Home Main Category Hunting

Snake Season! What will you use?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 25,153 Senior Member
We are well on our way to Africa Hot and the snakes are out. Buddy of mine walked up on a 4 footer this week and I’ve seen a couple in the roads at night. Typically, I live and let live. But, on my friend’s ranch that I take care of, the rulz is they die. So.......

I picked up some CCI Snake Shot this afternoon and gave it a try. Knew it wouldn’t cycle in my G44, but I didn’t have a revolver I wanted to carry around. 

Tested the spread from a distance of 3 yards. Figured that would be the extreme distance I’d use it on a snake. 

Not enough to kill one, I don’t suppose. But, with follow up shots, probably piss him off something fierce. If not deter. 
As suspected, the gun experienced a FTE. 

With 3 yards being a likely maximum, I think any closer and oh crap distance, the round would suffice and follow up shots likely. So, I’ve loaded 4 shot cartridges in the magazine with round nose following. I figure I’ll have a better chance of dispatching myself with a round nose bullet when left to die in the desert after being bitten by a pissed off rattler with a face full of No.12 shot. 

What’s your snake poison of choice when out in snake infested territory?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,819 Senior Member
    The, otherwise USELESS IMO, Hyzer PS1 45C/2.5" .410 SS derringer I "inherited" when oldest step-son decided to get rid of his firearms.

I have a box of the CCI shot capsules for 45C and fill them with #12 shot. Tested them and a .410 shell into 10" paper plate at 1 pace (OH CRAP!!!! Range). The .410 put an approx  3-4" pattern/hole in its plate with a 2.5" load of #6 . My 45C load covered the ENTIRE plate without a big enough gap for a snake to survive.

Second choice is my Rem 1911R1 45ACP, loaded with 2 CCI shotshells followed up with 200gr RNFP with a .35" "mesplat" (As BigSlug calls the meplat)
    Even with the heavier recoil spring I installed, it still ejects and feeds the shotshells 100%
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,451 Senior Member
    Cities used to pay folks to pick up the park trash. Had a stick with a long pointed shaft at the end. Like a precision pike for snagging paper and such.

Maybe/maybe not?
    Spud hoe?
    Taurus Judge?

Ever see what Marlon Brando used for rabbits in Missouri Breaks ???
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    First round on my Mountain Gun is a snake shot cartridge.  Or I carry a snub nosed Model 60 .38 as a BUG with a snake shot round as the first shot.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,410 Senior Member
    Don't know about your snakes. Mine were 3 foot long cotton mouths and about as big around as your forearm. Vile, mean-tempered creatures.

#12 shot from a .38 Spl at 10 feet or less knocked them dead faster than I've seen most anything die. Usually they just "relaxed" with nary a twitch.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,463 Senior Member
    Probably the Charter Arms .44Spl bulldog with 2 snake shot and 3 gold dot HPs.  

Works well
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,891 Senior Member
    Shooting snakes on land works well with one of those snake rnds.

Shooting snakes swimming on the surface of a body of water in not as sure a thing as it is on land.
    Plan on a second shot as fast as you can manage.

I prefer a rnd with bigger shot than #12.
    edited March 19 #8
    I used to take a revolver loaded with 2 snake rnds followed with 4 .38 spl rnds of FMJ.
    These days I stay on the dirt road on a bicycle so I do not worry much about snakes
    and just load what ever type rnd I intend to shoot a jug with.

For example, today I loaded the moonclip with 3 - 10 mm FMJ and 3 .40 S&W HP.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,560 Senior Member
    Gonna have to dig up the recipe for loads I assembled for a coworker's S&W 19. . .

Basically amounted to:

.357 case

Light charge of fast pistol powder

Card wad

Fill case with weighed charge of #9

2 card wads.

Roll crimp

Recipe left enough of a gap at the top to fill in with about 1/16" to 1/8" of dribbled candle wax to seal.   At three yards, very much no joke.  Upscaling the concept to a .44 or .45 would be grand.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,169 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Gonna have to dig up the recipe for loads I assembled for a coworker's S&W 19. . .

Basically amounted to:

.357 case

Card wad

2 card wads.

Roll crimp

Recipe left enough of a gap at the top to fill in with about 1/16" to 1/8" of dribbled candle wax to seal.   At three yards, very much no joke.  Upscaling the concept to a .44 or .45 would be grand.

I've done exactly that with 44 mag brass and it patterns pretty well, Not an overabundance of snakes where I roam so no terminal data to relate.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,206 Senior Member
    You have a single-six? .22 Mag if yours is so equipped and then bird shot. I took some grouse this year with the J-frame and .38 bird shot, I would not mess with that Glock for snakes.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,153 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    You have a single-six? .22 Mag if yours is so equipped and then bird shot. I took some grouse this year with the J-frame and .38 bird shot, I would not mess with that Glock for snakes.
    But the holster I have for it is straight up Wild West and not practical/comfortable. So, not likely to carry that one. 
    sakodude said:
    Bigslug said:

Basically amounted to:

.357 case

Card wad

2 card wads.

Roll crimp

I've done exactly that with 44 mag brass and it patterns pretty well, Not an overabundance of snakes where I roam so no terminal data to relate.
    I just don’t have the desire to handload snake shot at this point. 
    I’d love some .38 Spl / .44 Mag / .45 Colt Snake Shot as I have a plethora of options to carry in those. Alas, that’s the one type of ammo I don’t have and can’t find. 
    NN said:
    I used to take a revolver loaded with 2 snake rnds followed with 4 .38 spl rnds of FMJ.
    These days I stay on the dirt road on a bicycle so I do not worry much about snakes

That’s an interesting combo. 

Works well
    I’d love to find some. 
    edited March 19 #16

Don't know about your snakes. Mine were 3 foot long cotton mouths and about as big around as your forearm. Vile, mean-tempered creatures.

#12 shot from a .38 Spl at 10 feet or less knocked them dead faster than I've seen most anything die. Usually they just "relaxed" with nary a twitch.

Mike
    The Western Diamondback here range for tiny 12”ers to 6+ footers. I’ve walked up on them all. And as mentioned, generally let them live after playing around with them. 
    But, my friend is adamant about them not being on his place. So........Rome and all......
    knitepoet said:
    The, otherwise USELESS IMO, Hyzer PS1 45C/2.5" .410 SS derringer I "inherited" when oldest step-son decided to get rid of his firearms.

I have a box of the CCI shot capsules for 45C and fill them with #12 shot. Tested them and a .410 shell into 10" paper plate at 1 pace (OH CRAP!!!! Range). The .410 put an approx  3-4" pattern/hole in its plate with a 2.5" load of #6 . My 45C load covered the ENTIRE plate without a big enough gap for a snake to survive.

Second choice is my Rem 1911R1 45ACP, loaded with 2 CCI shotshells followed up with 200gr RNFP with a .35" "mesplat" (As BigSlug calls the meplat)
    Even with the heavier recoil spring I installed, it still ejects and feeds the shotshells 100%
    That’s good that the feed and eject. Wish my .22lr did, but I knew going into it that they likely wouldn’t. Just one of those things ya deal with. 
    Zee said:
    NN said:

That’s an interesting combo. 
    I suppose----of course every one knows that it depends on how you set the cylinder as to which rnds fire first. There is an occasional bear seen where I go, so that causes me to have some 10 mm loaded.

Then to shoot the jug, I just have to reset the cylinder to shoot the .40 S&W rnds.

I will admit that the closest I know I have been to one of the black bears is about 90 yds and the other
    was much farther.

Zee said:

Works well
    I’d love to find some. 
    I have just a few left over from before in-stock ammo became just a rumor
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,437 Senior Member
    Ithaca Auto Burglar and that would do it

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I loaded my 4" barreled 686 with hand loaded .38 Spl #12 shot. Out to 10 feet or so every ground based cottonmouth simply slumped dead at the first shot. However, as Ned pointed out, their efficiency is severely degraded if the snake is in the water.

Mike
    N454casull
    Why does the water differ?  Less resistance beneath them on impact?
    My guess would be that most of the snake is under a thin layer of water, and that acts like armor, and robs the little flakes of lead of their energy
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zee said:
    Why does the water differ?  Less resistance beneath them on impact?
    Yep, best as I can figure. (Science not included, just my best guess). Not that they don't work on water-borne snakes, because they do, just not as dramatically. 

OTOH, The biggest rattler I've ever killed was about 5 1/2 feet long, and as big around as a large mans' calf. He was pissed off and tightly coiled. A single 12 ga charge of #4 shot entered and exited him 4 times
    (due to him being coiled up), and while he no longer had the means to fight back he kept up the attitude for a couple of minutes. I don't know how my .38 Spl "snake load" would have worked against him, but my gut feeling is pretty well. #12 shot from a .38 Spl at 10 feet is like getting hit by a swarm of bees. #4 from a 12 Ga is like getting hit by a cannonball. Pick your poison.

Bottom line....."snake shot" given normal snake ranges works a lot better than you'd expect.

Mike
    N454casull
    I’ve learned, if you don’t hit the head and hit it good.........:popcorn:..........it’s gonna be awhile. 
    The chances of me hitting a snake head with a handgun loaded with anything other than snake shot is....well....not something I'd advise you to bet on. Because I sure wouldn't. LOL!

Mike
    N454casull
    The chances of me hitting a snake head with a handgun loaded with anything other than snake shot is....well....not something I'd advise you to bet on. Because I sure wouldn't. LOL!

Mike
    Bet it would be fun to watch!!
    edited March 20 #28
    With JerryBobCo as witness, I missed a 12" rattler with 7 shots from a 9mm at four feet and the only reason I didn't miss more is because I'd achieved slide-lock. Jerry saved the day by stepping on it and cutting its head off with a Swiss Army pocket knife. It was a dark chapter in my life.

Mike
    N454casull
  • KSUFirefighter2KSUFirefighter2 Posts: 38 Member
    My hiking loadout usually consists of my .357 Dan Wesson with one round of snake shot and the rest hollow points for any two to four legged party goers. 
    edited March 20 #30
    A similar and funny story I will relate in an abridged version. 
    Training new shrubs in the early morning. The range goes hot at 0800. We are getting ready to shoot 1,200 yards as soon as Range Control calls us hot. On the left limit at 100 yards I see a tiny rabbit hopping along. The shooters have been reading wind and getting ready to fire a cold bore at 1,200 yards. This is their first week. They haven’t had synchronized fire yet. I call an ALL STOP!!  
    “Left berm!  100 yards!  50 gallon drum!  Bottom right corner!  Rabbit!!  Everyone on target!  On 2!  Call ready!”
    “1 Up, 2 Up, 3 Up..........
    ”I have control!  5......4......3......BOOM!”

A volcanic eruption of sand towered towards the sky as 10 rounds of .308 Winchester impacted the desert floor. 

With baited breath........we waited for the dust to settle and reveal the carnage. 

When out of the cloud.........a tiny rabbit emerged and hopped away. Nary a hair disturbed. 

I immediately told them they all failed and to pack their “crap”!  They had disgraced themselves and the course. 
    😁
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
    Many years ago I went camping and went to a swimming hole.  I saw a rattler in the water and took a swat at it with my 1911.  Lots of water and muck flew and ended with a snake body with a head under a leaf and a tongue flitting from under the leaf.
    I took advantage of the snakes lack of visual awareness and put one through the leaf and thus removed the head.
    I put the headless snake on the  bank and had a nice swim.
    No kidding, when we got out, the headless rattlesnake was in a "coiled to strike" pose. I took it to camp and that was the first rattlesnake I ate.
    Tastes like chicken!
    That's all I got.

Paul