To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,544 Senior Member
    That is quiet!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,555 Senior Member
    Need to try it on deer, Science!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    Nice!  I loaded up some .308 subsonics a while ago, and when I ran them through my suppressor- you could hear them pop through the paper on the way downrange.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    edited June 19 #5
    FUN!

Suggest you try it with some 220 grain round noses, or maybe some .30-30 150-170gr flat or round noses, depending on what you're trying to do.

In lead bullet casting, we get to deal with the compromises and paradoxes of alloy hardness for increased speed vs. softer stuff for lower velocities that MIGHT expand on impact vs. velocities too low for ANYTHING to reliably expand.

As such a harder, flat-nosed bullet is a very popular option in that game, as it will still do a fair job of disrupting tissue.  The blunt tipped bullets kind of get you to the same place.  If they expand. cool.  If not, it still makes a good fist to punch with.

Your 147 grain / M80 ball bullet may or may not tumble on impact, but I wouldn't count on much of a terminal effect from it at those low speeds.  Still, a great and cheap gallery load!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 343 Member
    Bigslug said:
    FUN!

Suggest you try it with some 220 grain round noses, or maybe some .30-30 150-170gr flat or round noses, depending on what you're trying to do.

In lead bullet casting, we get to deal with the compromises and paradoxes of alloy hardness for increased speed vs. softer stuff for lower velocities that MIGHT expand on impact vs. velocities too low for ANYTHING to reliably expand.

As such a harder, flat-nosed bullet is a very popular option in that game, as it will still do a fair job of disrupting tissue.  The blunt tipped bullets kind of get you to the same place.  If they expand. cool.  If not, it still makes a good fist to punch with.

Your 147 grain / M80 ball bullet may or may not tumble on impact, but I wouldn't count on much of a terminal effect from it at those low speeds.  Still, a great and cheap gallery load!
    I have these for the hunting. If I choose to use subsonic loads to hunt. We have a legal minimum power limit for deer and it won’t be enough with subsonic speeds.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,434 Senior Member
    TurdusMerula said:
    I have these for the hunting. If I choose to use subsonic loads to hunt. We have a legal minimum power limit for deer and it won’t be enough with subsonic speeds.

I loaded some of those at "max" subsonic speed from my 8.5" 300BO (1080fps/ 329ms) Their terminal performance is nothing spectacular

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,276 Senior Member
    I've given up on hunting any critters with my .300 blk out and 210 gr Hornady subsonic loads.  Every wild hog I've shot has dropped where I shot it, usually with a good head shot.  Every hog has scream bloody murder (pardon for the pun) until I've walked down and put it out of it's misery.  I'm into clean kills and not slow dead shots.  I've gone back to 125 gr super sonic loads for hunting.  Quick clean kills!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    To not derail this thread, Jeff, you have a PM
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,276 Senior Member
    My apologies, just sharing my experience with sub sonic ammo for hunting.  I replied to your PM

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    You didn't derail it IMO, the question I IM'd you would have though

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,852 Senior Member
    Wow! My asleep at the wheel disposition missed that bullet makers were making bullets for subsonic hunting. Very cool technology!