Home Main Category General Firearms

Firearms trivia thread.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,568 Senior Member
    UK variant like how they have straight pull ARs now.  The AR based ones do not have any of the gas operating components and use a side charging style upper generally.  I have debated building a straight pull upper before.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,434 Senior Member
    The mini has come in burst and bolt along with the semi and full. Don't know which answer you're looking for.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,492 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    Straight pull

That’s it(according to Wikipedia)
    What was the name of the manufacture whose revolvers were designed to be used with "tround" ammunition?
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,553 Senior Member
    I believe the gun was the Gyro Jet.
    Not sure of the manufacture(r).
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,236 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #428
    Not the Gyrojet.  I had to look it up (the name) but remember when they first came out.  A really bad idea. I don't remember why they were triangular shaped...smaller cylinder?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,470 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #429
    I certainly remember (reading about) the "tround" several times - but cannot recall the company either.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,649 Senior Member
    They were triangular shaped because triangles stack better than cylinders, meaning you could pack more in the same space.  I think the guy who developed them was wanting a military contract, eventually.  
    Overkill is underrated.
    Dardick?
    Something to that effect?
    That's all I got.

Paul
    I remember reading about them in an old G&A article and just remember the name association, "Dardick Trounds".
    Another ancient G&A article was about an "experiment" that probably wouldn't fly today.  Just going by memory, a hundred or more goats were, one at a time, led into a stall and shot once in the vitals with various calibers and bullets construction and timed to see how fast they hit the floor.
    Might have been where the term "incapacitation index" came from?
    Was quite the compilation of data.
    As I recall notes were anywhere from "dead before it hit the ground" to "twitched and went back to feeding until it finally fell over".
    The study is known by the location where it was conducted. Might have been in France.
    What was the name of the study/location?
    That's all I got.

Paul
    The Strasbourg Goat tests in Strasbourg, France. Near the border with Germany.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited April 12 #435
    Spk said:
    The Strasbourg Goat tests in Strasbourg, France. Near the border with Germany.
    Yeah, after I asked the question I went and refreshed my memory.  The first thing I thought was "Z would do this stuff for free!"
    Actually, I think he does.
    ETA: Boy was I wrong . . . 611 goats shot!
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    They were going to do a similar experiment at Volk Field. I had a hanger full of goat poop  to prove it. But the goat huggers got "wind" of it and it was canceled.
    Here's a simple one.
    In the movie Death Wish 3, besides Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson) and the NYPD police Lieutenant Richard Shriker (Ed Lauter), this gun played a central character as well. Name the gun maker and caliber.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,236 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #438
    Was it the Casull? I didn't see the movie, but recall some mention of that round which at the time was the most powerful handgun round.

Edit: I realize now that Casull is a round and not a gun, and I might be wrong about that.  Paul Kersey went from a .32 long I frame to a monster in two movies.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,569 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #440
    Yes, it was the Wildey. What was the caliber?

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,594 Senior Member
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    45 loudenboomermagnum
    edited April 13 #443
    Manufactured by US Firearms corporation -- Wildey guns. Designed by Wildey J. Moore. The one used in the movie was chambered in .475 Wildey Magnum based on the .284 Winchester cartridge.

Ok, who's next? Early, you were the closest. Jump right in.

James B Gillette was a Texas Ranger. In his book about his service. He said all the Rangers purchased 1873 Winchester rifles with their own money as soon as they were able to.

Prior to the availability of that model, they were issued rifles by the service. Anyone know what rifles they were issued???
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,529 Senior Member
    There were several but I'll say the 1860 Henry
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Some Rangers likely had their own rifles of different types prior to the 73's. But Gillette said the Rangers actually issued this rifle with ammunition as well. 

The funny thing is. Hollywood actually got it right in its two movie renditions of a very good book.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    1866 Winchesters?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,594 Senior Member
    I think Jayhawker got this one 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited April 13 #449
    The two movies were True Grit.

Also mis-spelled his name last night.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,935 Senior Member
    Spencer repeaters?
    Glenn Campbell shot that turkey with too much gun.