Home Main Category Personal Defense

Shot an IDPA match today!

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
It has been a looooong time but I did Ok!  Got my jitters sorted out on stage one and then went right to fundamentals.  

Even had one clean stage!  As a smart friend once told me, shoot like you are training for real life and don’t “game it”.  I’m not going to have a top score but I also didn’t do anything stupid that would have gotten me killed in real life so it was a good practice day!

I went with two other friends and it looks like it will be a monthly thing!  Anyone else here shoot IDPA?  If you don’t you owe it to yourself to try!    Great SD practice.
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    Haven't for a long time, you know how bad the ranges down here are.
    Great fun
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,141 Senior Member
    I've shot IDPA for a number of years. I've found the fun factor all depends on the RO of the squad that I'm shooting on. Most like to have fun and make sure everything is safe. They call the procedure penaltys as they see them and all is good. Every now and then there is a real "gentleman" running the squad that nit-pics every little thing that he sees. Those afternoons are not quite as fun.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,638 Senior Member
    I used to compete in IDPA-like comps...great fun...interesting scenarios...including dragging your "wounded "150 pound "buddy" through,the stage with you after tending to his "wound"....that one generated some interesting times...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    Not since we shot together in Florida. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Yep, and that’s the day you told me not to “game” it!  Made sense then, made sense today!

Got to shoot from inside a mini-van.  Reminded me of other stuff you taught me 🤣

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,466 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Yep, and that’s the day you told me not to “game” it!  Made sense then, made sense today!

Got to shoot from inside a mini-van.  Reminded me of other stuff you taught me in the back seat of the mini-van 🤣

FIFY o:)

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

Got to shoot from inside a mini-van.  Reminded me of other stuff you taught me in the back seat of the mini-van 🤣

Well he does have those wooly legs/and feet that keep you warm at night… 😁

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,466 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

Well he does have those wooly legs/and feet that keep you warm at night… 😁
    His Grandma says he is a good kisser too ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • olivia44olivia44 Posts: 3 New Member
    Congratulations for that :smile:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    I wouldn't mind trying one sometime, but I'm not exactly Jerry Mucilek. Congrats!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    USPSA is more predominant here, but I go when I can. My private range also hosts practice matches every other week that I enjoy a lot. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    USPSA is more predominant here, but I go when I can. My private range also hosts practice matches every other week that I enjoy a lot. 
    My two friends and I have decided to set up our own monthly training session.  The best part?  One of them manages a gun store and he will be supplying our ammo!  He’s actually thinking about sponsoring a team 😁

zorba said:
    I wouldn't mind trying one sometime, but I'm not exactly Jerry Mucilek. Congrats!
    You don’t need to be.  Safety is the only concern so as long as you go through the stages safely no one cares about yiur times except you.

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 408 Member
    IMO IDPA has to many subjective rules to be fun.  We're you 50% behind cover or 48%?  Like someone said, it all depends on the RO.  USPSA rules are more cut and dry.  But again, an power hungry RO can still make your day miserable.  At least in IDPA every rules infraction isn't a Match DQ.
    BamaakII said:
    IMO IDPA has to many subjective rules to be fun.  We're you 50% behind cover or 48%?  Like someone said, it all depends on the RO.  USPSA rules are more cut and dry.  But again, an power hungry RO can still make your day miserable.  At least in IDPA every rules infraction isn't a Match DQ.
    It’s actually fun for me because I’m not competing for score (though I did beat my buddy 😁).  I use the stages as practice for real life.  Basically think of them as drills that are thrown at me instead of me designing them.

I don’t game they stages, I use cover the way I would in real life and address the targets the way I feel they need to be addressed instead of the order I’m given.  Will I ever have top score?  Probably not.  But when I finish a stage all I need to do is run it again in my mind to find the holes in my skills that I need to work on.

For example, one stage last week I had to shoot from inside the back seat of a mini van.  I’ve never been in the back set of a mini van!!!  So I kind of winged it but I learned that if I ever need to do this I need to work in a better position to address my target than the one I took so next week I’m wheeling my Jeep into the range and parking it by the berm and getting in the back seat to figure it out.  By the end of this exercise I’ll have shooting from the back seat of a car down!

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,877 Senior Member
    I figured that was a Zee statement.
    Good for you.
    I hope you continue to enjoy it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I figured that was a Zee statement.
    Good for you.
    I hope you continue to enjoy it.
    Guess who taught me to play it that way…

edited June 18 #19
    I don't disagree gun nut, but the first time you run into a power drunk RO and he gives you a stage DQ for having your pinky toe exposed, you'll feel the same way.  It is definitely more "real world" than USPSA as long as real world means following rules.
    BamaakII said:
    I don't disagree gun nut, but the first time you run into a power drunk RO and he gives you a stage DQ for having your pinky toe exposed, you'll feel the same way.  It is definitely more "real world" than USPSA as long as real world means following rules.
    So far I haven’t been exposed to anyone that ridiculous.  The clubs I’ve shot with are pretty chill and more focused on fun than anything else.

My bigger partner LGS is interested in sponsoring a “team”, using that word rather loosely.  He’ll provide shirts, ammo for practice and comp, family pricing on gear/guns we want, and pay our entry fee every month.  

The team is basically the store manager, our local hot-shot Criminal Defense attorney that’s actually a damn decent shot and a FANTASTIC!!! PRO 2A lawyer that specializes in gun cases, and myself.

We’ve decided we’ll have a tune-up day every months the week before the match, basically an excuse to slack off work for a morning and go shoot followed by a nice lunch courtesy of my current employer since I’m “working”.   

Not a bad deal!!!

Not bad at all, since IDPA revamped it's rules a few years back, I've not heard as much negativity about as I used too.  They were loosing membership like crazy for a while.  They even started some non affiliated matches back at the range I compete at.  We had one of those power drunk ROs, had one in USPSA as well who DQed me once on a gotcha stage.  I was pissed.
    BamaakII said:
    Not bad at all, since IDPA revamped it's rules a few years back, I've not heard as much negativity about as I used too.  They were loosing membership like crazy for a while.  They even started some non affiliated matches back at the range I compete at.  We had one of those power drunk ROs, had one in USPSA as well who DQed me once on a gotcha stage.  I was pissed.
    That’s nonsense!  I’ve always said there is nothing more dangerous/obnoxious than a little person that has been given a little power.  I’ve met too many instructors, ROs and SOS that fall into that category.  There is never a reason to be a dick, we’re supposed to be having useful fun!

This guy was a nationally know shooter.  He was on shooting gallery a lot as a co host holds some world records.  Said I broke the 180.  I went and looked at my target and the hole was a perfect circle, no angle to the bullet at all.  It was a stage meant to test your muzzle awareness by forcing you to come close in order to shoot at a target in line with the wall.
    BamaakII said:
    This guy was a nationally know shooter.  He was on shooting gallery a lot as a co host holds some world records.  Said I broke the 180.  I went and looked at my target and the hole was a perfect circle, no angle to the bullet at all.  It was a stage meant to test your muzzle awareness by forcing you to come close in order to shoot at a target in line with the wall.
    Weird…