Home Main Category Hunting

Back to crows again............

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

Recently I’ve been watching videos of people shooting crows with PCP air rifles and if I was in a crow rich area like they are I’d consider buying one myself but the crows around here are quite scarce.

My friend Fred, who lives in L.A. has an abundance of crows to shoot at. L.A. has had a problem with crows for many years. However, Fred lives in town. On both sides his neighbors are anti hunting and have threatened to call the cops on him for popping crows with his air rifles.

His are spring powered not PCP so they are very quiet. Because there is no way a dedicated crow hunter can be stopped killing crows he has devised a way to shoot them while not alerting his neighbors to what he is doing and here’s how he does it:-

He waits until Sunday morning early ( 6.30 ) when they are either sleeping in or at church and if crows are within range he’ll shoot one low in the body. That area won’t kill a crow outright but it makes him leave the area to die somewhere else where it wont attract any attention to him.

For this purpose he uses an Olympic type air rifle .These air rifles have a counter balance system that removes the normal vibration associated with springer type air rifles. What that does is to permit a higher level of accuracy. Also, they are low powered, moving a pellet at only about 500 F.P.M. However, that rifle is ideal for his surreptitious sniping as it is also the quietest of all his air rifles.

At the end of his street there is a public school, a primary school I believe and during the week it attracts a lot of crows, due to the abundance of food the kids leave lying around. Of course on weekends there are no kids there but still the crows hang around. Fred says that after he shoots one he waits for about 5 mins. or so on average then he usually hears a great commotion of squawking crows at the end of the street. That means the one he whacked has just died. When a crow dies among his buddies they get very upset and squawk their heads off for about 15 mins.

In Fred’s case that school is over 150 yds. from his house so no one is thinking that he may be the source of the big fuss, so where there’s a will there’s always a way.

Bazzaloo.

Replies