Home Main Category Hunting

Second roe deer for spring season

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 333 Member
It took me almost six years to get a roe deer with antlers this big. Today I got lucky.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,868 Senior Member
    Good for you!
    Persistence paid off.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,746 Senior Member
    Nice looking animal. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,957 Senior Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Congratulations.  You are doing quite well 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    You are the king of tease!  Details, man!  Details!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,780 Senior Member
    That’s a good looking buck!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 333 Member
    You are the king of tease!  Details, man!  Details!
    😁

I went out to my spot at 8 p.m as I knew that deer will come, if they come between 9 p.m and 11 p.m. It was a beautiful although a bit cloudy evening. Which suited greatly to me as the Sun is setting here at the moment around 10.20 p.m and it would shine straight into my eyes from the direction where the deer move.

As the clock turned into 9.30 p.m I saw a deer inside the last yer’s dead reeds. Saw the antlers too but unfortunately it was just a very faint silhoutte I could tell for sure where were it’s vital area. Just followed with my eyes as it disappeared deeper into reeds.

At 10 p.m. the world went silent. All the birds in the forest stopped their mating singing as the Sun started to slowly sink behind the trees. At 10.05 p.m I heard steps coming closer inside the dry reeds as they snapped under the steps. Will it be a white tail? (Can’t shoot ’em at this time of the year) will it be a roe cow (can’t shoot…) or will it be roe buck?

Suddenly roe buck appeared into clear from the reeds. Looking it’s surroundings carefully. I slowly raised my rifle into shooting position with my sore shoulder. I was using Primos Trigger’s tripod as my support and the distant was about 55 yards. So it will be an easy shot unless the roe sees me.
    I put the red dot in cross hairs over the buck’s shoulder. Getting ready for the recoil allthough it didn’t feel too painfull a week ago as I shot my first spring buck. 
    Bark comes out of my Stalon suppressor as the 150gr GMX leaves the barrel at a claimed 3080fps. I hear a loud ”thud” as the bullet hits the front shoulder. 
    Buck jumps and kicks high in the air and collapses on the ground as it falls from the skies.

I walked to the buck and saw a thumb sized exit hole behind the opposite side’s shoulder.

I took the buck home and skinned it. A huge 2” exit hole was otherwise very tidy and clean. These Hornady’s seem to work just like Barnes bullets. After just two kill I’m starting to like these Superformance loads.

Today I cut the deer and saw the damage in shoulder bone. Very clean yet effective damage.

I’m very satisfied as after five years of trying I finally got a decent sized roe antlers.
    I have shot all kind of big game and roe bucks with smaller antlers but this size of antlers have been avoiding me. 

-William Blake-
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,746 Senior Member
    edited May 23 #9
    Good job to get on him without being spotted at that distance.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,449 Senior Member
    Meat looks pretty lean this time of year, how does it taste in the spring, any odd flavor from the winter browsing? Good hunt and shooting there hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,868 Senior Member
    Thank you for the details
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,449 Senior Member

Sauna wood pile looks quite a bit lower since I last saw this view of your garage ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 333 Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

Sauna wood pile looks quite a bit lower since I last saw this view of your garage ;)
    Yeah! It should be topped up again at this time of the year but due to my f**ked up shoulder I couldn’t fell any trees from the forest this spring. Bummer.
    -William Blake-
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Good hunt and beautiful specimen!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Great hunt!  Kudos for getting out there even when injured.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov