Home Main Category General Firearms

Varget competitor IMR 4166 ?

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,977 Senior Member
edited June 16 in General Firearms #1
I've been trying to find Varget for a co-worker without any luck so I started research a substitute. IMR 4166 seams to be the ticket and is available on line. Brun rates, pressure and load data seem very similar and its temp stable Some say it doesn't meter as well as Varget. Anyone tried this powder?

Another I need to do a little more research on is SW Precision which claims to be more temp stable than Varget. 
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,978 Senior Member
    Varget is the only one of the three I'm familiar with, so unfortunately I'm no help
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,699 Senior Member
    Once it arrives, Reloder 15.5
    It is not temp sensitive, and is right in there as well
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,568 Senior Member
    I have used a decent amount of Varget and have a pound of 4166 to try some time.  I Have not gotten around to testing it yet though.  I planned on using it in a 6.5 Grendel.  Probably not an ideal case to be using to judge the powder though.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,632 Senior Member
    I burned a small mountain of IMR 4064 in my 600 yard .308 load with great results back before the similar burn rate Varget existed.  I've since transitioned mostly to the temperature insensitive Hodgdon Extremes even though my shooting has become much less intense, but, if it's available 4064 may be a good sub for you.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    My co-worker wants a powder that is now temperature sensitive for his 300 Savage. Temps in PA can vary dramatically and that's why I suggested Varget as a starting powder until I couldn't find it.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,596 Senior Member
    The distance he will shoot a 300 Savage in PA he doesnt need Varget. I can check when I get home but I think it I ended up with 4064 or 4895 grouping sub MOA at 200 yards with a Hornady 150gr SP out of the 99 with the 4x scope.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    Thanks.