Home Main Category General Firearms

Firearms trivia thread.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    George Laumann (SP).  going by memory here
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,378 Senior Member
    edited April 16 #513
    Gene L said:
    George Laumann (SP).  going by memory here
    Your memory is pretty good Gene.  It was Joseph Laumann from Australia in 1892.

Gene your up again
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Australia or Austria?  All those evenings of watching Forgotten Weapons and Tales of the Gun weren't wasted.

OK...next.  This firearm had a loading tool built into the stock.

Gene L said:
    Australia or Austria?  All those evenings of watching Forgotten Weapons and Tales of the Gun weren't wasted.

Gene L said:

OK
    Gene is right again
    Austrian inventor Joseph Laumann modified his 8mm repeating pistol in 1892 to use a blowback actuated self-loading mechanism. ... The pistol retained the original large cocking lever attached to the underside of the frame in front of the trigger.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I think I heard the word on C&Rsenal.  He goes on about the history of firearm development.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,937 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Diver was closest at 375k. Actually, the prop gun sold for $550k to an apparently rich collector. 😮

Diver you're up.

That’s not that bad.  The Revolver from Raiders of the Lost Arc, actually the more recognizable one which is the one used in the famous sword scene (there are two of them, the other one was the one he held in his hand and threw into the suitcase and it’s never seen again) was recently listed on GB for an opening bid of $5,000,000!  I even posted the link here when I posted the pics of the close copy I put together for my collection.

The listing is gone, not sure if that means it sold or they just took it down but I can’t find any news of its sale.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,937 Senior Member
    edited April 17 #518
    GunNut said:
    Spk said:
    Diver was closest at 375k. Actually, the prop gun sold for $550k to an apparently rich collector. 😮

Diver you're up.

That’s not that bad.  The Revolver from Raiders of the Lost Arc, actually the more recognizable one which is the one used in the famous sword scene (there are two of them, the other one was the one he held in his hand and threw into the suitcase and it’s never seen again) was recently listed on GB for an opening bid of $5,000,000!  I even posted the link here when I posted the pics of the close copy I put together for my collection.

The listing is gone, not sure if that means it sold or they just took it down but I can’t find any news of its sale.
    Oh and for what it’s worth the hat sold for £320,000!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

OK, a little more history.

What year was the first of the Ruger MK series pistols introduced?
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,437 Senior Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

Did this question get lost in the shuffle or has somebody already answered it?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    If it was answered I'm missing it somehow?
    RugerFan said:
    1949?
    Correct the MK1 was introduced in 1949, heck of a run for that series
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,437 Senior Member
    Idk why I can remember that date. 

Someone else post a question.

I was so excited that I might actually know an answer that I didn’t think about not having a question to post. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,182 Senior Member
    edited April 18 #525
    Ok, I'll throw this one out there:

This European service pistol was adopted by, and manufactured in, two different countries - one of which had initially adopted the Luger, but was unable to continue with same after a little dust-up in Europe at the time. However, the subject pistol shared bbl threading with the Luger, and could exchange bbls with it.

Name the pistol, and the countries.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,060 Senior Member
    Lahti-Finland.

I concur, Genes question was not answered!
    Ah, I should have guessed the Lahti. I think zorba has one.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,182 Senior Member
    Al got the gun - and one of the countries. What was the other country?

Yep - I have a Lahti - really cool pistol! I call it the world's first, last, and only "crew served pistol" due to its considerable weight. Fun to shoot though...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Gene L said:

Not answered yet!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Spk said:
    Gene L said:

Totally missed this one.

The most cheaply made, easy to fire from an open bolt.  M-3 Grease Gun
    Diver got it.  Technically, it was the M3A1 grease gun.
    Gene L said:
    Diver got it.  Technically, it was the M3A1 grease gun.
    Again Gene is right. Magazine loader built in and no bolt handle, just a groove to pull it back with your finger.
    Does anyone know if Tankers and Engineers are still issued them?
    I doubt they're still in inventory.  Now that pistols hold 15+ rounds. They were obsolete when we were in 68-69.
    Gene you are probable right, but some Combat Engineers had them during Desert Shield in the recovery vehicles 
    In 1968, Daisy released a rifle that the BATF made them stop manufacturing. 
    What was it called and what was special about it?
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,538 Senior Member
    V/something else and it used a caseless type of ammunition.

I got so curious I googled it.
    Cool stuff!

Someone here must have one mothballed.....
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,538 Senior Member
    If memory is correct it worked by compressing air to a point that it would become super heated and ignite the propellent  charge behind the projectile.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,060 Senior Member
    Ron's got one!!  B)
    You are all pretty much correct.
    It was a Daisy VL Rifle.
    Single shot, caseless  22 ammo that was set off with a pin size blast of air.

When the family devided my late FIL's guns.  It was left laying there. The wife was next up.  I thought it was a broken BB gun.  Looked it up and found ammo online.  It is a PITA to load, but it works and at 25 yards is accurate.
    I brought it to a SE Shoot one year but it was so slow to shoot it wasn't a hit
    Surprised you guys knew it
    Not my turn, but I hate to see this thread playing out.  Question: This WW 2 weapon could be fired without using the trigger.