Home Main Category Clubhouse

Meet Finn

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 1,163 Senior Member
edited June 4 in Clubhouse #1
Lost My Wirehaired Pointer a year ago, just an age thing.
However I'm a Lab man always have been and now the Pointer experiment is over and believe me I'm too old to get run off my feet for the next 5 yrs by another wirehair so............
As above. Meet Finn, at my age and if he lives an expected lifetime He will be my last.
Budding Duck dog, Wallaby dog, Fishing companion and general family hound.
At 8 weeks yesterday and 5kg

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
 Reuters, Dec 2020.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,529 Senior Member
    What a handsome pup..."Hello Finn!"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Good looking pup.  Congrats on the new family member.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,553 Senior Member
    Congrats, looks like a fine companion.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,594 Senior Member
    Fine looking pup.  He will be a great companion
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Hi Finn, you have no idea what a lucky puppy you are!!! 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    OH MY LORD! I am so jealous right now! Congrats.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,238 Senior Member
    That’s a fine looking pup. Great name!
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,163 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #9
    Thanks everyone, my dogs do have a life doing what they are meant to but also being part of our [now extended with the grandkids] family, in fact our youngest ,6 last weekend, picked him out 5 weeks ago.
    There has been a few skirmishes around the naming, but by playing the long game I've survived Goldie and more vehemently "Muffin".
    Apparently his full name his now  Finn.
     Or "Muffin Finn Puppy" depending on the age and determination of the person giving the information.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,553 Senior Member
    Muffin?
    That dog will be forever in your debt for standing up it!
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,292 Senior Member
    Excellent name, one you can get some volume on.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,896 Senior Member
    That is a fine looking dog. I like labs also, mine is just over a year old. I wish I had more time to train him but he is quite a dog as I am sure yours will be too.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 861 Senior Member
    That's one adorable puppy you have there.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 872 Senior Member
    Good looking pup, outstanding name.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 484 Member
    Great name for a great looking pup!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,988 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #16
    Great looking dog! I lost my GSP a year and a half ago. My wife insisted on another GSP but I didn't want a pup. I told her to find a rescue, she couldn't get one. As soon as one was listed it was gone. In a moment of weakness, while being harassed, I broke down and said OK. Bad mistake! She had the breeder and litter picked out already. This is our third GSP and I understand not wanting a high maintenance dog again. At least I got to pick his the name.

Our first  GSP was Heidi, we changed her name to Mujah Heidi, the terrorist. The second was Ada Al-Qaeda, we now have Ruger the Rotten. Ruger...what else could you name a male gun dog? Remmie...not! 

Finn is a great one syllable name and you won't blush when you call his name in front of your friends. 

Labs are fine dogs, great hunter/retrievers and a lot less maintenance than a German Pointer breed. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    Too cute, congrats!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • X104RFASTX104RFAST Posts: 23 New Member
    Great Dog, great name. I've been fortunate to have had two, both lived 13 yrs
    Hope you have a cage. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,981 Senior Member
    That first pic SCREAMS, "I need a cuddle"

BEAUTIFUL pup <3<3<3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,635 Senior Member
    He inspires awe:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWE! <3
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,222 Senior Member
    Yep, I agree with Bigslug. Awesome looking pup. Great choice Owen.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,348 Senior Member
    Freezer said:
    Great looking dog! I lost my GSP a year and a half ago. My wife insisted on another GSP but I didn't want a pup. I told her to find a rescue, she couldn't get one. As soon as one was listed it was gone. In a moment of weakness, while being harassed, I broke down and said OK. Bad mistake! She had the breeder and litter picked out already. This is our third GSP and I understand not wanting a high maintenance dog again. At least I got to pick his the name.

Our first  GSP was Heidi, we changed her name to Mujah Heidi, the terrorist. The second was Ada Al-Qaeda, we now have Ruger the Rotten. Ruger...what else could you name a male gun dog? Remmie...not! 

Finn is a great one syllable name and you won't blush when you call his name in front of your friends. 

Labs are fine dogs, great hunter/retrievers and a lot less maintenance than a German Pointer breed. 
    I was looking at a 'target grey' Ruger riflewhen I got two kittens. One was gray and had huge paws. Thought for sure a male.... She still stayed "Ruger".....

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,348 Senior Member
    My stepson and his fiancee just got an Australian Shepard. He's going to have his hands full........

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
    I'm intrigued by your preference in dogs.  I too had a German Wirehaired Pointer, back around 1995, and found her nearly impossible to train (hardheaded) but full of beans and with her own strong personality.  I then got a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and am completely sold on the breed as being an amazing, gifted versatile gun dog.  Fur or feathers, land or water, Cody could do it all.  The all-time best dog I've ever owned, however, was a black Labrador named Sam.  Hard-working, gifted, but great family dog that wanted to sleep on the bed with us.  IMO, Labs rule.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    Owen, I'll trade you a partially trained tactical throw cat, 7 cans of food (extra gravy), 14 pounds of non-scented litter and $200. Free shipping. In fact, I don't really have to have the dog. Send address asap.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Thanks Mike, a generous offer and I can see it pains so, however,1/2 trained or less is not acceptable and will be turned away at the border, Please advise when fully trained to  the  New Zealand SAS standard including all aspects of Health and Safety.
    Regards
    Owen.

Reuters, Dec 2020.
    Hi Vic
    Yes the Wirehair was a handfull for the first 2-3 years, then bang, he just got it, he became a wonderfull hunter, retriever and very gentle with the young grandkids for a 75lb dog.

Reuters, Dec 2020.
    edited June 14 #28
    ojr said:
    Thanks Mike, a generous offer and I can see it pains so, however,1/2 trained or less is not acceptable and will be turned away at the border, Please advise when fully trained to  the  New Zealand SAS standard including all aspects of Health and Safety.
    Regards
    Owen.

Well....she's got the tactical part down pat. Can attack any target of her choosing at any angle at any time of day or night.. She balks a bit at the "throw" part, but I've been assured that's due to my technique. I'll work on that a bit more as soon as my arm heals up.

Best regards.

Mike

PS....Our trainer opines that she may be a "Toss-Cat" or possibly a "Flop-Cat". You should be excited. The possibilities are endless.
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,470 Senior Member
    PFD said:
    Muffin?

That's Ok. I once knew of a Rott that was named "Bunny"...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,925 Senior Member
    Nice pup, hey.
    zorba said:
    PFD said:
    Muffin?

That's Ok. I once knew of a Rott that was named "Bunny"...
    My step-mother talked my Dad into a Pom. (How that happened I've not a clue.) She wanted to name it Truffles. I said, "No...that dog looks like a bear" .So "Bear" was his name for 20 years and I think that saved my Dad some degree of embarresment over the years.

Mike
    N454casull