but:

Synchronized Snoozing:

Jack with his "Aunt" Sophie - one of Dad's old co-worker's dogs, staying over while owner on vacation:

Yeah, they're a lot of fun.  Always nice to be greeted by somebody that greets you with the bouncing slobbers. :)
    WWJMBD?

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,611 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Synchronized Snoozing:

That pic and caption made me LOL :D   
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 347 Member
    They’re cuties!  I’m a sucker for dogs, well my dog.  I miss my Australian Shepard.  I don’t know much about Airedale’s.  Largest of the terrier breed but that’s about it. 
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19