Home Main Category Hunting

havent been in years.

LEO_izeithLEO_izeith Posts: 4 New Member
So, I grew up hunting in Alaska and now live in Colorado, but havent been hunting in  probably 20-25 years and never in CO. My wife recently decided she wants to start getting into hunting, so I picked me up a Weatherby Vanguard .300 winmag but im trying to decide something to get her, and I know the one I got is not the most.... shoulder friendly.  I want to get her something that will definately down a deer and Elk. Also in the next probably 2 years we plan to head back up to AK, and might put in some tags for up there so Possibly Caribou, or Moose on the Menu within a decent timeframe. My wife is completely new to hunting, and relatively new to rifles. She has shot pistols quite a bit. I was thinking something along the .243, .270 caliber but not sure if that is 2 small to really last her. I do know people hunt with them even in AK. but would it be accurate/powerful enough for someone who is kind of a novice marksman? I was told about a sig rifle with interchangable barrels so thats a thought. I also already own a couple 30-06 rifles, one being a weatherby vanguard. How do you think she might fare with that one?

Well that was Question 1. 

Question 2 is easier lol. I am looking for some decent scopes for the .300 winmag i just ordered. was looking at some Vortex scopes but not wanting to shell out 2k at this time.. so looking for something which will get the job done at about the 500.00-700.00 price range. Any suggestions? will probably need a scope for whatever I end up getting for her as well. 

Thanks for taking the time to read all this!
-LEO_izeith 

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,739 Senior Member
    I think the 06 is golden if the rifle is the right weight and size for her. Loads can be taylored. Even factory ammo. 

Welcome to Colorado. The land of disintegration, extreme congestion, and total insanity. May the force be with you.....
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,287 Senior Member
    All my hunting in Colorado has been done with a 30-06, never felt under gunned.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    edited April 24 #4
    The .30-06 will do all you mentioned granted the recoil is not above her tolerance. I would consider getting the gun threaded for a muzzle brake (of which I am a big fan) or starting her with some factory reduced loaded to start her off with and build her up to full bore ammo for the larger critters. The reduced factory loads will work perfectly for medium game like deer and antelope. 
    Scope wise, I’ve really liked the Vortex Diamondback Tactical line. They are FFP with ample power range, clear glass, side focus, lifetime warranty, for $350 and I shoot some high dollar scopes that are provided me above my pay grade. 
    I’ve bought two of the Vortex and for sub 800 yards, I’ve been very pleased. 

On a side note, haven’t you posted a similar question here before about this general concept?  Sounds familiar. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    So yes.  You posted a similar thread before. 

Some further interaction, after folks take the time to actually answer the questions you asked..........helps with the conversation and the tailoring of the information you present. 

In other words, if you ask a question and get resulting answers, your further interaction aids in the trust and sharing to better your experience and future here with people who have the same passion and hobbies. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LEO_izeithLEO_izeith Posts: 4 New Member
    Zee said:
    The .30-06 will do all you mentioned granted the recoil is not above her tolerance. I would consider getting the gun threaded for a muzzle brake (of which I am a big fan) or starting her with some factory reduced loaded to start her off with and build her up to full bore ammo for the larger critters. The reduced factory loads will work perfectly for medium game like deer and antelope. 
    Scope wise, I’ve really liked the Vortex Diamondback Tactical line. They are FFP with ample power range, clear glass, side focus, lifetime warranty, for $350 and I shoot some high dollar scopes that are provided me above my pay grade. 
    I’ve bought two of the Vortex and for sub 800 yards, I’ve been very pleased. 

On a side note, haven’t you posted a similar question here before about this general concept?  Sounds familiar. 
    I hope this is how you reply to a specific post, because i'm pretty new here and trying to figure all this out. Yeah I had posted a similar thread I guess, but never asked about any scope information before. as for the rifle, I am really wanted to bore down specifically on what to get her. I had her testing some rifles out last night that I recently inherited, including the Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 and a Remington model 700 30-06, The issue with both seems to be the length of the stock she cannot hold the rifle up in the shoulder area and move her head far enough forward to unfog the black around the scope picture. Any suggestions for rifles with maybe a shorter or adjustable stock? We are going to be going after an Elk this Nov. probably the only thing we will try to shoot this year maybe but whatever rifle I get her has to be capable of that at least. 
  • LEO_izeithLEO_izeith Posts: 4 New Member
    I think the 06 is golden if the rifle is the right weight and size for her. Loads can be taylored. Even factory ammo. 

Welcome to Colorado. The land of disintegration, extreme congestion, and total insanity. May the force be with you.....
    yeah I dont think the rifle is the right weight or size, (the one I have anyway) she was having a really hard time holding it and being able to place the stock in the correct spot and still be able to look through the scope. I am thinking I need to find something with a shorter stock. ideas? Also love the SW reference too as both of us were pretty big fans, pre Disney.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,088 Senior Member
    1. The 06 is a very versatile cartridge. Factory reduced recoil loads readily available. The 06 has ammo available to handle any game on this continent. 

2. I would look at modifying the Remington 700. It is the 350 Chevy engine of the rifle world, if you can do it it's been done and anything you could want is available at a good price. There are a number of quality stocks available for a fair price. A little research will give you many options. BTW a quality recoil will help a lot. Communicate with the manufactures about her height and build and they'll get you what you need. 

3. You can never go wrong with a Leupold. Quality glass with an unconditional life time guarantee.

4. If you have two 06's you'll only need one cartridge when your hunting and thus avoid any mistake of loading a 30-06 in a 300 Win Mag.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,739 Senior Member
    You're going to need a short LOP for November too in order to compensate for the coat.

I'd look for a youth or cheap stock for the Remington. Likely easier to find than the Vanguard. Then cut the butt to length and bed the rifled action. If glass bedding is intimidating, just make the reciever tight and free float the barrel. Easy to do. Folks here can guide you. There's also youtube.

In the meantime if your pockets are a jingle. Look for youth rifles. I think .24 cal is the legal minimum here for elk. If you go small on cartridge, go big on premium ammo loaded with a good bullet.

Get her some good duds and boots. Hunting is no fun when yer cold.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I second, or third or whatever, the 30-06 recommendation, but there's other options, including the forum favorite .270.  All things considered, it's a matter of shot placement more than anything, and the .270 has slightly less recoil than the 06.  Picking something that your wife shoots well is more important that the chambering, in my humble opinion.

Also, don't overlook the 7mm Remington Magnum.  There are commercially produced reduced recoil loads available, and one can always install a muzzle brake if needed.

If you head east of I25 and start knocking on doors, you can probably find someone who will let you hunt antelope for nothing.  There used to be a lot of them in unit 121, but the population is in decline, last I checked.  However, it may be on the upswing, and they're a whole lot of fun to hunt.  It would be a good way to break a newbie in to hunting, and anything from a .243 up is enough gun.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    edited May 9 #11
    I believe I said the same thing in the last post.

Get her a Weatherby Camila in 7-08 or 308. It'll kill anything that walks in this state.  308 is easier to come by these days. Good luck trying to find reduced recoil anything right now or in the near future.  Take the path of least resistance here.

The Camila is designed FOR women,  not just a shortened stock. Get a scope with lots of eye relief to make fitting the gun easier and more comfortable,  hard to beat Leupold for that. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.