Home Main Category General Firearms

Bond Arms .45/.410 Derringer Range Report

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,931 Senior Member
My friend has had a Bond Arms Derringer riding around in the glove box of his ATV for years. Used it on snakes and I’ve even grabbed it (with .410 shells) to track a deer or two as it was my only choice. 
Well, after all these years, I decided to finally pattern the 7.5 shot he carries in the gun and actually try some of my .45 Colt handloads for dispatching wounded deer or any ner-do-wellers on the ranch. 

From 6 feet, it patterns well enough to dispatch Hiss with efficient intent. Recoil isn’t bad either. 
The hot .45 Colt Handloads, on the other hand............SON OF A BISCUIT!!!  The 250gr XTP were painful with 27.5gr H110. While the POI is off a little at 5 yards, they grouped well at 966 fps. 

The 300gr WFN-GC with 25.5gr H110 @ 914 fps were just BRUTAL!  Glad I was wearing gloves with a little padding. 

POI about the same. Grouping not as good. But, that could have been the 100lb trigger or the fear of the sledge hammer about to nail my palm. 

I settled on the 250gr XTP in the top barrel with the .410 shell in the bottom barrel. 
Should work on 2, 4, or no legged critters up close. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    Nothing better than actually using something to see how it works.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Not just no, but HELL no...  Maybe as a snake solution but there is ZERO chance I'd ever try one of your .45 Colt loads on that puppy.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,288 Senior Member
    At least you wore gloves.....
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    edited April 20 #5
    I think I would just load my own .45 Colt loads. Some of those 250 XTPs moving about 850 would probably be a lot more fun to shoot. Used for dispatching wounded deer up close or for emergencies. I think it would work.
    That 250 XTP at 850 (pf of 212), at 966 (pf 241) and that 300 at 914 (pf of 274)
    As a point of comparison, standard .45 ACP ball ammo 230 at 850 (pf of 195.5).
    At roughly 22 Oz those 45 loads you're shooting are gonna hurt. 😵
    I would load a bit lighter if I had to carry the Snake Slayer.
    Thanks for the report.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,931 Senior Member
    Those were the only Colt loads I had. Now that I know the POi.........I don’t need to shoot them through that gun again. 😁
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,063 Senior Member
    Glad you put eyes on the "snake"!!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,402 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I was gonna say.... you sure yer after snakes?

I am a fan of goofy guns, but derringers just never ‘tripped my trigger’.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,863 Senior Member
    Maybe you need to try some .45 colt cowboy action loads or some .45 acp rimmed if you can find the brass.
    NN said:
    Maybe you need to try some .45 colt cowboy action loads or some .45 acp rimmed if you can find the brass.
    Would likely be more tolerable. 😁
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,402 Senior Member
    Will 45 AutoRim work in 45Colt?

cuz I have a box of that around here somewhere...
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Big Al1 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking also. I just didn't want to say it.
    Great camera work, the art needs a little help. 🤣🤣🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited April 20 #13

Not usually, rim is too thick.  But .45 Cowboy Special would be perfect for that gun.  Unfortunately brass is out of stock probably everywhere. 

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    I'd rather slam the door of an eighteen wheeler on my hand than shoot that monster.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,648 Senior Member
    I load my Heizer 45c/410 with a speer shot cap full of #12 shot, after patterning it with a 410 and not being impressed  with the pattern at "OH CRAP!! there's a snake" range.

It stores a second round in the grip and I have a LEE 200gr RFN loaded just above cowboy load in case I need something with more penetration
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    You can keep the 45 loads, but I'm darned impressed with the platform with snake loads.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited April 21 #17
    GunNut said:

Not usually, rim is too thick.  But .45 Cowboy Special would be perfect for that gun.  Unfortunately brass is out of stock probably everywhere. 

You can still get reloadable brass but it's probably gonna be range brass. Like all range brass, you'll have to do some inspecting on your own to determine how satisfactory the brass is for the job.
    From what I've seen most places are either out or pretty expensive for range brass but if you "really" need brass it's out there.

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    I got to shoot on of those a few years ago on our pheasant opening weekend. What a hoot. I shot 410 and I think 45 long colt? I would have no problem owning one for various uses. Thnx for the range report.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 668 Senior Member
    I have one of the cheap Cobra 9mm derringers. They truly do have a 35lb trigger. I also had to make titanium firing pins because the factory ones mushroomed over fairly quickly. It's not pleasant to shoot. I wouldn't choose that gun for suicide as a last option. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,724 Senior Member
    There was a 45-70 version at the LGS it was there for about 20 min. It was a used gun I wonder how many times it’s been traded off? 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    There was a 45-70 version at the LGS it was there for about 20 min. It was a used gun I wonder how many times it’s been traded off? 
    I don’t think so. 
    Elk creek said:
    That’s how I picked up my old “used” S&W .500.  It literally had TWO chambers dirty 🤣🤣🤣

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    That’s how I picked up my old “used” S&W .500.  It literally had TWO chambers dirty 🤣🤣🤣
    @Jermanator s.  500 quite a bit, and it was not half as bad as I figured.  I think @knitepoet helped use up some ammo also. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,648 Senior Member
    I think I did. It's quite a bit heavier than my 45-70 Contender, and I didn't find the recoil offensive
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited April 22 #25
    Mine was the short barreled 4” one.  Anyway I didn’t think it was that bad, but the previous owner must have...  I will say some ammo was more “offensive” than others.

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 398 Member
    Bond Arms offers a large variety of barrels for their frames, including .45 ACP.  The barrels can be shipped by themselves to one's door in the US of A, no need for an FFL transfer (assuming availability, I have not checked their website in awhile).  I have a .357 magnum / .38 special barrel for my Snake Slayer that Bond Arms gave me for free that is not unpleasant to shoot with normal factory SD loads.  Run of the mill .45 colt isn't too bad to shoot either, but I usually just keep the .45 / 410 configuration loaded with Winchester 3" PDX1 shot shells hanging in a holster on my bedstead, or with 2 1/2" #4 buckshot when I am cutting the pasture and the woodchucks beg for my attention.  When I lived in West by God Virginia, I kept it loaded with #9 bird shot to keep on hand when I was out at the woodpile (along with a long rake as a primary tool...)  

I am pleased with the quality of Bond Arms derringers, and find them handy little tools to have available for around the homestead, but I would never carry one for daily self defense purposes - the hammer action and trigger pull are not conducive for anything requiring quick reaction IMO. 

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    I agree. They are pretty stout tanks. Heavy and robust. A good tool for the perceived job while not what I’d consider a primary defensive weapon. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    Kinda seems to fail the critical acid test:

Q#1.  What is the purpose of this particular tool?

A#1. Extreme short range self defense.

Q#2.  What other tool would serve that purpose better?

A#2.  Almost anything else.

I have trouble seeing giving up the obvious benefits of "almost anything else" when exchanging felons on two legs for poisonous snakes on none.  Other than the legs, aren't they one and the same?

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 971 Senior Member
    WoW, that load is beyond "Ruger Only".   I suspect a faster powder would produce the same velocity or really close.  I have one, but I'm not trying anything that stout. Maybe some True Blue.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
    Durwood said:
    WoW, that load is beyond "Ruger Only".   I suspect a faster powder would produce the same velocity or really close.  I have one, but I'm not trying anything that stout. Maybe some True Blue.
    I made those loads for my Ruger SBH revolvers in .45 Colt. They handle them well and accurately. The Bond Arms...........:crying:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 971 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Durwood said:
    I made those loads for my Ruger SBH revolvers in .45 Colt. They handle them well and accurately. The Bond Arms...........:crying:

All I've shot through my Bond so far is just some powder puff lead loads I had lying around. They bounced off of the backstop at the range :open_mouth:

You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns: