Home Main Category Hunting

Shooting running rabbits with a .22LR.............

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

When I hunted rabbits in Australia back in the early 1950s my uncle advised me not to try shooting a running rabbit. He said that it was a waste of ammunition as they are difficult to hit with a bullet. This advice was timely because right after WWII .22 rimfire ammo was as scarce as hens teeth so you certainly didn't want to be wasting ammo trying to hit a running rabbit.

By about 1951/52 the ammo situation was improving but my Uncle's advice was still there in my head. Understandably so too because of the not too long past depression. The memory of which was still fresh in people's minds then. In my case being born in 1935 I was picking up being frugal by osmosis from the adults in our family and it was another reason to not waste bullets.

Fast forward to 1980 and I was still a sitting rabbit hunter because I didn't want to waste ammo. Hey! but wait a minute, there was no scarcity of .22 ammo by then and yet I was still being 'careful' about not wasting any. It was a hunting buddy who got me to see the light. He was using a semi-auto ,22 rifle and shooting rabbits on the run.

I happened to mention that he was wasting ammo in doing so until he pointed out that .22 LR ammo at that time cost 1 cent a round. Yes, that was all it cost in California in 1980 just one cent a round. Heck! that's nothing I realized, so I started shooting at running rabbits myself and to hell with the cost which was negligible by comparison to other expenses.

My friend Joe was quite adept at hitting rabbits on the run which usually he accomplished by the 3rd or 4th round from his Browning rifle. I had just gotten hold of a Gevarm model E1 which is a French made semi-auto clip fed .22 cal. rifle which I then began using. It did not take me long to become as proficient as my friend and pretty soon I was bowling the buggers over as regular as he was too.

Bazzaloo.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,746 Senior Member
    edited May 10 #2
    I hit one on the run once with Ruger22/45 target pistol. Took three shots and the first hit a fore leg. 

Another time I missed a coyote twice with a scoped 22mag. I was close enough to turn the dog 180° for the second miss.

I have yet to come anywhere near a jack rabbit. They're very fast, and I'm mediocre at best. Enough time in the field afforded me an occasional moment though.
  • BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Hey! Earlyagain, all it takes is practice,...... Lots of practice....................Ha,ha!

Bazzaloo.