Home Main Category Clubhouse

Any Hams?

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,749 Senior Member
    Aced the tech, and actually managed to pass the general as well. Didn't expect to walk out of there with a general ticket, so now I gotta study to see what that means!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,580 Senior Member
    Congrats on both 👍
    With a general license you can play on the longer bands, you know, the over the horizon bands where things really get fun (and expensive 🤣)
    Do yourself a favor and pick up an ARRL Handbook now and see all the options open to you, it'll be quite the learning experience.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Roger that!
    I *would* like to do some "Boat anchor" on longer wave lengths, and maybe even eventually try my hand at homebrew glowbug QRP. To me, that's what its all about!

I remember years ago, playing around with an AM SW receiver, and hearing the Hams on SSB. Of course, they were un-inteligable, so I got out an RF signal generator, set it next to the receiver, tuned it to the same frequency, then I could understand them. It was drifty as Hell, but it worked!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    edited February 8 #35
    That's the fun stuff right there, you'll even be able to tune into the ISS unless they deliberately scramble their signals. Lots of fun stuff on the upper and lower sidebands. You'll see, always stuff to do.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    That's the fun stuff right there, you'll even be able to tune into the ISS unless they deliberately scramble their signals. Lots of fun stuff on the upper and lower sidebands. You'll see, always stuff to do.
    Yea - I first expressed a desire to get a ham ticket when I was about 18 or so - now I'm 60! Hell, I'm even thinking about learning CW!

)O(
    Even though it's not necessary (apps and hardware will do it for you) learn CW anyway.
    It's a tradition and there's plenty of tools out there to help you learn. 👍

Spk said:
    Even though it's not necessary (apps and hardware will do it for you) learn CW anyway.
    It's a tradition and there's plenty of tools out there to help you learn. 👍
    I just found something called LCWO.net - working on my Ks and Ms now. Just the thing for glowbug QRP.

)O(
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    I'm a little late to the party Zorba.  Congratulations!!!  de KI2H

I passed Tech in 2017, General in 2018, and Extra in 2019. It is a fun hobby with lots of variety. Almost as expensive as this one.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
    Rimfire said:

I passed Tech in 2017, General in 2018, and Extra in 2019. It is a fun hobby with lots of variety. Almost as expensive as this one.
    You still using that 80 watt solar panel set up?

Spk said:
    Rimfire said:

You still using that 80 watt solar panel set up?
    Yeh.  I use it to charge the 5w QRP rig and the battery in the 20w kit. Even tho I can, I don't run the QRP rig directly off of the solar panel anymore as the DC/DC converter was causing RFI.
    During the weekend on March 20-21. On 80m listen for K4H/mobile. I'll be calling CQ as K4H as we make a big lap around Virginia for the Virginia QSO Party.

https://www.k4h.live/
    edited March 12 #43
    I have a tournament that weekend but I'll be listening.
    It'll have to be some pretty impressive bounce to reach me but I'll listen in anyway.
    Or l'll just read about it on your website.
    👍

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,783 Senior Member
    Every once in a while, Woot will run a special on the Baofeng UV-5R radio bundles of UHF-VHF handheld HAM radios for dirt cheap.  I picked up a 5 pack (similar to this one- https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-136-174MHz-400-470MHz-Flashlight-Rechargeable/dp/B01N95D413/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=baofeng&qid=1610547494&sr=8-6 ) of the radios for $99 bucks about a year ago.

The only reason I bought them was because there was a rumor that the importation was about to be banned.  It seems these radios have the capability to do some things that are against FCC regulations-  They can transmit on the FRS channels (the low powered toy walk-in talkies you can get in blister packs at Wal-Mart) at a full 5 watts and with a removable antenna- while FRS is Legally limited at .5watts and integrated antenna.  And... it can supposedly transmit on the WX weather frequencies. 

I use them to just listen to the FM radio bands in my office.  But they might be nice to have on hand if there is ever an emergency where you need mid-range comms.

In case anyone is interested, woot is running that deal on the Baofeng radios again:
    https://electronics.woot.com/plus/baofeng-radioddity-radios?utm_campaign=Daily+Digest+10+04+21&ref=eml&utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=p_3&utm_content=Subheader-B&ref_=pe_3185080_577723710

Might be handy to have radios like that for off grid mid- range comms 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    Every once in a while, Woot will run a special on the Baofeng UV-5R radio bundles of UHF-VHF handheld HAM radios for dirt cheap.  I picked up a 5 pack (similar to this one- https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-136-174MHz-400-470MHz-Flashlight-Rechargeable/dp/B01N95D413/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=baofeng&qid=1610547494&sr=8-6 ) of the radios for $99 bucks about a year ago.

The only reason I bought them was because there was a rumor that the importation was about to be banned.  It seems these radios have the capability to do some things that are against FCC regulations-  They can transmit on the FRS channels (the low powered toy walk-in talkies you can get in blister packs at Wal-Mart) at a full 5 watts and with a removable antenna- while FRS is Legally limited at .5watts and integrated antenna.  And... it can supposedly transmit on the WX weather frequencies. 

I use them to just listen to the FM radio bands in my office.  But they might be nice to have on hand if there is ever an emergency where you need mid-range comms.

In case anyone is interested, woot is running that deal on the Baofeng radios again:
    https://electronics.woot.com/plus/baofeng-radioddity-radios?utm_campaign=Daily+Digest+10+04+21&ref=eml&utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=p_3&utm_content=Subheader-B&ref_=pe_3185080_577723710

Might be handy to have radios like that for off grid mid- range comms 
    If you get these, look into getting the programming cable.
    You really need it to make them capable of HAM and other frequencies (legalities aside).
    Mostly it allows you to upload several databases from the inter web.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 177 Member
    Zorba
    A belated Congratulations on your new ticket!  I had not read through the clubhouse posts recently
    I was first licensed long long ago then expired then about 10 yrs ago got a new license. 
    Interesting thing is that many in our local club are shooting enthusiasts
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,733 Senior Member
    Oh....this isn't about ham...is it?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"