Home Main Category General Firearms

My new purchase.

JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 668 Senior Member
I dont know what got into me lately but I've had a desire for a 31 caliber remington pocket pistol (black powder) so I got online to see what was out there. I cant believe that pretty much ALL black powder guns, percussion caps, bullets, etc... is out of stock. I didnt think that would have been a panic buying option for anyone. To my surprise I found that NAA makes a cap and ball mini revolver in 22 caliber that I just had to have. Thankfully I found one NIB on gunbroker and snatched it up. It showed up yesterday and I couldn't wait to get it open like a kid on Christmas day. It comes with a bag of 100 bullets, a needle to clear out the firing nipples, loading tool, nipple wrench and some other odds and ends like a lee powder dipper. Apparently this was made for use with a particular smokeless powder but the alphabet boys told NAA they'd reclassify it as a firearm if they kept it up so they say it's black powder only. Luckily I have a can of fffg anyhow. I loaded it up and used a 2x4 as a test target and was pleasantly surprised that it went right through the thing. I also can't find my tin of #11 percussion caps and after explaining to my 10yo son what they are and what they go on, he tells me to hold on that he has an idea. He came out of his room with the round cap gun caps that resemble percussion caps so I figured why not 😆. I'll be damned if they don't work just fine. He was awful proud of his improvisation lol. I also pulled the bullet on a standard velocity 22lr and poured the power  into the cylinder and then loaded and fired it. You could tell a slight difference in what little recoil there is and it also popped right through the 2x4. This things the most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time! Shoulda got into cap and ball guns a lot longer ago but never even considered it until now. The provided bullets appear to be 22lr's that have never been loaded into brass cases before. 

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,648 Senior Member
    WARNING, IIRC those caps are corrosive. Otherwise Looks cool. I seem to recall  TennMike bought one not long before he got sick
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    Welcome back. Looks like a fun little shooter. I wonder if percussion caps require a haz-mat fee to ship? I have a few thousand and could spare a few :p
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    I remember those caps. Closest thing to a real gun I shot as a kid.  Good thinking outside the box for your boy.
    Welcome back
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,288 Senior Member
    Very Cool!

I think 31 and 32 cal BP wheel guns were the pocket carry choice of yesteryear. Those folks would have loved the size and quality of the modern rendition.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    That is a very cool toy and yes I seem to recall Mike buying one of them.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 668 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    WARNING, IIRC those caps are corrosive. Otherwise Looks cool. I seem to recall  TennMike bought one not long before he got sick
    Hell, I never even considered the thought of them being corrosive.  It's probably the potassium chlorate if I had to guess.
    edited April 10 #8
    I just remember corrosion on my cap pistol when I was a kid ;)

And a tip of the hat to your 10yo for "hooking you up"

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Diver43 said:
    I remember those caps. Closest thing to a real gun I shot as a kid.  Good thinking outside the box for your boy.
    Welcome back
    Thank you. And most people get a kick out of my boy. His age doesn't fit his intelligence. He's only 10 but thinks like an old soul. He's been testing me and his mom lately over the Easter bunny, Santa, etc... So my wife had to break it to him for basically being cornered on the subject. I asked him later that day how he's taking the news and he replied, "Well, a guy flying in the air in a sleigh with deer pretty much violates all the laws of physics anyway so I figured as much. My reaction: 🤨
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

It's ss, so corrosion shouldn't be a problem.  I'd like to hear more about this little gun.  Bullets?  Some .224 30 gr. bullets should do the trick as well.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene, stainLESS steel, can rust and/or corrode. Normally just not as bad as carbon steel.

Ask anyone who has spent a lot of time in/around salt water.

Gene L said:
    knitepoet said:

It's ss, so corrosion shouldn't be a problem.  I'd like to hear more about this little gun.  Bullets?  Some .224 30 gr. bullets should do the trick as well.
    I've not had much of an opportunity to fire it besides what I did initially. I've considered using my kinetic bullet puller to remove some of the lighter grain bullets from the plethora of 22lr that I have just because it seems that all the ammo specified for this gun is currently out of stock everywhere that I've checked so far. As for the corrosive part of using my son's caps, I've been neutralizing everything before I put it up.
    Using a kinetic bullet puller on rimfire ammunition....
    be careful

Wouldn't lead buck shot fit?
    Wouldn't lead buck shot fit?
    I'm not sure to be honest. I've yet to mic one of the bullets or the cylinder. As for the bullet puller on 22lr, I've done dumber things 😆
    I think 00 is 32 cal. Only nine in a standard length 12ga shell though.
    I think 00 is 32 cal. Only nine in a standard length 12ga shell though.
    This is a 22 caliber though. I'm sure I could use some number 4? and shave them on the way in the cylinder. 
    Ah, I was thinking 31 cal

Yea if a smaller pellet fits..
    And you could actually find a bag of them. The 2×4s would be in serious trouble.
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 398 Member
    Diver43 said:
    Welcome back
     "Well, a guy flying in the air in a sleigh with deer pretty much violates all the laws of physics anyway so I figured as much. My reaction: 🤨
    Santa is not a musician.
    That dude doesn't know any tunes.

But he does use the magic dust...
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    OK. . .I get that in the 1870's people were converting cap and ball revolvers to fire cartridges. . .

Now it's cool to go backwards???
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    OK. . .I get that in the 1870's people were converting cap and ball revolvers to fire cartridges. . .

Of course it is.  When one has all the “normal” stuff one needs the ”odd” becomes personally entertaining.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 398 Member
    Bigslug said:

What I don't get is the people who buy Cap & Ball revolvers today, and then spend the extra coin to convert those to cartridge guns.  

I enjoy casting bullets for my BP items, I enjoy nitrating paper and making paper cartridges for my BP items.  As in riding motorcycles, the Journey IS the Destination.

I also enjoy making tinder, and starting my campfires with Flint and Steel.  I enjoy archery, and processing my own game, making my own sausage and cooking over coals in Dutch Ovens.

While it may seem like 'going backwards' to some, it is fun, and a little satisfying to keep old skill sets alive.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Nifty!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    No 4 buckshot is .24".  Should do you great and cheaply.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.