60 Years ago

Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru MemberPosts: 632 Senior Member
edited May 15 in Clubhouse #1
When guns were not a taboo..
...published in Archie comic, feb 1961

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,836 Senior Member
    They knew how to rough it back then.

When you turned on the tv. It had more guns per minute than a military arsenal. 

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 632 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #3

When you turned on the tv. It had more guns per minute than a military arsenal. 

...just the cartoons showed quite a lot of guns

Huckleberry hound fighting two wolves with his gun was one of my favorites

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #4
    "Automatic Shotguns" and camping generators? I was a fan of Archie comics and never saw that one.
    All of the anti-gun hysteria is because of communist propaganda.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
     I was a fan of Archie comics and never saw that one.

Have you seen the one were Archie's dad saved Verónica from a rattlesnake with a single shot from a Peacemaker ? (Published in the 80's)
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    Have you seen the one were Archie's dad saved Verónica from a rattlesnake with a single shot from a Peacemaker ? (Published in the 80's)
    No, my experience with Archie Comics was the late 50's and early '60's.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Channel Selector?!?!? 🤣
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 504 Senior Member
    My parents had two channel selectors for their TV.

Me and my sister.

When I was 4, I was a passenger on a cousin's motorcycle and he dropped the bike on a gravel driveway apron.  I wasn't putting any weight on my leg for several hours in spite of my parents insisting that I was not really hurt.

When I was told to go change the channel on the TV and I crawled over to do it, they figured maybe it was worth a trip to the ER.  Green-stick fracture of the Tibia.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,002 Senior Member
    edited May 16 #9
    GunNut said:
    Channel Selector?!?!? 🤣
    Gee----I remember when we got a TV with one of those------I think it was the same year our 
    telephone exchange moved up to dial telephones.
    Some time in the early 60s.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Nationalistic/commie dictatorship and 2 pinko presidents left us stuck in the early '60s until the early '90s. Imported remote-controlled color TVs were a strange luxury for most (even prohibited for a while), along with tons of stuff back then you gave for granted like 24-hour electric & water service, properly working phones, cars with more modern than 1950s technology, clothing from popular brands, etc. etc. Back then traveling to the US was literally a trip to another world!

Friend of mine used a long bamboo stick with a slot carved on the tip as channel changer for his 14" b&w national-production TV; turned it around and used a drilled hole in the other end to set the volume. "Sleep" mode? he had a string tied to the TV's electrig plug and to his ankle, so as soon as he fell asleep, in the 1st. roll around, he pulled the string and off went the power.
    Antonio said:
    Friend of mine used a long bamboo stick with a slot carved on the tip as channel changer for his 14" b&w national-production TV; turned it around and used a drilled hole in the other end to set the volume. "Sleep" mode? he had a string tied to the TV's electrig plug and to his ankle, so as soon as he fell asleep, in the 1st. roll around, he pulled the string and off went the power.
    I didn't know you were friend of Fred Flintstone.   :D
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I remember the first TV with an actual remote control my father got, the first one in the neighborhood as a matter of fact and everyone came to our house to check it out.  The remote was a huge box with ONE button on it and every time you pressed it it jumped to the next channel.  We only had channels 2,4 and 11 at that point, not even any VHF ones.  Volume and ON/OFF were still a manual affair.

We did have rotary dial phones but we were on a "party line" with the house behind us.  Cause a LOT of tension between the two households when my mom found out the next door lady was listening in on our calls.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I sure remember party lines and rotary dial phones.  We only had one other family on our party line, and they were close friends.  To call them, or for them to call us, you had to dial a specific number, and phone(s) for both parties would ring.  When the phone quit ringing, you could pick it up and be connected to the other person on your party line.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    GunNut said:
    I remember the first TV with an actual remote control my father got, the first one in the neighborhood as a matter of fact and everyone came to our house to check it out.  The remote was a huge box with ONE button on it and every time you pressed it it jumped to the next channel.  We only had channels 2,4 and 11 at that point, not even any VHF ones.  Volume and ON/OFF were still a manual affair.

Maternal grandad had the same remote system in the mid-70s and a little later upgraded his bedroom TV to one with a "complete" remote that looked as something out of a Buck Rogers movie, with big chromed buttons for changing channels and an orange plastic one to turn it on/off.

Back in the late '50s he also bought in the US one of the 1st. TV sets to be imported here. When the huge (by modern standards) gizmo arrived he installed it in the living room and despite there were no TV stations transmissons yet, people came to his house just to look at it in awe! The thing will be turned on to show nothing but amuse the lunch guests every Sunday for at least a year until in 1958 the first local commercial broadcasting begun
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,524 Senior Member
    edited May 25 #15
    GunNut said:

We did have rotary dial phones but we were on a "party line" with the house behind us.  Cause a LOT of tension between the two households when my mom found out the next door lady was listening in on our calls.
    I kid you not....upon moving to rural northeast Louisiana in 1966 we had a party line with 7 other neighbors. We were lucky....our ring was one long ring. How our neighbors with ring sequences like "2 short, 1 long, 1 short, 3 long" figured it out is beyond me.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Until the early '90s (Not 1890s, the 1990s!!!) the only phone service was state-provided and it was so deffective that a beach town just 30 (Yes, THIRTY) miles from the capital had only 2 private phone lines (2 others were at the townhall and the police station) that were connected to a small electromechanic console ran by an operator.
    One of them was at the Yacht Club and when you needed to call someone in the city you had to write the phone number and name of the other person in a small ticket and hand it to the front desk phone that had no dialing rotary disk. Then you went back to the beach, pool or bar and after some minutes (10-15 usually) back came a waiter with a silver plate carrying a small slip of paper saying "Mr. _______ your call is ready". So you went back, entered a wood phone cabin, raised the phone and waited to the operator to connect your call while hearing her asking for the one you wanted to talk to and switching the plugs in the board to pass the call.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,750 Senior Member
    ^^ Ma Bell sure has come a long ways^^
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,661 Senior Member
    We had a 4 family party line when I was very small, but I don't remember it. I do remember when they installed the multi-line cable up our little valley though. We had a white wall phone in the kitchen.
    Would anyone here be surprised to learn that I was still running rotary dial phones up to about 2010?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    We had a 4 family party line when I was very small, but I don't remember it. I do remember when they installed the multi-line cable up our little valley though. We had a white wall phone in the kitchen.
    Would anyone here be surprised to learn that I was still running rotary dial phones up to about 2010?
    If you could get one, you'd still be using one now.  Why should anyone be surprise. :wink:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,661 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    If you could get one, you'd still be using one now.  Why should anyone be surprise. :wink:
    They still work fine on POTS lines - and they make "do dahs" that will enable them to work on VoIP as well. But we don't have a landline of any type anymore, they priced themselves out of the market pretty much.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(