Home Main Category Clubhouse

Playing with my new camera lens.. Meet "Snowflake"

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,377 Senior Member
This cat "appeared" in our backyard back in December. She was so friendly and loving, we decided to let her stay as our outside cat.

Got a new 18-300mm lens for my Nikon D5000, and it's a gorgeous day outside, so I decided Snowflake would have "model" duties while I played with it.

and, when she got tired of modeling for me, she started telling me about it

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,836 Senior Member
    OMG!
    I had a GF when I was young that had a white cat like that. Slept under the blanket and made my skin itch.

Crystal clear pic. I don't know why I was expecting a real snow flake. You don't get those in May.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,534 Senior Member
    Great cat! And I know cats.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Nice pics, Paul.  I saw your post on fb with these pics.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,377 Senior Member
    Thanks
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 632 Senior Member

I was wondering if you could give me Snowflake's phone number....

..This friend of mine saw her picture and was quite interested in contact her..
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Not a cat fan, but that’s a cute one. Wife is REALLY allergic to them so we’ll never own one...
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 504 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Not a cat fan, but that’s a cute one. Wife is REALLY allergic to them so we’ll never own one...
    Humans may have cats sharing their households with them, but I don't think ANYBODY OWNS a cat.

A dog will lay on your grave, a cat will eat the corpse.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,666 Senior Member
    Nice pix! Nice cat! Obviously, a nice lens!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    edited May 16 #10
    Lonewolf-Peru said:
    I was wondering if you could give me Snowflake's phone number.....This friend of mine saw her picture and was quite interested in contact her..
    Sure, but he won't be interested when he finds out she's been fixed. Is a good looking cat though <3

Some_Mook said:
    Humans may have cats sharing their households with them, but I don't think ANYBODY OWNS a cat.

If you'll notice, nowhere did I say we "owned" her :D 

Dogs have "owners", cats have "staff"

zorba said:
    Nice pix! Nice cat! Obviously, a nice lens!
    Thank you. I'm pleased with it so far

knitepoet said:
    Lonewolf-Peru said:
    I was wondering if you could give me Snowflake's phone number.....This friend of mine saw her picture and was quite interested in contact her..
    Sure, but he won't be interested when he finds out she's been fixed. Is a good looking cat though 

He has been fixed too, but he still can enjoy the company of a fine looking lady
    edited May 16 #12
    LOL, fair enough. She seems fairly friendly with other cats. My indoor cat "Lucky", not so much. That's why Snowflake remains an outdoor cat

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,836 Senior Member
    That white cat from so many years ago was an outside cat too. Ginger colored cat lives here. He showed up at the door one day. He's an outside cat. 

New lense aughta sort the deer good enough for names.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,796 Senior Member
    Wife and I adopted white brother & sister kittens from our vet about three years back.  The girl as deaf as a post and the boy not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but some of the sweetest temperament you'll ever find. 

Tritium green eyes on the boy and electric blue eyes on the girl.  Due to that glowing "radioactive" appearance, we named them Geiger (counter) and Marie (Curie).
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 504 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

Some_Mook said:

If you'll notice, nowhere did I say we "owned" her :D 

Dogs have "owners", cats have "staff"

Paul, I was quoting Enzo, who said he and his wife "will never OWN one"
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    Our "new" cat (been here a year now) is clumsy as hell. Falls off the bed, which is pretty funny. But, she also falls over while sleeping on the floor. I've never seen anything like it.

Mike
    N454casull
    Some_Mook said:
    Paul, I was quoting Enzo, who said he and his wife "will never OWN one"
    I know :beer: Just wanted to throw out my "owner/staff" line :D   

edited May 22 #18
    Well, Snowflake might LOOK like a dainty little girl, but she ain't.
    My evening routine involves sitting out on the front porch, in my rocking chair, petting her for a while when I get home from work.
    She gets down after a while, grabs a couple of bites of food and raises up on occasion for my affection.

Tonight, she wandered off the end of the porch, I didn't think anything about it. Heard something climbing back up, figured it was her, but looked anyway. About a 15# RACC.O.O.N had got up on the rail. Next thing I see is a 7.5# white "bullet"  shooting up from the ground (~4feet) to the rail and hitting the "trash panda" running it off

I honestly feel she was trying to protect me (her human)

Have recently seen a couple of "trash pandas" during daylight, so I am thinking they're possibly rabid.

Current plan is to bring snowflake in, and lock her in the front bedroom and set 4 traps tomorrow night. Wife heard something scratching on the back door last night and thought it was snowflake, so she opened the door and it was a trash panda. So somethings gotta give. Snowflake's proven she can't be trusted to not go into the live traps, and some of what's going out tomorrow are bridgers, which could kill her.

So, she becomes and indoor cat for a night tomorrow

FYI, her heroics earned her some canned tuna tonight <3

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,544 Senior Member
    A self launching tactical throw cat!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Which mode was the warhead set to?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Trash pandas suck. Period.

Mike
    N454casull
    edited May 22 #22
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I prefer, "Ballistic kitty"

zorba said:
    Which mode was the warhead set to?
    I would say "kill" or "airburst"

Trash pandas suck. Period.

Mike
    Yes they do

The Israelis have the Iron Dome for defense , and you have the Steel Kitty
    The Israelis have the Iron Dome for defense , and you have the Steel Kitty
    LOL

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,796 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    LOL, fair enough. She seems fairly friendly with other cats. My indoor cat "Lucky", not so much. That's why Snowflake remains an outdoor cat
    Worth letting them chat while she's in.  IME, they USUALLY settle in to tolerate each other after a long supervised weekend during which they learn they aren't competing for food and cuddles.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited May 22 #26
    Bigslug said:

Worth letting them chat while she's in.  IME, they USUALLY settle in to tolerate each other after a long supervised weekend during which they learn they aren't competing for food and cuddles.
    As long as they don't became "too friendly"...

...her "self appointed Long-distance boyfriend" would become awfully jealous 

We had a pair of cats that detested each other for a couple of years, always spitting, hissing, and snarling at each other. Until about 0600 one Sunday morning. A forensic examination revealed that apparently one kitty was in the covered kitty box, and the other one walked in on top.
    The resultant caterwauling and yowling woke everybody up. All I saw was a squalling tire-shaped blur going round and round that literally bounced off of every wall in the house - no amount of yelling did a damn thing to stop the brouhaha. I finally threw a glass of water on them. After that, they tolerated each other and even were semi-friendly from time to time.

)O(