Home Main Category General Firearms

I caved to boredom!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 25,155 Senior Member
Ordered one of these in .45 ACP!

With a 2.5” barrel, I wanted the widest diameter that wouldn’t make me decide to throw the gun as opposed to shoot it (.45 Colt with hot loads). 

Down the road, I will order a 4.25” barrel in 9mm and .40 S&W. 

Just because. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,305 Senior Member
    I'll be interested in hearing of your exploits - and seeing your wonderful photographs of it too! I've always fought an internal battle - "this gun is so stupid" vs. "this gun is so stupid that I *have* to have one!".
    You realize that you'll have to range in a bit with this one - maybe even as close as 1,500 yards? ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,155 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I'll be interested in hearing of your exploits - and seeing your wonderful photographs of it too! I've always fought an internal battle - "this gun is so stupid" vs. "this gun is so stupid that I *have* to have one!".
    You realize that you'll have to range in a bit with this one - maybe even as close as 1,500 yards? ;)
    Let’s just assume I’ll push it until I can’t hit the target. 😁
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,454 Senior Member
    They are reputed to be of excellent quality. 

I have an image in my minds eye of 45 acp's with the translucent blue Speer gel cap full of small shot. I don't know it was actually made or I just conjured it out of the air...... I think they may have been aluminum cased?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,305 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    zorba said:
    That means somewhere around 2,000+ would be my conservative guess! ;) You know you're going to make me want one of these things...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited May 4 #6
    zorba said:
    Zee said:
    zorba said:
    That means somewhere around 2,000+ would be my conservative guess! ;) You know you're going to make me want one of these things...

Plus or minus 1,990 yards. Give or take. 

I’ve been playing with my buddies Bond Arms for years. It’s a niche gun I think you need. 
    So do I. 
    They are reputed to be of excellent quality. 

I have an image in my minds eye of 45 acp's with the translucent blue Speer gel cap full of small shot. I don't know it was actually made or I just conjured it out of the air...... I think they may have been aluminum cased?
    They DO have a good reputation. As compared to all the other Derringer manufacturers. My buddies has been reliable for what it is and we’ll made. I’ve wanted one for years. Just decided it was time. 
    A serious defensive tool?  No. A tool none the less. Yes. 

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,170 Senior Member
    edited May 4 #8
    Fired one years ago a "Davis Derringer" I think in 410, it was quite a handful. My dad had one of the High Standards 22mag Derringers and it was a lot of fun to shot. My brother ended up with it unfortunately. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,496 Senior Member
    I have been tempted many times.  Kind of thought one in .32 H&R Magnum might be nice.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    sakodude said:
    Fired one years ago a "Davis Derringer" I think in 410, it was quite a handful. My dad had one of the High Standards 22mag Derringers and it was a lot of fun to shot. My brother ended up with it unfortunately. 

I have a Davis in .32 ACP that is all but useless terminally.  Cool looking firearm I’d be better off beating you to death with.  
    There will be distance,
    penetration, and expansion testing done with this barrel. 
    I’ll use the warmer 200gr Speer GD handloads of mine to start with. 
    edited May 4 #12
    Diver43 said:
    I have been tempted many times.  Kind of thought one in .32 H&R Magnum might be nice.
    Don’t think they offer that cartridge. 

One of the cool aspects of this brand. All the offered barrels fit all the models. 

It’s interchangeable. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,496 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:

One of the cool aspects of this brand. All the offered barrels fit all the models. 

It’s interchangeable. 
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:

It’s interchangeable. 
    No they don't.  Just thought the .32 mag might be a decent middle ground of penetration and being able to hang on to it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited May 4 #14
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:

It’s interchangeable. 
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:

It’s interchangeable. 
    No they don't.  Just thought the .32 mag might be a decent middle ground of penetration and being able to hang on to it
    They DO offer them in 10mm..........and I’m sorely tempted. A handloading only endeavor, unfortunately. 

But........damn. 
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 751 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    If anyone can/will do it AND prove it, you know damn good and well it'll be Zee. Can't wait!
    zorba said:
    If anyone can/will do it AND prove it, you know damn good and well it'll be Zee. Can't wait!
    Pretty sure I’ll at least hit dirt!  😎
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,214 Senior Member
    You can keep it in your garter under your kilt :p
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    You can keep it in your garter under your kilt :p

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,394 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    There will be distance,
    penetration, and expansion testing done with this barrel. 
    I’ll use the warmer 200gr Speer GD handloads of mine to start with. 
    I'm looking forward to a snake shot test. I see these in your future.
    You know how much I enjoy those "dilly" snake drawings.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I already have the ammo. 😁
    Zee said:
    I already have the ammo. 😁
    I should have known. I'm a little slow. 😕
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Science!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,322 Senior Member
    I’ve been tempted by those a few times over the years.  The cool factor is high!  Looking forward to some hard testing!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,835 Senior Member
    Zee said:

With a 2.5” barrel, I wanted the widest diameter that wouldn’t make me decide to throw the gun as opposed to shoot it (.45 Colt with hot loads). 

Just because. 
    So let’s recap, you think Gp100 grips are silly but your buying one of these? You’re daft man! 🤣😂

looks like a fun shooter! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:

Just because. 
    So let’s recap, you think Gp100 grips are silly but your buying one of these? You’re daft man! 🤣😂

Function man......function!!  Take the grips off a GP-100 and try to shoot the gun!  I’ll hold your beer and wait. 
    Zee said:
    Science!
    Please tell me there's going to be a tiger involved 😜

Spk said:
    Zee said:
    Science!
    Please tell me there's going to be a tiger involved 😜
    How about a pig?
    Zee said:
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:

Just because. 

Function man......function!!  Take the grips off a GP-100 and try to shoot the gun!  I’ll hold your beer and wait. 
    One word “Toklat”. Give me my beer! 
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,740 Senior Member
    I will be watching this one for sure, Scheels just started carrying the Bond. I believe they are asking 299.00 for them.
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:

Just because. 

Huh?  You lost me on that one. 
    Zee said:
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:

Just because. 

Huh?  You lost me on that one. 
    The stumpy super redhawk 4” you have with the slab sided barrel. They share a grip with a GP100