Home Main Category General Firearms

FAL accuracy

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,070 Senior Member
Someone here, GunNut? has a FFL with a scope on it.  I'm curious as to the accuracy of this.  I had one but never scoped it.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    It’s mediocre at best.  About a 2 MOA gun so far even with good ammo.  I have not really taken the time to test extensively or do any reloading specifically for it but the way I see it it’s good enough for playing at the range.  No problem consistently ringing a torso size silhouette at 300 yards.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    That's better than most FALs, or so I've read.  They look cool, though.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    A friend of mine owned one, and he was an okay shot. A 3 lb Folgers can stood a pretty good chance of surviving 3 shots at 100 yards with irons. I'm not convinced optics would have improved the results by a meaningful amount, though. I never shot it, but the coolness factor is definately there.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Gene L said:
    That's better than most FALs, or so I've read.  They look cool, though.
    The darn thing is built like a brick outhouse and eats anything I feed it.  I think those are the main features (besides cool factor and attention on the range) that would drive someone to own one.  I was not looking for this gun, it found me, and I’m glad it did.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited April 22 #6
    Bloke on the Range talks about the British SLR.  He said it took a year to convert the metric to inch pattern, from Belgium to England.  That was with the full cooperation of the Belgian company. Also, the Brits' SLR was semi only.  IIRC.

I never grouped mine, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.  At the same time I had a CETME.  I did a function test at 100 yards with it and four rounds went into an inch, fifth round was off. It was pure luck but was witnessed, which I appreciated and gave me a reputation I didn't deserve.  I think the CETME was a better rifle, but mine had wood on the fore end and got unacceptably hot after a few round.  It was ugly, too, not like the graceful FAL.
    My particular gun is a Springfield Armory gun which was built on a Brazilian receiver patterned after the Israeli guns if I remember correctly.  It’s called a Match model and marked accordingly on the receiver but I used to own a Springfield Armory M1A “Loaded” model which had true match components and that gun was easily an MOA gun with iron sights if I did my part.  This rifle is probably a little more accurate than you average FAL but a M1A it’s not...

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,931 Senior Member
    edited April 22 #8
    I had one in the early 90s that was a 2-4 MOA gun at 100 yards with iron sights. I traded it like an idiot and have regretted it ever since. 
    I want another FAL. Don’t know if i can afford one these days. 

Probably the last of my Grail Guns. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited April 22 #9
    That's Camp Perry accuracy for an M 1A
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    Our MBR for decades. We were allowed to shoot them every once in a while when the state-sponsored civilian shooting clubs were still running, and a handful of us a bit more when helping the Army shooting teams train for inter-forces matches.
    We used original Belgian and if memory doesn't fail me even some Brazilian and Argentinian selective-fire models, being the Belgians, ever the older ones ('50s made updated from wood to plastic furniture) the most reliable and accurate. Condition was from decent to almost derelicted that needed cannibalizating some to build a handful of working rifles.

We shoot 3-positions at 220 yards, but mostly prone, no rest and using the sling. When rested in sandbags and using Chinese Norinco military fodder in the best shooters of the bunch (Properly cleaned & lubed) we could print 3-shot 2 3/4 groups at 100 yards using the open sights and all the tricks in the bag. Average rifle would do 3 to 3 1/2" at best in the same conditions. Needless to say in FA mode unless squirting short bursts and a proper shooting stance, rifle would be hard to keep inside a IDPA silhouette after the 2nd. shot. 

Haven't shot a scoped one. Dunno if it would give you a much better accuracy even with good ammo, but useful if eyesight won't allow open sights shooting anymore. Think a powered red dot sight would be a better choice for the kind of shooting these rifles were intended for.

Despite all that, would LOVE to own a semiauto one. DS Arms makes good copies from what I've heard, but not cheap at all. A truly iconic, hard-hitting, reliable & tough battle rifle that saw action in the hands of MANY armies all over the world.

PLEASE get it Gene!
    Not me!  I'm not in the market for one.
    DSA is probably the last manufacturer of new guns out there.  SA is out of the FAL business so the only other option that I know of is build your own.  Have not seen one go for under $2k for a while, even parts guns.