Home Main Category Clubhouse

Going back to my roots...

2»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    When I'm looking at used.Jeeps and I find one with a standard transmission in it...the first thing so want to know is the age of the former owner....if they were in their 20s, it's likely had the crap driven out of it...and probably needs a new clutch...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    Wrangler w/ 4 doors = woman w/ back titties...... 
    I used to think that but the damn 4 door Jeeps have really grown on me and I'm impressed with the way they drive and handle.  I've already owned enough 2 doors to know they are totally impractical and unworkable for what I need to do with it since this is going to be my work car.  So a 4 door it has to be.
    My wife thinks 4 door Jeeps are "fake Jeeps" - but unless its something you're just going to drive on Sundays and go wheeling with, the 4 doors make a lot of sense. As in Jeep should have started making them in about 1948. 2 door Jeeps are only good for one thing - and that sure ain't hauling anything. I can actually get more into my wife's Fiat Pop than I can into my Jeep! Mine is just a toy, so the 2 door is fine, but if I needed it to do double duty, it would need to be larger. I was really looking forward to driving it to the SE shoot...
    Jeep has been making 4 door HIGHLY capable off-road vehicles for MANY years.

I would give my left testicle for a cherry one of these!

And a tricked out 2000 Cherokee Sport has always been one of my bucket list cars.

Either one of those will get you ANYWHERE you need to be.
    My best friend has this company as a client:
    https://wagonmaster.com/

They scour the globe for low mileage Wangoneers (and other cool old Jeep’s), rebuild them and sell them around the world.  My buddy tells the story of a him helping with the payment of them shipping a container full of Wagoneers to Abu Dhabi for some really rich oil magnate.

Anyway.  They exist.  FYI
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    People that aren't familiar with the old Jeep Grand Wagoneers have no idea how awesome of a vehicle those things are/we're. I once knew a guy that had a fairly large snow plow attached to his and it was still unstoppable in the snow. And they drove like a Cadillac on top of it.
    Jayhawker said:
    We had an old Wagoneer...awesome vehicle...even had a vanity plate on it that said "FISHCAR"...it got the same mileage whether you were towing with it or not...BUT...every trip we took in that thing was just a tour of Michigan gas stations...
    Yes and yes.  And while the new 4 doors don't have the class of the old ones, they certainly have the pedigree.  By the time I’m done with this one it’ll be a tasteful beast just like my old Rubicon my son took and my old Rocky Mountain edition.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Jayhawker said:
    When I'm looking at used.Jeeps and I find one with a standard transmission in it...the first thing so want to know is the age of the former owner....if they were in their 20s, it's likely had the crap driven out of it...and probably needs a new clutch...
    Yep I agree…. I’ve never had to replace a clutch on any of my vehicles.  Dad taught me right 😁

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    Wrangler w/ 4 doors = woman w/ back titties...... 
    I used to think that but the damn 4 door Jeeps have really grown on me and I'm impressed with the way they drive and handle.  I've already owned enough 2 doors to know they are totally impractical and unworkable for what I need to do with it since this is going to be my work car.  So a 4 door it has to be.
    My wife thinks 4 door Jeeps are "fake Jeeps" - but unless its something you're just going to drive on Sundays and go wheeling with, the 4 doors make a lot of sense. As in Jeep should have started making them in about 1948. 2 door Jeeps are only good for one thing - and that sure ain't hauling anything. I can actually get more into my wife's Fiat Pop than I can into my Jeep! Mine is just a toy, so the 2 door is fine, but if I needed it to do double duty, it would need to be larger. I was really looking forward to driving it to the SE shoot...
    Jeep has been making 4 door HIGHLY capable off-road vehicles for MANY years.

I would give my left testicle for a cherry one of these!

And a tricked out 2000 Cherokee Sport has always been one of my bucket list cars.

Either one of those will get you ANYWHERE you need to be.
    My best friend has this company as a client:
    https://wagonmaster.com/

They scour the globe for low mileage Wangoneers (and other cool old Jeep’s), rebuild them and sell them around the world.  My buddy tells the story of a him helping with the payment of them shipping a container full of Wagoneers to Abu Dhabi for some really rich oil magnate.

Anyway.  They exist.  FYI
    Just took a look…. I shouldn’t have 😭

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    The headquarters is like 10 minutes from my hunting lease. You come down to get one, we can go shooting or try and get an Axis
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    edited May 3 #38
    We had 3 different Cherokees in the family years ago. All bought brand new: An '88 4.0 Chief, a '90 Laredo and a '94 Laredo. All worked OK 'till they reached around 50K miles and then begun suffering from all sorts of electrical, body and engine issues. Huge headaches repairing them and eventually sold for cheap since their local reputation wasn't the best at all.
    The headquarters is like 10 minutes from my hunting lease. You come down to get one, we can go shooting or try and get an Axis
    Too rich for my blood, this Jeep I just bought is good enough for what I need.  But, I’ll take you up on the offer for the visit to go hunting.  I’m long overdue for some Texas and I have a few folks down there I’d like to spend some quality time with!  

We’ll sit in your blind, smoke some cigars, drink some scotch and if we’re attacked by an Axis deer, well…. I guess we’ll have to defend ourselves!  :D

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    edited May 4 #40
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Welcome back, brother! ;)
    I forgot to mention, it’s a stick! 😁
    But does it have a touch screen in the dash? ;) I was wondering about the transmission...
    No, but I probably will be upgrading the “radio” to something more iPhone compatible in time.  It does have some amenities like power windows and such.  Not ready to go full savage yet… 😎

It is a 5 speed and it felt good driving it around.  Have to say it all came right back even though it’s been nearly 15 years since I drove a stick.

5 speed? Are you sure? I thought all the JKs had sixes? *confused* My mother always said that you never forgot how to drive a manual regardless of how many automatics you went through.
    Oh, and what engine?
    I would expect you to of course install "Car Play" or whatever its called! ;)
    Sorry, yes 6 speed manual.  Engine is the 3.6L V6.  The one I just found has the same, interesting bumping into 2 manual transmission Jeeps in ONE week!

Anyway this is the one I'm looking into right now.  It's looking REALLY good.  Not as many goodies on it but significantly less miles and in primo shape.  I'm already shopping for accessories...

Nice! The 3.6 has a good rep. "Already shopping for accessories..." - you're as bad as I am!
    I'm guessing "Carvana"?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    But does it have a touch screen in the dash? ;) I was wondering about the transmission...
    No, but I probably will be upgrading the “radio” to something more iPhone compatible in time.  It does have some amenities like power windows and such.  Not ready to go full savage yet… 😎

It is a 5 speed and it felt good driving it around.  Have to say it all came right back even though it’s been nearly 15 years since I drove a stick.

5 speed? Are you sure? I thought all the JKs had sixes? *confused* My mother always said that you never forgot how to drive a manual regardless of how many automatics you went through.
    Oh, and what engine?
    Sorry, yes 6 speed manual.  Engine is the 3.6L V6.  The one I just found has the same, interesting bumping into 2 manual transmission Jeeps in ONE week!

Anyway this is the one I'm looking into right now.  It's looking REALLY good.  Not as many goodies on it but significantly less miles and in primo shape.  I'm already shopping for accessories...

Nice! The 3.6 has a good rep. "Already shopping for accessories..." - you're as bad as I am!
    I'm guessing "Carvana"?
    Yep, and so far I’m REALLY IMPRESSED!!!

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Oh, and what engine?

I'm guessing "Carvana"?
    I've heard/read very good things about them - they do seem to have a lock on the late model used car market. I'll be interested in hearing your experience. Are you going to have it delivered, or visit one of their "vending machines"?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited May 4 #43
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Oh, and what engine?

I'm guessing "Carvana"?
    I've heard/read very good things about them - they do seem to have a lock on the late model used car market. I'll be interested in hearing your experience. Are you going to have it delivered, or visit one of their "vending machines"?
    Delivered!  It’ll be here on Thursday by 5:00pm. 150 point check, fully serviced, guaranteed only no accident cars, car fax report, and you can drive it for 7 days and return it if not happy with anything!  Took just MINUTES to do the whole thing including contract and I NEVER had to talk to an obnoxious human telling me they had to go check with their manage, only a SUPER NICE young lady for 2 minutes AFTER the sale, asking me if I had a good experience and giving me instructions to upload the insurance card to their site.

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Oh, and what engine?

I'm guessing "Carvana"?
    Delivered!  It’ll be here on Thursday by 5:00pm. 150 point check, fully serviced, guaranteed only no accident cars, car fax report, and you can drive it for 7 days and return it if not happy with anything!  Took just MINUTES to do the whole thing including contract and I NEVER had to talk to an obnoxious human telling me they had to go check with their manage, only a SUPER NICE young lady for 2 minutes AFTER the sale, asking me if I had a good experience and giving me instructions to upload the insurance card to their site.
    Crud - I'd be chomping at the bit having to wait until Thursday! Cool beans!! Now you've got me all excited and I'm not even the one buying the damn thing! :D

zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Oh, and what engine?

I'm guessing "Carvana"?
    Crud - I'd be chomping at the bit having to wait until Thursday! Cool beans!! Now you've got me all excited and I'm not even the one buying the damn thing! :D
    Yeah it’ll be a tough couple of days, but I’ll entertain myself ordering new toys for the Jeep!  😁

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    You don't buy a Wrangler to haul stuff. You buy one to haul your ass into ungodly places.

A 4door now has the wheelbase of a truck. There are some railroad crossings around here that thing will get high centered on.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    You don't buy a Wrangler to haul stuff. You buy one to haul your ass into ungodly places.

A 4door now has the wheelbase of a truck. There are some railroad crossings around here that thing will get high centered on.....
    Unfortunately I have to haul stuff too, AND I want a Wrangler.  And when I’m done with this Jeep it won’t get stuck on railroad crossing.  It’s all good, not for everyone, but it serves MY purposes very well.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,654 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    After all, what kind of an impression does a GunNut in a Mazda leave on a class of virgin shooters :D
    There is that... 😂
    Should have gotten a Pick-em-up truck with a waterproof cover over the bed with a safe bolted to the frame.  Now that would fit the image! B)

You do know that tonneau is Algonquin for "My wife wont let me use her truck"
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    edited May 4 #49
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    After all, what kind of an impression does a GunNut in a Mazda leave on a class of virgin shooters :D
    There is that... 😂
    Should have gotten a Pick-em-up truck with a waterproof cover over the bed with a safe bolted to the frame.  Now that would fit the image! B)

You do know that tonneau is Algonquin for "My wife wont let me use her truck"
     :D:smile:

Actually the vehicle my wife was pushing for was a Ford Limited F150 LOADED with tonneau cover.  The reason?  She wouldn't have trouble getting in and out of the thing and it had air conditioned seats like HER   very nice CUV.  When you open the door the neat electric side steps extend out like her Old Navigator!  Very cool feature for extreme verticaly handicapped females.

Gorgeous truck that would have been NICE to drive around in...  But NOT what I'm looking for.

So my compromise?  I just ordered grab handles for the Jeep roll cage.  She can pull herself up like a monkey, just like she did in my old one.  Between that and the standard transmission I do NOT think she'll be asking to drive my car much.  This truck?  I would have never seen it again...

GunNut said:
    jbp-ohio said:

Unfortunately I have to haul stuff too, AND I want a Wrangler.  And when I’m done with this Jeep it won’t get stuck on railroad crossing.  It’s all good, not for everyone, but it serves MY purposes very well.
    No two Jeeps are alike - and that's the beauty of it.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    I didn't notice the year model of the Jeep mentioned, but just something to be aware of; off the top of my head, somewhere around the 2009-2012 JK models with 6-speeds they are pretty well known for transmission problems that cause them to jump out of gear unexpectedly and regularly while driving. A guy I work with has one that does it. In certain gears, he has to physically hold it in gear or it will pretty violently jump out of gear. It could be especially a very annoying problem while running off road, having to hold it in 1st or 2nd while crawling, forcing you to steer one handed all the time...

One of the reasons I've heard of is the shifter boot being too tight and being a simple fix. The other involves the shift forks. I'm not sure which it is, but there's info on the web about the shift fork problems and fixes. Again, this is all off the top of my head from when I was trying to help my buddy diagnose and fix his. He still hasn't fixed it...
    This backtracks into the last two years of the TJ as well ('05/'06), with the Mercedes 6 speed - especially as they get worn. A rebuild with updated parts fixes the problem permanently as I understand it.

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 463 Member
    Jay said:

One of the reasons I've heard of is the shifter boot being too tight and being a simple fix. 
    There is an inner and an outer boot.  The fix, done from inside the vehicle, involves a replacement inner boot and a stronger detent spring.  The fix is pretty simple, as long as you don't drop the spring down inside the transmission - that gets pretty involved if you do.  There is also a moderate risk of damaging your face if your tool of choice to install the spring slips off while you are pulling up with enough force to extend the spring onto the top hook.  I use an old-style rear drum brake spring tool that I originally bought for Toyotas back in the 80's, and run a long plastic tie strap looped through the spring to keep it from dropping into the transmission.  Once the spring is installed you just cut the strap and pull it out.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    Jay said:
    I didn't notice the year model of the Jeep mentioned, but just something to be aware of; off the top of my head, somewhere around the 2009-2012 JK models with 6-speeds they are pretty well known for transmission problems that cause them to jump out of gear unexpectedly and regularly while driving. A guy I work with has one that does it. In certain gears, he has to physically hold it in gear or it will pretty violently jump out of gear. It could be especially a very annoying problem while running off road, having to hold it in 1st or 2nd while crawling, forcing you to steer one handed all the time...

One of the reasons I've heard of is the shifter boot being too tight and being a simple fix. The other involves the shift forks. I'm not sure which it is, but there's info on the web about the shift fork problems and fixes. Again, this is all off the top of my head from when I was trying to help my buddy diagnose and fix his. He still hasn't fixed it...
    Just found out about it today and how to test for it which I will be doing as soon as it gets here.

Some_Mook said:
    Jay said:

One of the reasons I've heard of is the shifter boot being too tight and being a simple fix. 
    There is an inner and an outer boot.  The fix, done from inside the vehicle, involves a replacement inner boot and a stronger detent spring.  The fix is pretty simple, as long as you don't drop the spring down inside the transmission - that gets pretty involved if you do.  There is also a moderate risk of damaging your face if your tool of choice to install the spring slips off while you are pulling up with enough force to extend the spring onto the top hook.  I use an old-style rear drum brake spring tool that I originally bought for Toyotas back in the 80's, and run a long plastic tie strap looped through the spring to keep it from dropping into the transmission.  Once the spring is installed you just cut the strap and pull it out.
    And thanks for the research and info about my Jeep today and for making me aware of things to watch for.  Your insight is truly appreciated!!!

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 463 Member
    I looked up the bulletin for the shifter issue (should have done this yesterday instead of just going off of memory.  Your JK was built  May 17, 2012, which places it within the build date range of vehicles identified with the issue (built before May 23, 2012).  The issue was most prevalent in colder temperatures, and if yours doesn't have the issue I wouldn't get too wrapped up about it.  And if it does, there is a fix that out-of-pocket should cost less than $150.00 (the bulletin only paid 0.5hr under warranty, so I would expect most technicians to shoot for an hour customer-pay)
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    Some_Mook said:
    I looked up the bulletin for the shifter issue (should have done this yesterday instead of just going off of memory.  Your JK was built  May 17, 2012, which places it within the build date range of vehicles identified with the issue (built before May 23, 2012).  The issue was most prevalent in colder temperatures, and if yours doesn't have the issue I wouldn't get too wrapped up about it.  And if it does, there is a fix that out-of-pocket should cost less than $150.00 (the bulletin only paid 0.5hr under warranty, so I would expect most technicians to shoot for an hour customer-pay)
    Thanks!  If I catch it within the first 4 months Carvana will actually pay for it.  I LOVE these guys!!!

BTW for this of you contemplating getting a vehicle that holds it's value. REALLY well I'm going to let the cat out of the bag.  Jeeps actually increase in value as they age...  As long as you don't wreck them and keep them relatively nice.

My first Jeep was a 2000 Rubicon (IIRC) and when my son graduated Basic during his visit home he and wife jointly decided it was the perfect vehicle for HIM (I wish they had consulted me in the decision, I only found out when the flatbed came in to pick it up...) my son took the car with him to Arizona and financed the VERY SMALL amount my wife asked of him (If he had paid nothing he would have not learned about financing, accountability and responsibility) and he found out the vehicle was worth $3,000 more than what I had paid for it 2-3 years before!  Since he was brand new out of AF Basic Training he was just building his credit, needless to say USAA approved his loan in about 3 seconds.  He later sold that Jeep and made a pile of money on it, and he rode that Jeep HARD rock crawling all over the Arizona dessert!!!

My replacement to that Jeep was a 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition that I picked up with only 14,000 miles and paid $17,000 for it.  I rode the vehicle for many years both on and off-road and traded it in for my first Mazda only 5 years ago.  With all the extra mileage and age on it (I think I had North of 85,000 miles on it) I still got $17,000 as a trade-in and the dealer sold the car the NEXT DAY I traded it in.

We have a friend that we have come to our house and hand wash our cars once a month (his retirement gig that gets him out of the house and makes him play money) and he had a 2018 JK 4 door he bought for himself as a retirement present.  Needless to say he kept it in pristine shape, he loves cars.  Well I was just talking to him when I noticed he had a new ride and he told me the local dealer called him and asked if he wanted to sell his Jeep and offered him $1,000 over what HE paid new!!! and threw in a killer deal on a new Cherokee for him.  Needless today he brought the sold the car back to Jeep.

Jeep Wranglers are probably the best financial deal in cars out there...

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,402 Senior Member
    All used cars are silly priced these days, especially something well cared for as you point out.

I had a similar experience with my 2001 Wrangler. Traded it back to same used car dealer I purchased from at same value with more mileage and then bought an older 4Runner for half that amount.

The 4Runner is a better vehicle...but the Jeeps hold resale better.
    JKP said:
    All used cars are silly priced these days, especially something well cared for as you point out.

I had a similar experience with my 2001 Wrangler. Traded it back to same used car dealer I purchased from at same value with more mileage and then bought an older 4Runner for half that amount.

The 4Runner is a better vehicle...but the Jeeps hold resale better.
    All used cars have been silly priced for a few years now.  Many folks just can't see getting into new ones when a brand new top of the line Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited will set you back over $70,000 by the time you leave the lot, and a brand new top of the line pickup up truck from any of the big 3 is even higher than that.  My BIL just bought a VERY nice, but relatively basic Dodge PU and it set him back over $40,000.  That used to be Mercedes territory not too long ago.

But there are many cost effective ways to skin that cat, especially when you own your own business, but that is another topic altogether.  And the economy can't be THAT bad, I see a LOT of new trucks rolling around in these parts.

Actually 4Runners are excellent off-road vehicles and they hold their value very well too!  My next door neighbor advertised his VERY WELL USED 4Runner locally for just a few thousand dollars, trust me this car was rode HARD and put away wet many times and we used it to off-road all over my ranch many a times.  Well over 200,000 miles, rust on the side panels, caked dirt he refused to hose off.  He had FORTY freaking calls on day one and the car sold in about 1 hour.  He had to stop answering the phone it became so annoying.

Toyota dealers are known for their arrogant attitude because they know everything in the lot, new and used, will sell at sticker all day long.